Fishing

choppedliver

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all! New here, but have been reading the posts for about a week now. I have a "rusty" degree in electronics, but I know nothing about modding flashlights so all this is new territory for me, but I am a quick learner.

Was wondering if you guys could help me out with a project Ive had in my head for a while. I have searched the forum already and have not found a solution.

I have a 3ft long piece of pvc with a mr16 50watt halogen bulb siliconed into the end. The 3ft long pvc is 3/4" diameter but can be bigger. The mr16 fits nicely into a piece of 2" pvc if I recall correctly, and I just run lamp cord to alligator clips and clamp on to a 12v lawnmower sealed lead acid battery towed behind on a float. So power is not a problem. The problem is even a halogen 50 watt will drain a battery after a few hours.

Anyway, it looks like this. The light is mounted 45 degrees from the shaft.

\ 3ft pvc
\
\ _ mr16 bulb

It looks like the ssc p7 bin c would have as much lumens if not more than my 50 watt halogen. A little more, a little less, not a big deal. It's in the ball park.

I'd like to have submersible solution using the p7, using cheap pvc or perhaps aluminum tubing. I have a TIG/GTAW machine also.

I've got two ideas. One powered from the 12v battery, and one with "c" or "d" cells in the 3 ft tube.

Ive been reading about buck and boost , direct drive, FAQ's, etc, but still learning and very anxious to get started just need some help... whew... it's a whole 'nother world out there. The more challenging aspect I think will be trying to make this thing submersible. It doesn't have to withstand water pressure, as it will only be submerged a max of 3 ft.

All help appreciated! I look forward to your comments and hope I can be of assistance to you guys once I get some experience under my belt.

spencer

Enlightened
You are definitely going to need a buck driver. There are many cheap ones available. The Cree MC-E might be another option for LED.

bosscrab

Newly Enlightened
I have made a gigging lights out of same 12V halogen bulbs and a 4' "green light" out of a 40 W fluorescent bulb in clear PVC and run it on 12V. It hangs vertical in the water column both out of pvc.

I think PVC would be fine but, if you can weld that always looks cooler and the water would suck any heat away from from the light if it were metal.

How are you using the light? Walking or in a boat? I would use a 12V if possible unless your walking.

:welcome:.
I'm interested in what you got. i can always use another fishing light:sssh:

choppedliver

Newly Enlightened
I have made a gigging lights out of same 12V halogen bulbs and a 4' "green light" out of a 40 W fluorescent bulb in clear PVC and run it on 12V. It hangs vertical in the water column both out of pvc.

I think PVC would be fine but, if you can weld that always looks cooler and the water would suck any heat away from from the light if it were metal.

How are you using the light? Walking or in a boat? I would use a 12V if possible unless your walking.

Sometimes I walk, sometimes I use a boat, but either way I typically use a 12v SLA battery. When I walk, I pull it behind me on a float. I can tig weld and do think the aluminum tube would make a great heat sink.

choppedliver

Newly Enlightened

What is your green light? I mean is it "green" color for attracting fish? Or do you mean something else?

bosscrab

Newly Enlightened
What is your green light? I mean is it "green" color for attracting fish? Or do you mean something else?

Yeah its a green fluorescent bulb. A lot of people in SF and the Keys use them for snook. We dont have snook here but trout like them too.

Its something about the green tint that the bait fish like. I've made one w/blue bulb too.
IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

choppedliver

Newly Enlightened
Woo hoo, got my new tig welder today! Merry Christmas to me! :) Willing to trade tig welding services for flashlight modding help and advice!