Fenix Anodizing.. [+Pic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
2qs9esp.jpg

Seriously, i dont think the anodizing is very durable on the fenix lights. Maybe its me, maybe my keys are radio active just stripping the coating off, but i dont think so.

I may be wrong but if i remember correctly the anodizing on the Inova lights was truly indestructible. Its been a while since i owned an inova, but even the X5 i gave to my dad still has no discernible wear on it.

So about fenix anodizing, what do you think?

( btw the light in the image is the new LD01 after a few weeks of being on my keys, how does this compare to other lights you have used on keychains for wear? )

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
dear god, only a few weeks, my fenix e01 is over a month old and there isn't a scratch on it.

what the heck do you do in your pocket???? lol

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
what the heck do you do in your pocket???? lol

LOL!!!:crackup:

My P1D has not a single scratch after almost 2 months in my pocket, but I put it in the opposite pocket of my keys. Still though, there's usually some loose change, etc, but no scratches.

tygger

Enlightened
Must be defective somehow. I carried an LD01 on my keychain for months with lots of keys, lots of rough use, and the wear wasn't nearly that bad.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Yup, definitely defective, and the picture is a bit overexposed, mind cutting the flash down or tighten the aperture up to let see the damage more clearly?

In my experience, my E01 has been in my keychain for 6 months now and there's no wear on it aside from where the key ring goes.

As to my L2D they've been chipped for reasons unknown... actually one is chipped in the end of the light from contact with a hose clamp. The other is chipped in the head, I can only presume I ran it into something by accident... that was while I was in Hong Kong, and I just noticed it one day... could've been there before, but it might've been contact in an unfortunate angle with a coin.

Either way, I have never known Type 3 Anodizing before. But I have to say, in my experience type 3 anodizing should chip rather than scratch... the LD01 you have really looks more Type 2 than 3.

Maybe ask other LD01 owners for their pictures...

Either that or you seriously abused the light... the knurling really shouldnt wear down that far....

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an LOD on my keychain for almost 2 years that looks better than that guy.

Patriot

Flashaholic
techwg, despite the question of durability of the finish, we all know how aluminum behaves and you've somehow worn right through some parts of the knurling down to the smooth radius of the tube. How is this even an anodizing question when it's obvious that the light has been subjected to something unusual? It's almost as if the keys and light were placed in a jar and then subjected to a Baja 1000 desert race. :p

I'm blow away by the wear on your light and have seen Fenix lights tested to destruction that weren't worn through as badly as yours is. :laughing:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
33dil2u.jpg

Full resolution original 4mb pic is here: Click me !

It was just on my keyring dangling with my keys from a maxpedition keyper or what ever its called.

jake25

Enlightened
Are you sure you don't have a chainsaw on your keys:popcorn:

I wanna see a pic of the keys, wow.

My Olive LD01 has been on my keys for a couple months and it looks practically brand new.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Looks like its been rolled. Ive had a P1D on my keychain for about 2 months right next to a Squirt P4 and keys and it doesnt have a single scratch. Although I wear mine on the outside via clip.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something is very fishy here. :) It almost looks like someone tried to grind down the knurling with some kind of abrasive wheel (power tool) and hit the body of the light too. It's very odd how the knurling around the front has such uniform wear to it.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the keys its been in contact with, externally... dangling on my maxpedition Keyper. So every time i love, jingle jangle..

ncd27o.jpg

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw, i showed you the most worn side, the other side it way less worn. The only wear comes from the side the mostly was in contact with my keys. a little bit of the knurling on the other side still looks partially black, although is still worn

EDIT

Actually i had to clean and rewax my keys since it had black all over them on some parts, so my guess is either that was dirt or anodizing, it was very very black, so i doubt it was dirt.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you wear REALLY tight pants where the items on your keychain could rub against your Fenix with a fair amount of pressure, and you do a lot of walking around with them like that?

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
seems possible...all my fenixes, surefire, quark have scratches on them..oh well not caring too much about it. but if it looks like his flashlight in one yr or less then i'd be upset,

how long have u been carrying that flashlight? and how much walking do u do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts