Who's correct??

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Who\'s correct??

Bright guy says the PT Rage (41 Lumens) is brighter than the Tec 40 (28 Lumens).
Flashlightreviews.com says the Tec 40 (1300Lumens/Meter²) is brighter than the Rage (400 Lumens/Meter² ).

Who has the correct numbers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Tomas

Banned
Re: Who\'s correct??

That's akin to asking which is more water, one cubic foot of water or 12 square feet one inch deep?

(Both are the same amount, but one spreads it over 12 square feet and the other concentrates it witnin one square foot ... )

The question is, should one be measuring brightest spot or most light output? Depends on one's needs, and are two totally different things.

(I.E.: My laser pointer puts out a brighter spot than my Arc LS, but the Arc certainly puts out more light ... )

tomsig03.gif

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened

I understand your explanation but I still think someone has there numbers mixed up.

I find the lumen rating brightguy gives hard to believe.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened

I found these searching thread......I am not the only person who thinks there is a problem here. So Tom I understand but the numbers are stilll funny.

Something's wrong there - the Rage (which would probably be a really good option for her to carry) with 4 AAA (2 watts) doesn't have more output than the Tec40 with 4 AA (4 watts)... Quickbeam

Maybe my source, brightguy.com has the info messed up. If you've got the numbers, please let me know before I go out and buy something. From the Rage page, I get 41 lumens. From thetec 40 page I get 28, but you're right, the 4AAA to 4AA difference is wierd....flownosaj

Plus my own Lux readings at one meter:
Rage: 400 Lux
Tec40: 1300 Lux
(for reference, E2: ~1500 Lux)
Something tells me BG may have misplaced a decimal or something...Quickbeam

Empath

Flashaholic

It won't provide the full answer for you, since you seem to disregard Tomas' explanation, but consider also that the Rage uses a Xenon bulb, whereas the TEC 40 is a non-xenon halogen.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened

I don't have any exact measurements, but shining them on the ceiling and alternating back and forth it looks like the Tec40 has an edge in overall ligh output. I had fresh batteries in both lights and the Tec40 had a fresh bulb as well.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
It won't provide the full answer for you, since you seem to disregard Tomas' explanation, but consider also that the Rage uses a Xenon bulb, whereas the TEC 40 is a non-xenon halogen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disregard Tomas' expanation. His explanation makes perfect sense. That still doesn't make up for the fact that the numbers seem to be incorrect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

THANK YOU Quickbeam for looking into this.....I appreciate it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightguy responded that the numbers he is using are from the PT literature he was sent - so they're not his numbers, but PT's.

However on their site they list the Rage at 2 watts and the Tec40 at 4 watts. Double the wattage but less light? I don't think so....