Bleeding off voltage for Mag85

buickid

Enlightened
So I just insta-:poof:ed two 1185 bulbs. The first was my mistake, I let 'er rip fresh off the charger. I let it rest 24 hours, and :poof: again. I need to build something that will bleed off some voltage, I can't keep buying bulbs! :mecry: These Eneloops sure are potent. :ohgeez:
I was thinking about getting some kind of 12V bulb and soldering short leads and alligator clips to it. A minute or two of burn should do it, I think. Anyone built something like this? Suggest a bulb to me. :thumbsup:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi buickid,

A 12v 100w MR16 lamp (available at Lowe's, home depot etc) with a couple of clips and wires for 60 seconds or so should do the trick, even with a freshly charged pack. There is a cpf member who builds M*g 85s and sells them publicly on his website that sells an item just like it for that purpose, so you are not the first to encounter this problem. If you would like to see pics of his setup look up Black Bear flashlights or Borealis on google.

Hope this helps.

juancho

Enlightened
The Bleeding Lamp need to be of MR 16 50 watts 12 volts.
Available at Home Depot and Lowes'.

Here is a picture of the prototype (We make it better, now)

dischargelamp.jpg

For 9 powerex batteries the time to plug the lamp is 45 seconds
For Eneloops make it 55 seconds.

That will remove the over-charge

For Mag 85's that use potted bulbs (more internal resistance) deducts 10 seconds.

Cheers
Juan C

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi buickid,

A 12v 100w MR16 lamp (available at Lowe's, home depot etc) with a couple of clips and wires for 60 seconds or so should do the trick, even with a freshly charged pack. There is a cpf member who builds M*g 85s and sells them publicly on his website that sells an item just like it for that purpose, so you are not the first to encounter this problem. If you would like to see pics of his setup look up Black Bear flashlights or Borealis on google.

Hope this helps.

A 12v 100w MR16 lamp will pull about 7 amps which is too much for most NiMH AA cells including Eneloops.
As Juan mentioned, 50 watt is good enough.