My impressions of the XR-E Q5 vs. XP-G R5

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PD with the XR-E Q5 and the Quark 123 Ti with the XP-G R5, and I don't feel that the XP-G R5 is a major step forward. Overall it is a slight improvement, but I prefer that light manufacturers reserve their resources for the next improvement in LEDs, unless of course that is expected to be a long way down the road.

I've made many comparisons over a week and here's my final thoughts. They both throw about the same distance, with the XP-G covering a larger area, roughly a 25% larger diameter. While the XPG is more of a flood, it still illuminates slightly better overall, but even so, while I'm using the XP-G, I miss the tight pattern of the XR-E. It just "feels" more powerful even though it's less powerful. That's one thing I like about the XR-E. The XP-G is more of a semi-flood light in your hand. For in the brush, the XP-G is a bit more useful, but not really enough to make it a leap ahead. Therefore, I consider this difference one of the least important aspects when choosing a light. Things like user interface and overall flashlight size is much more important to me.

Also, with a ceiling bounce test, the XP-G appears to light up the room about 15% more than the XR-E. Not a huge difference, but just at the point where it's noticeable.

The color between the two really is different. The XR-E has a slight violet tint, that casts a pastel-like color which is a much more appealing for skin tones and red woods and reddish paints. It's a very pleasing deep color for those types of objects. It also does great with blues and whites, but not as well with yellows and greens.

The XP-G is quite opposite. For the objects that the XR-E excels, the XP-G appears more contrasty and doesn't pull out the reds, blues, and whites as well, and I much prefer the XR-E. But for outdoor foliage and even orange/yellow indoor wood objects, the XP-G has much more of a natural color. It really brings out the deeper greens and makes foliage look very lush, while the CR-E appears more contrasty and brings out the branches and definitely has a tendency to highlight things within the brush rather than the brush itself.

I came across a deer and of course I had to test a bit on it. It was definitely more curious about the two lights than I was. It kept trying to come get a closer look so I had plenty time to see how they lit it up periodically. The XR-E made the deer stand out a bit more than the XP-G, and of course the XP-G made it seem more natural.

Also, the XR-E really makes white objects stand out and the XP-G sort of blends them in. Thus for a boating light, I would much prefer the XR-E. It would enhance the objects that I need to see better instead of the smooth blended color of the XP-G.

Even though it lacks the ability to bring out the lushness of foliage, overall I prefer the color of the XR-E, but this is subjective and other people may prefer the XP-G's color. I have not seen a dedicated "warm" light LED yet.

Again, I prefer that light manufacturers reserve their resources for the next improvement in LEDs.

If anyone is interested, I might put up some beam shot comparisons of various conditions.

EDIT: As pointed out, there's much potential with the XPG that could possibly make it an greater improvement than just this comparison.

Last edited:

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
Re: My impressions of the XR-E Q5 vs. XP-G Q5

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I would like to see some beam shots if possible.

Ethan

Dan FO

Enlightened

I have the PD with the XR-E Q5 and the Quark 123 Ti with the XP-G R5, and I don't feel that the XP-G R5 is a major step forward. Overall it is a slight improvement, but I prefer that light manufacturers reserve their resources for the next improvement in LEDs, unless of course that is expected to be a long way down the road.

I've made many comparisons over a week and here's my final thoughts. They both throw about the same distance, with the XP-G covering a larger area, roughly a 25% larger diameter. While the XPG is more of a flood, it still illuminates slightly better overall, but even so, while I'm using the XP-G, I miss the tight pattern of the XR-E. It just "feels" more powerful even though it's less powerful. That's one thing I like about the XR-E. The XP-G is more of a semi-flood light in your hand. For in the brush, the XP-G is a bit more useful, but not really enough to make it a leap ahead. Therefore, I consider this difference one of the least important aspects when choosing a light. Things like user interface and overall flashlight size is much more important to me.

Also, with a ceiling bounce test, the XP-G appears to light up the room about 15% more than the XR-E. Not a huge difference, but just at the point where it's noticeable.

The color between the two really is different. The XR-E has a slight violet tint, that casts a pastel-like color which is a much more appealing for skin tones and red woods and reddish paints. It's a very pleasing deep color for those types of objects. It also does great with blues and whites, but not as well with yellows and greens.

The XP-G is quite opposite. For the objects that the XR-E excels, the XP-G appears more contrasty and doesn't pull out the reds, blues, and whites as well, and I much prefer the XR-E. But for outdoor foliage and even orange/yellow indoor wood objects, the XP-G has much more of a natural color. It really brings out the deeper greens and makes foliage look very lush, while the CR-E appears more contrasty and brings out the branches and definitely has a tendency to highlight things within the brush rather than the brush itself.

