E2D LED Defender and LX2 - What's diff?

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Recently got an LX2 for my pocket to back up my duty belt Streamlight stinger (reserve state LEO) because it was small, bright, and water-proof. Now I am reading about this E2D LED Defender.

For LE application which do I want? The draw-back to the LX2 is no click on - and the E2D seems to have that feature. Is the E2D also water-proof? And what accounts for the around $50 difference in price of the LX2 over the E2D?

Don't know a lot about lights other than streamlight duty lights (that's what state buys), just joined this forum a week ago, so forgive my ignorance. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

KEW

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forum. I too carried Streamlight for over a quarter of a century working as a street cop. They are very good lights, rugged and dependable. I have since gone to much brighter lights. Mostly mods but Wolf Eyes is making some really bright stuff that is very well built.

As for your back-up light in your pocket I have found the E2DL is a great light but it is sharp on both ends and does not adapt well to pockets. Especially when you are getting in an out of a patrol car several times a night. I love the size of the L4 but like most of us here we like really bright lights. I have 4 of them with MC-E mods. They are seriously bright with a lot of flood but very little throw. If you are in a rural area you probably want something with throw.

As you as you are familiar with Streamlight take a look at their TL-2 LED and the Poly-Tac LED. Both good lights at a decent price. Nova Tac T120 is a great pocket light too. Good luck in your search for another light and stay safe.

Last edited:

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
according to surefire customer service this afternoon, the strike bezel and the different settings (5 lumens v. 15) on low are the major differences. they advised there is no difference in beam patterns. that's what they told me--i cannot verify the identical beams.

zven

Enlightened
There are three basic differences between the LX2 and the E2DL (referring to it by its model number, E2DL, rather than its name, "E2D LED Defender", should help to avoid confusion with its incandescent counterpart, the E2D).

1. Crenelations - The E2DL has them, and the LX2 doesn't. They can be handy if you might ever need to make use of your light as a striking weapon. Or they can make it more cumbersome and obnoxious to carry a light in your pocket. Depends on your intended use and preferences.

2. User Interface - The E2DL is a clicky, where successive clicks scroll through the two output levels. The LX2, as you know, is a dual-stage momentary/twisty. The E2DL is easier to set to constant-on, but the LX2 will allow you to do things like use momentary-high while you're at constant-low.

3. Cosmetics - The E2DL is annodized black, and has aggressive knurling (great for grip) and a bezel-up-only pocket clip. The LX2 is "natural" colored, has a body machined for a compromise between grip and pocketability, and features a two-way pocket clip.

Other than that, these two are pretty much the identical (beam pattern, efficiency, waterproofing, etc.). The reason for the price difference between the two is likely due to the added complexity (in terms of engineering, not necessarily for the user) of the switching mechanism. More detailed information is out there if you do a couple searches for it. I hope the above is helpful.

Hero

Newly Enlightened
zven hit the nail on the head with his post. I will say that what bothered me about the E2DL was that if I wanted to hit the high beam again right after (within 2 seconds) hitting it once already, all you can get is the low beam. I want to always have access to the high beam.

kniveton

Newly Enlightened
One small additional comment (since I have been comparing these two lights for my next purchase).. the "natural" finish of the LX2 is actually a Hard Anodized finish. So it may be somewhat more wear resistant than the normal black anodizing of the E2DL.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
One small additional comment (since I have been comparing these two lights for my next purchase).. the "natural" finish of the LX2 is actually a Hard Anodized finish. So it may be somewhat more wear resistant than the normal black anodizing of the E2DL.

The anodizing on the E2DL and LX2 are the same, type-III hard anodized. Lights such as the 6P only have type-II anodizing.

-Evan

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested the new LX2 and it is 100% regulated with 2 Surefire CR123 cells and 2 IMR 16340 cell:thumbsup:

With both cells I got the exact same OTF lumens; which start at 250 upon turn-on and hold it pretty well.
IMHO: the tailcap 2 mode momentary low/high is what caries that $50 premium and well worth it.

________________________________________________________________________________LUMENs__________________ 5m lux______ 1m lux________
Surefire LX2________________Stock__________2 Surefire CR123__________249.2______1 sec_____376______9,400_______
__________________________________________________ _____________ 245.4______30 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 243.1______1 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 239.2______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 237.7______3 min_________________________
Surefire LX2________________Stock____________2 IMR 16340____________251.5______1 sec_________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 245.4______30 sec________________________
_________________________________________ 497mA at tail___________ 243.1______1 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 240.0______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 238.5______3 min_________________________

bigC

Last edited: