Dorcy 4D lamp Mod

bosscrab

Newly Enlightened
I've had this light for years and use it camping. DORCY 41-1015. I hate the 4D setup. What would yall replace with?

Thinking of 3 AAs in one of those holders(newbie, dont know the name) per D batt for a total of 18V instead of 6V

Also would like suggestions for new bulb.
Not sure I'm gonna be able to use the stock 4.8V .75A with the increase in voltage of more batteries.

Would consider totally gutting light and adding LED. I need a new project:thumbsup:

Suggestions please!

Howecollc

Enlightened
Why do you want that much voltage? Most bulbs which use that kind of voltage are too hot for the plastic reflector of that light.

Are you planning on using Eneloops?

For long runtime and rechargeability, I'd recommend 4 ni-cad D cells. NiMH does offer higher capacity, but at the expense of a high self-discharge rate (they only hold a charge for 1 month maximum, whereas ni-cads hold their charge for at least 3 months). 4 1.2v ni-cad D cells will overdrive a 3.6v .82A 3 cell Mag Krypton bulb, causing it to pull .96A at 4.8v for a total of 4.6 watts of overdriven output.

For more output at the expense of runtime and money in your wallet, you could use this Ikelite bulb for 7.5 watts of output. It costs $8.