Why is pizza so good?!?

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
I love pizza. I just don't know why. And my favorite is just a simple pepperoni pizza. How can so few ingredients captivate my pallet like this?

Is the key to it all marinara sauce?

When I want to get really cut, I like to go out with an indulgent meal. Why is that meal always pizza?

I love the local-favorites (Bullwinkle's in Juneau, Moose's Tooth in Anchorage) just as much as I love Costco-Pizza (Regional Big-Box Club).

Why?

Don't get me wrong. I also love those small tiny little cheeseburgers from McDonald's with the sliced pickles and diced onions as well, but pizza still wins. Enlighten me please!

Last edited:

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
Fat and Salt? Is the key to it all those two ingredients? I must look into this.

------------

Edit/Update:

After experimentation, I have found that too much salt is seriously gross. Haven't found that there's ever too much marinara-sauce, cheese, or pepperoni though. Perhaps they simply contain the proper balance of salt without over-doing it.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pizza Rules! I'm lucky to live in a great pizza area. My son is an absolute fanatic. If there was a CandlePizzaForum, he would be on it.

Illum

Flashaholic
When your body is deprived of some chemical or agent it will trigger a search through a list of "cognitive indexes" that contains what chemical agents is in the prescence of certain foods you have consumed in the past. So in the event that your body is deficient for whatever chemical is available in pizzas it will naturally make you think pizza.

There is scientific truth to this, I'm not making this up:nana:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fat and Salt? Is the key to it all those two ingredients? I must look into this.

------------

Edit/Update:

After experimentation, I have found that too much salt is seriously gross. Haven't found that there's ever too much marinara-sauce, cheese, or pepperoni though. Perhaps they simply contain the proper balance of salt without over-doing it.

That is because if you put the salt in it, you are aware how much is in it. The majority of pizzas contain extremely high levels of sodium. A few slices of pizza can easily contain 100+ mg of sodium, especially with pepperoni. A typical person shouldn't really intake more than 1500 mg of sodium per day. It seems like virtually every food these days is extremely high in salt, since people don't really pay attention to the salt content like they do with fat content. Canned soup is among the worst foods for sodium; a single can of soup can easily have 1600 mg of sodium. If you actually realize how much salt you are eating, it becomes fairly gross to eat it.

The cheese on pizza is also mostly fat. Any pizza that has cheese on it has a very high fat content.

So basically, it is a combination of the salt in the sauce and the fat (and salt) in the cheese (also the salt in the pepperoni). Sadly, it seems like food only tastes good if it has fat or salt; food without either tastes pretty boring. However, it is much healthier.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I love pizza. I just don't know why. And my favorite is just a simple pepperoni pizza.

Me too! It's basic, quick to order because it's always ready made, and satisfying.

I'm going to go with salt, fat, crunch, and add one more....carb satisfaction. It's great mountain biking food when I eat it for lunch and ride in the afternoon.

ryball

Newly Enlightened
Pizza and burritos... the two most perfect foods created. I am still trying to figure out how to meld the two. Calzones are close, but just not quite right...

N10

Newly Enlightened
that is such a good question...but i still think it depends on personal taste...my dad can't eat pizza..he can't stand melted cheese...i lovee pizza

JeffInChi

Enlightened
A pizza can have all the food groups on it or in it all at once.

Didn't eat all day?

A pizza will cure what ail's ya!

Illum

Flashaholic
Out of the major Pizza chains, Pizza Hut, Papa Ginos, Dominos, etc., which one do you think is best?

I don't know, I'm not a fan of pizzas.
I'll eat it under peer pressure when I'm at an event, but personally I usually won't buy pizzas if I'm just with myself

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
Out of the major Pizza chains, Pizza Hut, Papa Ginos, Dominos, etc., which one do you think is best?

It depends on what day it is. I rotate through Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's and Little Caesar's. When I start to get sick of one, I'll move on to the next.

It seems that the best pizza is found at the little independently owned places though. There's a pizza place in Parkersburg WV called (oddly enough) The Pizza Place. They make possibly the best thin crust pizza I've ever eaten. Unfortunately it's a 1.5 hour drive to get there.:(

Barbarian

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with pork fat and cheese. The only thing missing is a lot of sugar. :sssh:

I like my pizza to be one mean SOB (sausage, onion, and bacon). :grin2:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Papa Gino's hands down!

The sauce has such a great spice to it..while the crust gives you just enough fight!

SO good... I would even give it a "21 torch salute!" :tinfoil:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Ahhh.....I was just thinking about what I wanted to eat. Popped a Mystic (Pepperoni) Pizza in the oven just now.

I like to first take off the pepperoni, add some pizza quick sauce and extra italian spices, put back the pepperoni, cover with way more mozarella, bake at 485 for 12-15 mins.

Latest posts