Fun with glow powder and epoxy

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a L.E. for my Gnap Griffin using a XP-E Q3-5A and thought why not try a glow powder surround:
DSCN0622.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

Than my SS ITP EOS said me too! me too!

first a wax impression of the existing surround and fill with glow epoxy;

DSCN0637.jpg

DSCN0639.jpg

now install;

DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0643.jpg

that's a itty bitty glow surround!
DSCN0645.jpg

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
how long will it glow for after you turn the light off?

5 min, 20 min an hour?

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
It glows for hours actually, of course it gets dimmer on a nightstand as time passes but it glows bright enough through most of the night to find it easily..

The itp pill wasn't very difficult to remove just smaller than most, I have somemore q3-5A emitters coming in and they are going into a couple of these little guys. Will post beamshots when installed. It was far harder to cast the tiny glow epoxy ring surround that covers the emitter on the itp than removing it.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just used a heat gun to heat up and loosen the glue in the pill and then used small round nose pliers inserted into the two holes of the converter board and slow steady pressure turning. Patience is the key, you may have to heat it several times to get just enough heat to loosen the pill and not damage the convertor or reflector.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for a glow epoxy, did you make it? Where can i get some? I tried some glow paint on a plastic isolator between the led and reflector, but I didn't get those results. Any help is appreciated.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I went on the glowinc website before and they wanted $15.00 shipping for a 1/2 ounce of water based glow paint in the states. ridiculous.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
1/4 oz glow powder is $3.99
USPS first class shipping is $4.31

The powder works much better than the paint.

1/4 oz. goes a looooooonng loooooooooong way!

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the fast response. Do you paint on the epoxy. Is it manageable. Can you use it to paint insides of bezel or flashlight tubes etc....If that is the case I will go that route. I know that some people just buy the powder and clear paint elsewhere. thanks let me know.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
hey olrac, you can disregard. I went to site again and they were offering me a very expensive shipping option. I went with the glow paint and first class, now it is reasonable. I hope i like the paint. if not, i could still always get the powder

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Griffin I applied it around the emitter using a toothpick as it is thicker than paint, it self leveled as it dried. On the ITP I made a wax cast of the emitter surround and filled the cast with the glow epoxy. As long as you are patient this is a relatively easy procedure, search through CPF member Darkzero's L.E. mods if you want to see some expert examples of glow powder modding.

Edit: cool and good luck. be sure to post your results. :thumbsup:

Ganp

Enlightened
Hey Carl, I really like what you have done with that glowing XP-E light engine. :thumbsup:

It looks as though the XP-E is OK with the Griffin reflector too.

Colin.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Colin, Yes it creates a great beam. There hasn't been an emitter that I have come across that I have not been able to produce a quality beam in the Griffin. I have to say you created one hell of a light in the Griffin, still my all time favorite light! :twothumbs:twothumbs Still would like a C cell version of this light. :naughty::poke:

Carl