Looking for something small, light, and bright

PaddyNT

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Newbie poster. I'm looking for recommendations on a new light. I've been carrying a Pelican Mitylite 2AA around with me for years, and I'm pretty happy with it. One exception: the clip breaks off or the case cracks after several months (I wear it inside my front hip pocket, clipped onto the pocket). Alternately, I've carried the Princeton Tec Rage, but it's a bit bulky (I like that it's significantly brighter than the Mitylite). I'm reluctant to carry a metal light for the weight, but if it's small, light and bright, sure! AA, AAA, or 123. LED or Incan doesn't matter to me.

What do you guys recommend?

-Paddy

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
:welcome:

You're going to get a plethora of suggestions.
Mine would be to go for li-ions so it would be 123's.

My personal choice would be the 4sevens Quark 123.

Alternatively the Fenix PD10 and Nitecore EZ123 are good choices.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I think your requirements are too generic, answer this checklist and post it here for us to have a better idea what you're looking for. In any case, I think you're in for a ride.

PaddyNT

Newly Enlightened
Boy, all 3 of those look great. Exactly the kind of suggestions I'm after. The Fenix PD-10 in particular, if I can flip the clip around as needed.

PaddyNT

Newly Enlightened
Here's the completed list...

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in Washington DC area.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I have no limit!

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

4) Width:

____I prefer a long narrow light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use) [Yes... but recommend against rechargeables for waterproof dive lights -- gasses can't escape]

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

- Work on a motorcycle in the dark, change a tire at night in the rain, find my out of a dark room or into a dark theater, and find equipment on the side of a stage.

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)---X------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

8) Switch Type:

____Rotating head switch (slides and clickies tend to come on in the pocket)

9) Switch Location:

____I want a rotating head switch.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I WOULD USE a metal-bodied light.
____I PREFER a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Waterproof – how deep: Up to 130 feet, but likely just in the rain.
____Belt/Jacket clip

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
for an AA light i would probably go with the Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS v3.0 which you can find on bugoutgear.com. It has 3 modes all of which are individually programmable so you can balance output and runtime.

It runs well on a NiMH rechargeable (think: sanyo eneloop) and also very well on a lithium ion, 3.7volt rechargeable.

if you want a slightly (well actually not really slightly) more budget light, head on over to shiningbeam.com and have a look, i personally have bought the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 light which is a 2 mode, 2xAA (or 1xCR123/RCR123) light and the Romisen RC N3 warm white (single mode, but otherwise same as the one above).

If you're going to be using the light outdoors more often, then i would suggest the Romisen RC N3 warm white.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still looks generic to me. :crackup:
But that rotating head switch and extreme throw point to 2 lights, Nitecore SR3 and Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor. Or you might want to try out options that could be your utility EDC, something along the line of Nitecore Extreme, Dereelight C2H or as mentioned Jetbeam Jet-I Pro v3.0 to name a few.

Last edited:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Having a very throwy light without much flood won't be very good for working on your bike or changing a flat.

If you want a light that you can set up just about anywhere in order to light up what you are working on you might actually want to look at an angle light like the Fenix MC10. If you were doing this in a garage you could tailstand a regular flashlight for a nice ceiling bounce, but I'm assuming you are talking about working outside if something breaks down.

PaddyNT

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I imagine like most of you, I always have at least one light on me. Icarried at least 3 in Iraq at any given time (green on the dogtags, red on a keychain, rage/mitylite in the pocket). I feel naked without the Mitylite and need to replace it, so I'm looking to upgrade.

I really do prefer the xenon over LED (earlier LEDs just seemed too stark), but if they are getting better, I'm in!

Great suggestions so far and I appreciate you guys taking the time.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to recommend the Quark 1 AA or 2 AA tactical. Forward clickie switch with momentary. Twist the head for two modes. Although it's a simple 2 stage it is easily programmable if you want to customize it a bit (check out the video). The 2 AA is brighter than the single AA but of course not as pocketable. You can also reverse the direction of the clip. It's a decent light that won't break the bank and will give you a feel for what's out there.

PaddyNT

Newly Enlightened
So far...

Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor - too large and heavy for toting in the pocket.
Nitecore SR3 - impressive, but I want to avoid a tail switch (more likely to get bumped and come on)
Fenix MC10 - nice, but not for pocket carrying.
Nitecore Extreme - nice again, but tail switch.
Romisen RC N3 - tail switch/clip points the wrong way
4sevens Quark 123 - Nice, if I can flip the clip around.
Fenix PD10 - Potential winner.

Now, given the eccentricities above, any other ideas?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd recommend the Nitecore EZAA. Small, light, simple, twistie, and has a good amout of output.

There are also warm white/neutral white LEDs that are more incan-ish in tint. There are Neutral white EZAA at 4sevens, coupon code is "CPF8".

If your price range is truely unlimited, just have someone custome make something for you.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
about the tailcap clickybutton. i havent yet been able to accidentally turn on any of my lights that have been clipped into my pocket, riding in beltholster or hangling loose inside my pocket with other stuff too.

i have three lights total that i have found beeing "on" by accident..
-once: nitecore d10
when i over stuffed the pocket it was in with tools..one of the screwdrivers probably pushed the piston in.. (it is not a clicky flashlight per se)
-3times: zebralight h501
the button is a bit too easy to click on. otherwise its great light!
-over 10 times: in early flashholism i ordered cheap x2t that is twisty-light. its just too slick threads to keep it "off" position.. getting in and out of my car make the light turn on by itself (it is loose when off.. and tightened for on) -now it sits unused.

if you havent tried one with tail clicky.. may i suggest you get something cheap to try one out. and see yourself if it dont work for you.

something like romisen g2 or romisen n3 and test it. they are simple on/off flashlights that are good bang for buck..

and from shiningbeam they are both available with warm tint leds (very similar to incan in tint)

those two are nice enough to use but wont break a bank if you dont like them and you can still keep them as a spare/backup to the nicer light you get for yourself.

**my main vote also goes for quark.

the clip is indeed reversable in most of them. ( i think one of them didnt allow that. and that was the cr123 model.)

fenix.. nonreversable clip.

also if you really want a small and very lightweight.. look at AAA lights . their output will suprise you for sure. look at something like fenix ld01 or cheap itp eos twisty light.. (hey, eos weighs something like 10grams without battery and with one maybe 25 grams? and with the 3mode light the medium setting gives you something like +3 hours of light. and on low +30)

i dont like the fenixes myself ..i dont like the strobe and sos functions that are "in the way of normal light modes". out of 20+ lights i have.. only 6 of them have those blinker modes (and only 2 have them in use.. in others they have been programmed out of the normal cycle.) and those two lights i keep in my car glovebox in case i need to alert others on the road.

i like simple on/off. or 2 to 4 mode lights that have ramp up sequence.. (1st low. then med then high)

PaddyNT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody. Pre-ordered the Fenix PD-20+ I think I'll be happy with it, though I'm not sure if it's a "natural white"LED. Very interesting discussions in the forums and I'm getting a good education by reading through. Too bad this isn't my only expensive hobby - without discipline, I think I'd have a heck of a torch collection.

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
From the list of appications you've provided I would really recommend the fenix aaa series. Especially the LoD or equivellents. Mine is used for everything at all times of day in all weathers. If I could only have one light it would be that. You can clip it anywhere on your clothing and it'll be unoticeable. Its light is variable and bright and it comes on with one twist. It will also tail stand. Perfect for your stage runs and wiring and biking. If you want something a little bigger the Ld10. Even with your new purchase of the double aa I would still recommend you try one. You'd be suprised how useful they are.
Tom

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix PD20+ is a cool white LED. So the tint would be similar to most "normal" LEDs that you've seen.

PaddyNT

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
Still waiting on the PD-20+ to show up, so I decided to get the *natural* white Quark 123. Liked it. Prgrammed it. Gave me what I was looking for in a light.

As I could have predicted, it lasted exactly one day in my pocket before it fell out. Some lucky SOB is the proud owner of a new torch, unless I find it walking around in the dark, back to the Metro tonight.

Clip needs to go farther on the end and be reversible (so it sits deeper in the pocket and the lens end is in the pocket instead of out).

In the dark for another week...

-Paddy

PaddyNT

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the PD-20+ finally shipped today.

Staring at the mailbox...

Latest posts