Initially disappointed, but now, all smiles! (re: malkoff m60 mc-e, milky u2by2)

CQB

Enlightened
My flashlight family just received two of its newest members:

- Malkoff M60 MC-E [used in a SF D3 host] (thanks Ultona!!)
- Milky SF U2by2 (thanks CurlyFry562!!)

First impressions of both lights were, to be completely honest, disappointing.

I had my hopes up and expected to be BLINDED, even while using these lights during the day, which is what I did when I received them. But I couldn't really appreciate the overall outputs of both lights during the day. And considering how much I spent on both items, I was just a little disappointed, to say the least.

Then... I finally was able to use both lights on a night shift while on duty.

:wow:

First, the Malkoff M60 MC-E. (I *LOVE* Malkoff's products!! They bring my SF's up to another level where other officers keep asking why their SF's aren't as bright, etc, heheheh) I didn't know it was going to be a flood light type of drop-in. So my bad for not researching it a bit more. I was expecting a uber-bright throw monster, actually! LOL!! Instead, this beast of a drop-in, allows me to light up ANYTHING that is in close quarters range. It goes through tinted windows, and allows me to see EVERYONE'S hands, etc. AWESOME light for close to medium range lighting apps. And the darker it is, the better it performs, IMO.

Next, the Milky SF U2by2. Again, when first using it during the day, I just wasn't impressed with the output on max. It didn't leave my jaw on the ground. Again, I wasn't expecting a flood monster, I thought it would be more of a throw monster. But after using it on duty during a night shift, I now appreciate the crazy flood output it provides!! It's like daytime when used to clear cars or rooms. It's a touch brighter than the M60 MC-E from what I can tell, plus the tint is warmer so there is an improved contrast from my perspective.

Both items are of the highest quality in fit and finish. I am very very very pleased with these purchases!!!

I suppose my LumensFactory Seraph P7 TurboHeads (MC-E) may have something to do with my being a little spoiled and hard to please ;) These P7's produce such an immense wall of light with decent throw. THe hotspot is large and is very effective in lighting targets much further in distance vs the U2by2 or the M60 MC-E.

Ultimately, having flood monsters like the M60 MC-E and the U2by2, and having throw lights such as the Seraph P7 MC-E TurboHeads, has me carrying several lights for different applications........ which I am fine with :)

Going forward, I am still anxiously waiting for the arrival of the Malkoff Wildcat MD3. I love the relative small form-factor, that I can continue to use the SF quick holster on my duty belt... from pics I am predicting the MD3 will give me more of the throw I was expecting from the U2by2 and M60 MC-E.

I'll just have to remember to assess the MD3 during the day AND night... ;)
:naughty:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: Initially disappointed, but now, all smiles!

Flood is good. :)

Glad that everything worked out.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can relate to what you went through.

Normally I do my modding during the day so when night comes I can check them out in the dark.

Even though I know my opinion will change once it's dark I still try them out in the daytime and am always left feeling they should be brighter.......that is until its dark out..:crackup:

One of my most recent mods was to a Surefire T1A Titan that I upgraded with an XP-G. In the day it was instantly noticable that it was better than before, but I felt it should have been brighter.
Now that I have been using it for several nights, I can't get over how much brighter and throwier it actually is...it's night and day!!! (pun intended)

Glad you like them, and its good to know that I'm not the only one who has felt this way.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

I try not to test during the day anymore... always gets me upset... then at midnight I get upset again, when I get blinded thinking "It's not that bright" :ohgeez:

:laughing:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad you finally figured everything out. lol
We all get tempted to use out lights asap when we get them.

Just keep in mind, the light produced by LED's is usually more easily affected by ambient light. So being that it was light out, the light output will look extremely wimpy.

Now when it's dark... the darker the better. Plus your eyes are daylight adjusted during the day.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I try not to test during the day anymore... always gets me upset... then at midnight I get upset again, when I get blinded thinking "It's not that bright" :ohgeez:

:laughing:

Yup...used to do it all the time. The new house has a basement area that's about 40 feet long, no windows. If I close the door and kill the lights, you can't see your hand in front of your face...it's my day-time light testing location!

strinq

Enlightened

Oh my i totally understand this.
Have always tested my lights during the day and go...what??? that's it?
And then night comes...

flasherByNight

Enlightened

+1

....I'm always forgetting about the brightest flashlight above puts any of my lights to shame

Gunner12

Flashaholic

It's hard to judge output during the day. That light in the sky is really bright compared to what we can currently do.

I still compare lights in the day though, But I know what to expect ("How close does the light have to be to be visible under sunlight" kind of thing).

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Ive been wanting that M60 MC-E for a while, but its expensive as heck when you factor in that it needs a host. Is it really worth the money?

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
The Malkoff Wildcat should definitely fall nicely in your new cache of flood lights. It is going to be smaller than you expect (I did not think the light was going to be so small, I was very pleasantly surprised), and it will absolutely light up anything within close range. You should get similar performance to your M60, with maybe a little more output. The reflectors have diffusers built into them, so it is not going to throw very well, but the beam is silky smooth, and it will fit the bill for your LEO requirements (vehicle inventories, room sweeps and traffic stops are going to feel like noon inside the car or building).