EverLED and PT 40 or PT 20

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
artar said:
HI,

did anyone tried the EverLED on an PT 40 or PT 20?
How bright is it and how good is the beam ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke to the chief engineer at PT about precisely this.....he has actually done it, and said it works great in the PT40 (didn't try the 20). He said that the ONLY downside was that it makes a great $20 light into a really great $60 light.
He also raised the issue of polarity....which is why PT isn't officially sanctioning the use of Everleds in their lights. He DID say that a stock PT40, if recent production, has the right polarity right out of the package for an Everled (positive terminal on the protruding button of the Everled). If you put an Everled in backwards, you will fry it. He said that at some point in the near future, PT intends to redesign their lights so that it is impossible to put the batteries in "backwards".
Everled has already provided PT with several samples, which PT is now evaluating.

Hope this info is helpful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a 2-cell Epeion in a PT 20 with lithiums. The hot spot isn't very bright as most of the lumens remain in the flood. Other 2-cell lights are better hosts.

The PT40 has the same focus issue.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
steve_vance said:
Damn! Bought another flashlight! Wonder if my mortgage company will acept flashlights for payment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong attitude, Steven, it should be 'I wonder if they'll accept flashlights as *collateral*........'.

And if they won't, perhaps it's time to refinance?

Doug Owen

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can you put the Everled itself in backwards? It only goes in ONE way. Batteries can be put in backwards. Engineers can and do wire things backwards. Engineers can and do make it impossible to use rechargables (PT Impact).

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The EverLed was tested in the following hosts:

TURTLELIGHT 4xAA (Fresh lithiums) Disappointingly dim despite fairly narrow beam. Noticeably dimmer (in all aspects) than UBH/KL1

Ray-O-Vac SPORTSMAN 4xAA (Fresh lithiums) Considerably brighter than Turtlelite. Well focused white beam with slight HID cast. Brighter and whiter than UBH/KL1 ( whitest of my 7 KL1s), but with very little spread. UBH peripheral illumination is much greater.

TEK 40 4xAA (Fresh lithiums) Brighter and more defined beam than Turtlelite but noticeably dimmer than Ray-O-Vac with a beam that appeared slightly blue-tinted. Although it will throw further than the UBH/KL1 or E2E/KL1 (a second KL1), it's total output was less.

MAG 2C (Fresh Ray-O-Vac's) Larger but less coherent beam than Ray-O-Vac, possibly brighter but would need side-by-side tests to confirm, impossible with a single EverLed. Beam characteristics are typical MAG and are very similar to those of incandescents in this light. Total output of UBH/KL1 and E2E KL1 appear greater than EverLed.

MAG 3D (Fresh Ray-O-Vac's) The 3D appeared slightly brighter than its smaller brother, but that could be due to expectation coloring observation. The beam could be focused into a larger non-donut spot than the 2C, which was puzzling given the Mags' identical reflectors. Total output seemed close to UBH.

In a brief comparision with a UK 2L the EverLed was easily dominated. The 2L was superior in output, spot brightness and amount and brightness of peripheral spread, in addition to being smaller and lighter than the other tested lights. Although I admire the design of the EverLed, when walking I will most likely use the UBH/KL1 (3x123, regulated 6hrs+) with either a 2L or brighter 2x123 as spot backup.

Despite this, of the five lights previously tested the best small flashlight host for the EverLeds was the RAY-O-VAC Sportsman, and the best large flashlight performance was in the MAG 3D. Judging only from this single sample, the term "white" most accurately described the central-most portion of the EverLeds' beam, but much of the periphery was pale HID blue. It is certainly whiter than most other 1 watt Luxeons, but still no match for the stark moon-white of the SN II's 5 watter.

The EverLed seems to have met its design goal to be a good, longer-burning (hopefully) alternative to an incandescent lamp in some flashlights, but because of its very narrow beam I personally would not use it as a LED substitute. EverLed is to be commended for creating this sophisticated, versatile and eminently practical little device.

Brightnorm