I came across a deer and of course I had to test a bit on it. It was definitely more curious about the two lights than I was. It kept trying to come get a closer look so I had plenty time to see how they lit it up periodically. The XR-E made the deer stand out a bit more than the XP-G, and of course the XP-G made it seem more natural.

Also, the XR-E really makes white objects stand out and the XP-G sort of blends them in. Thus for a boating light, I would much prefer the XR-E. It would enhance the objects that I need to see better instead of the smooth blended color of the XP-G.

Even though it lacks the ability to bring out the lushness of foliage, overall I prefer the color of the XR-E, but this is subjective and other people may prefer the XP-G's color. I have not seen a dedicated "warm" light LED yet.

Again, I prefer that light manufacturers reserve their resources for the next improvement in LEDs.

If anyone is interested, I might put up some beam shot comparisons of various conditions.

I agree, I just got my AA Ti Quark XP-G R5 and I don't see the real advantage over a XR-E Q5. I like the tint of the Q5 better. I just don't see any major advance here. I am not unhappy with the Ti Quark, it's a great light for the price. I would be just as happy if it had a SSC U2 Bin in it. ;)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the read it's interesting see people's opinion on this new emitter. I guess I just had higher expectations for it but its still early in the game to call it.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the input and information. I have been very interested if upgrading to the XP-G is worth it. While it does offer improvement, you have to evaluate how much it actually matters.

jkilo

Newly Enlightened

Been lurking a while, but this is my first post. Very interesting read, you might have just saved my pocketbook, as I was looking at another light solely based on the emitter (xp-g). The first decent light I bought was a fenix P3D (p4 xr-e), and it so outperformed my previous lux1 lights that I was awestruck.

I have been chasing that "wow" feeling since then, and haven't seen any major improvements. Thanks for injecting a little clarity of thought into this addiction!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you like the narrower beam of the XR-E Q5 light, a turbo head Quark is now available. (larger head, larger reflector and narrower beam) It will give you the throw you like along with a brighter beam, always options.

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened

Despite the fact it's a cool tint, I really like the beam produced by the XP-G in the Ti Quark because it's floodier than the XR-E used in the original. On Max, it totally lights up a room. I agree it's not a totally different experience, but if you're looking for a night and day difference, you need to step up to quad die or multiple emitters.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Because of the larger die size, the beam pattern will be wide, as you found out. Also our eyes don't sense changes in light very well. 2x the lumen output does not seem like 2x the output to our eye. More like a noticeable difference then big difference.

If you want more, then either a larger reflector, drive the LED harder, or a brighter LED.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't forget about efficiency! So even if you want to run the light just slightly brighter than an XR-E, your batteries will still last longer.

Once the die become more standard and if they roll out a new multi cores, the power savings will be too significant to not care, especially in lights that have multi - multi core leds in them.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

...Also our eyes don't sense changes in light very well. 2x the lumen output does not seem like 2x the output to our eye. More like a noticeable difference then big difference.

Brightness perception was a very interesting study for me a few years back. There's a lot of history riddled with controversy resulting in modern formulas for computer monitors and CGI based programs. I created an online optic scope performance calculator with interactive graphing that calculates relative performance based upon light gathering, magnification, and brightness perception. Check it out... http://scopecalc.com/

Marduke

Flashaholic

The really big advances are under the hood, where the average Joe doesn't look.

Lower voltage droop, lower Vf, lower thermal resistance, etc.

These aspects cannot be seen by simply shinging a light on a wall. You need to understand them to really appreciate them.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Thanks for the info and your calculator. Questions, what was the current to the LED's for both lights, and lux at one meter?

Bill

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

The really big advances are under the hood, where the average Joe doesn't look.

Lower voltage droop, lower Vf, lower thermal resistance, etc.

These aspects cannot be seen by simply shinging a light on a wall. You need to understand them to really appreciate them.

That's very true. This is only one light with the new emitter and I'm sure there's plenty more potential. Maybe it's power/output curve will generate some impressive returns with more power, and the lights coming out soon with larger reflectors will surely help with etendue to create a balance of throw that many would find much more preferable. I added to the review to acknowledge this.

EDIT: I just noticed the flashlight cop's in the house :wave: I shall tread very carefully.

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info and your calculator. Questions, what was the current to the LED's for both lights, and lux at one meter?

Bill

No idea about their driven current and I haven't measured lux yet. I'll get back on that.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Brightness perception was a very interesting study for me a few years back. There's a lot of history riddled with controversy resulting in modern formulas for computer monitors and CGI based programs. I created an online optic scope performance calculator with interactive graphing that calculates relative performance based upon light gathering, magnification, and brightness perception. Check it out... http://scopecalc.com/

Ooo, nice.

Thank you for your site!