Something Different for Halloween

Boudreaux

Newly Enlightened
For the last 20 or more years, rather than giving candy to Trick or Treaters, we give flashlights. We definitely are one of the neighborhood's favorite houses for Trick or Treaters!

Instead of spending $50 to $100 (or more) on candy, I pick up buck or cheaper flashlights a few at a time all year long, usually 2AA flashlights with batteries included. I find them at the $ stores, W*M, or on-line. Not only is it a healthier treat, it is a safety treat. Perhaps spawning little flashoholics......

Every child gets a light, but they can also choose to reach into my Trick or Treat Box. In the curtained front box, I switch several bowls containing jello (brains), cold wet spegetti (intestines), play-doh (?) or a flashlight. The child can only pick once. Even though they know they will get a flashlight, most insist on trying to pick it out of the Trick or Treat Box. Those who choose wrong, get to wash their hands and then get their treat.

My wife uses permanent markers to write their name (in that silly dot writing) on their lights. We pre-string them with soft yarn, so that the flashlight can be worn around the neck (the yarn is soft enough that if another child pulls on it, or it gets caught on something, it will easily break preventing any accidents.) It is wonderful to see all the lights bobing up and down the street.

We always have a line waiting and we are starting to see second (maybe third) generation trick or treaters. The only downside is that when we run out of flashlights, we have to quickly pick up and hide at a neighbors house.

WHEN YOU MAKE A CHILD HAPPY, YOU MAY HAVE CHANGED THEIR LIFE! SO, TRY TO MAKE A COUPLE OF KIDS HAPPY IN SOME LITTLE WAY EVERY YEAR! YOU WILL HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THIS CRAZY WORLD....

Does anyone else do wild and crazy things (for the children) on Halloween?

gorn

Enlightened
I picked up several cartons of the LED light you stick on cell phones. A net sight had them real cheap. I took two of the light and stuck them back to back. When the kids showed up they all got nice little 4 LED lights. This year it will be DX keychain lights.

Boudreaux

Newly Enlightened
I picked up several cartons of the LED light you stick on cell phones. A net sight had them real cheap. I took two of the light and stuck them back to back. When the kids showed up they all got nice little 4 LED lights. This year it will be DX keychain lights.

FANTASTIC!

I knew I couldn't be the only one!

Last year I bought a box of over 100 Mini Maglites (Solis, AAA and AA) from a guy on ebay for $56 shipped. I cleaned them up and gave these out (luckily I had quite a few spare batteries.) I presume he got them from some agency that had picked them up at airports. I've had to "throw away' a couple there myself.

NOTE: Target has issued a recall for at least two types of Halloween flashlights. One is a three pack of key ring type. The other is some type of projector display flashlight!

SEE www.target.com for details!

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea. Just don't give them to very small kids as everything goes into their mouths and the small parts/batteries can be a choking hazard.