• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: Milky Sandvich (Direct-drive high-power sandwich)

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so i was wondering about possibly having a 'simple' direct drive sandwich made for running in a Groovy as a pocket rocket. I was originally thinking a PhlatLight SST-50 or SST-90, but then reconsidered the traditional quad-cores (MC-E, probably). Problem is, half of the cost of this project would be R&D. Regarding the original...

Milkyspit said:
Tough to ballpark the cost on this... given cost of the emitter itself, my guess is somewhere between $85 and $145.

Regarding mass production,

Milkyspit said:
If everything went perfectly and I had parts in front of me, already known to fit perfectly, focus nicely, etc., the cost for the build would still be $85-115 depending on cost of the emitter and reflector...

Anyone else interested in maybe a group buy?

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a direct drive sammie, that seems pretty expensive if you ask me.....

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
More details: it's a 10+ watt sandvich. There will be heat.

Plans (albeit tentative) involve reflow soldering the emitter to a solid copper heat sink, and finding a nicely matched reflector. There will be significant labor involved in tuning said heat sink and reflector combination to ensure the best possible beam. Also, pains will be taken to ensure adequate thermal transfer to the body when coupled with some kind of heat-sink paste.

Imagine it was a reversible Roomsweeper mod, as that's basically what I asked for.