ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nichia 365nm UV Light offerings (NEW 5-12-17)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nichia 365nm UV Light offerings (NEW 5-12-17)

See bottom of post for update.

Hi guys,
    Through the years I have received numerous requests for a flashlight hosting one of the Nichia High Power UV LED's. I've done a few customs but pretty much just built some for for myself and a few others. I finally bit the bullet and had a run of custom MCPCB's made for the latest generation UV LED, 033A.

I have made up a few 3 speed light engines with these LED's designed to run off a single lithium primary or rechargeable. The LED is rated at 700 mA max and the light engines drive the LED at a target of 500 mA with the medium and low levels PWM reductions in duty cycle at 500 mA. I can and will make up more as needed now that I have the MCPCB's. Should I get caught short, there could be lead time involved in getting more LED's.

The Light Engines:

I was stoked that these will work well in both of my current lights, the Haiku and XR-U. In the Haiku, the centering ring on the reflector does have to be removed. I discovered that the canvas prints I have had done of some of my images fluoresce under this LED and I used a 16"x20" print of a frog fish as a back ground for a couple beam shots:

The beam is about the same coverage comparing the Haiku spill angle with the XR-U spot flood angle. The Haiku has an intense and well collimated spot that throws quite well by virtue of the tiny image size of the UV LED. What is not apparent in the beam shots but is noticeable to the naked eye is that the XR-U has a slightly more intense outer ring compared to its center. At least this is the case for the visible light that is emitted. The 365nm LED does have some visible light but it is not intense and certainly does not overwhelm any target items which fluoresce.

The 033A LED is a very impressive LED and they don't come cheap!! For more info, I have uploaded the spec sheet PDF which can be found, HERE. It is not a toy and it needs to be used with regard for safety for yourself as well as others.

I don't know what demand there might be for these but I won't know without making them available.

Initially I am going to offer the UV LE in 4 options and see how it plays out. I have a hand full of the aluminum EN Aleph Mule McClickie sets that can be host for one of these as well as the titanium Haiku and XR-U. So there are three posible turn-key lights to be offered as well as the LE alone.

If you want a UV LE (light engine) by itself I want to suggest that it is compatible in an Aleph Mule head powered by a single CR123 or R123 cell. You can also host one of thess LE's in an Aleph A19 head but you will need to shorten the length of the reflector. You can accomplish this by filing down the front end of the reflector until it and the LE fit properly in the head. You can also use an existing SunDrop XR-U to host one of these LE's. Please post any questions here in this thread so that others can benefit as well.

The offering:

Haiku UV $515 (Complete light)
    XR-U UV $505
    (Complete light)
    Ti Mule UV 3S $480 (Complete light)
    UV LE $200 (separate; just the light engine)

Titanium Mule Head UV 3S (head only) $310
    Titanium Mule Head UV 6V (head only) $315

The three complete lights are coupled with the 1x123 standard clickie paks.

boiler plate verbiage:

I do want to state that my hope and intent is to process the e-mail orders for these on a first received/ first processed basis and ideally the response to your e-mail order will be a notification of shipment. I don't want to add to the number of communications by sending an acknowledgment prior to generating the postage notification.

These lights are available on first come first serve basis; as determined by e-mail orders I receive which are clear, concise and include the must have information:

In the subject line of the E-mail please state: Haiku UV, XR-U-UV, Ti Mule UV, UV LE or one of the head only offerings

Your CPF name
    (if you have one)
    Your real name and mailing address
    phone number if international shipment
    Any exceptions to standard shipping, which is priority mail.
    If the shipment is domestic and you want insurance, please so state. (No insurance offered on international shipments)*

For my general info on how I process these offerings, please refer to THIS THREAD.

I will keep this initial post updated with any changes in the offerings or lead time issues should I run short of the LED's. I do not have the lights completed so there will be some assembly time required but this shouldn't cause any delay unless the demand for these exceeds my expectations. These lights can serve a real purpose for some of you but by in large, there are very specialized in nature and the cost of the LED itself is a real deterrent.

EDIT (9-29-11): Addition of Sapphire 365 nm UV light to the offering. Details in post #169

EDIT (5-12-17): New 365 nm UV LED from Nichia and lower pricing

To make it easier for computing the pricing of a UV based Light, Just add $30 to the price of a light configured with the XPG2 or 119V LED. For instance a Haiku HIVE XPG2 1x123 light is $460 so a UV Haiku HIVE would be $490. For more information on the new Nichia UV LED I am using, please refer to Post #254 in this thread.
    Last edited by McGizmo; 05-22-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: New UV LED and pricing
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Re: Nichia 365nm Light offerings

Wow, these look amazing!

Very Nice Don!

Can these be used to cure Norland optical adhesive quickly?
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DaFABRICATA View Post
    Very Nice Don!

Can these be used to cure Norland optical adhesive quickly?
    Yes, cures Norland very quickly. That's what I use my Ti PD UV Mule for.

Glad to see these are being offered & at excellent prices!
    Last edited by darkzero; 10-28-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    -Will-

Sorry, I have retired from flashlight modding & I do not make custom flashlights. Thank you for your understanding.

My Mod Archive

These look great! I'm familiar with some UV uses. These are the ones I know of:

- curing Norland adhesive
    - checking currency authenticity,
    - checking IDs
    - scorpion hunting

Are there other uses I am missing?
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

UV Photography.

(Some of my UV captures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-i...7600151220643/ almost all are reflected UV)

I have been in touch with Will and Don.

My interest in these are for photography- not just fluorescence but for reflected UV photography.

Couple of things I would like to add re: NCSU033a

They do not have any visible light output at all. The pdf has a spectral trace and that is true. I have checked it with a spectrometer. And despite the heat they generate, there is almost no IR from these either.

So, whatever appears to be visible (pale blue) is a very small portion of the 375~380nm side bands. The true output is at 365nm and that is 50~100 times what is visible.

This means, without proper eye protection, they are guaranteed to damage your eyes.

Use extreme caution!

These are unlike any currency checker flashlights out there!

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    These look great! I'm familiar with some UV uses. These are the ones I know of:

- curing Norland adhesive
    - checking currency authenticity,
    - checking IDs
    - scorpion hunting

Are there other uses I am missing?

Another application is in the dermatologist's office, as a replacement to the traditional Wood's lamp (peak @ 365 nm), which is used in various aspects of examining the skin. (Little known party trick - if you have erythrasma, your groins, or other affected area, will fluoresce coral red under 365 nm light).

I am a complete noob to McGizmo stuff. Can someone tell me if visible wavelength light engines are available to increase the versatility of the turnkey offerings here?

Thanks!

I'm looking for a source for Nichia 365nm leds.

Flashaholic

http://www.springerlink.com/content/...2/fulltext.pdf

The link details a study on the feasibility of using 365nm LED light for use in sterilization of water. My current water source is borderline for fecal coliforms but passes all other criteria for municipal drinking water. I hope to have a few tests done this summer to see if I can sterilize small batches of well water to potable standards. Maybe McGizmo magic can deal with pesticide residue as well?

Are these still available?

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK18 View Post
    Are these still available?
    yes
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Well, posting for the first time in a while to ask a (maybe?) silly question...

I recently moved out of Alaska to southwestern Arizona, where I understand some of my new neighbors are scorpions. I know a lot of scorpions fluoresce under UV light, but is this the right wavelength to make them glow at night? I haven't gotten stung yet wandering around the desert after the sun goes down (night photography in a place where there's not 340 days of cloud cover is a whole new world!), and I'd like to keep that the case as long as possible.
    A government is a body of people usually notabably ungoverned.

Does anyone know if the UV mule could be usefull to sterilize or at least partially decontaminate stuff ?

I was thinking water decontamination, or killing germs on your cellphone, keyboard, mouse, keys etc.

If yes, any idea what kind of time would be required with the Mule so actually do something ?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post
    Does anyone know if the UV mule could be usefull to sterilize or at least partially decontaminate stuff ?

I was thinking water decontamination, or killing germs on your cellphone, keyboard, mouse, keys etc.

If yes, any idea what kind of time would be required with the Mule so actually do something ?
    Check my link in post #116.

First, let me say that I am not a microbiologist so my knowledge in this area is extremely limited. My original interest in this LE was fluorescing salt deposits in crude oil heaters but I have interests in many areas of science.

I roughly measured the output of the UV LE in a Sundrop XR-U head to be 16mW/cm2 (using a Laserbee I). When you factor in that power was measured on an area of about 7cm2, irradiating to a target of 27J/cm2 becomes impractical in my mind.
    Still, I figure there's a possibility for this to work. I took samples of run-off water from near my house in Pro-Clean bottles. I transfered 2 liters through a 5 micron filter to a translucent water bladder and suspended the UV Sundrop on high inside. I finished walking my dogs and transfered the water in the bladder into a new Pro-Clean bottle with a total irradiation time of 160 minutes. 5 day Biological Oxygen Demand was reduced enough for me to be comfortable drinking it (I'm not posting the actual numbers as I feel this one time test doesn't necessarily prove anything). As far as potable water goes, I would say you are better off using a SteriPEN. Dry surface irradiation is possible (SteriPEN does not function outside of water), but I feel the amount of time required to hit the target energy make it more of a novelty than a practical application.

Last edited by nbp; 09-21-2011 at 09:12 AM.

LarsB,
    Quite an information and example rich post there! I find UV light facinating as it is light that we can't see but energy none the less. Some critters do see it and exploit this. It's fascinating to see how minerals and life forms will fluoresce under UV or near UV light in the absence of other light. I assume this is not something that critters and creatures can exploit since UV light does not occur in nature by itself; at least to my knowledge. I have yet to take a UV light underwater and I do have some reservations in doing so. I have read where some dive lights have UV blocking filters in consideration of potentially harming sea life and I wonder if there is some danger in subjecting the reef to strong UV sources? Clearly blue light is present at any depths that sunlight penetrates but I wonder what the presence of shorter wave length light is.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    LarsB,
    Quite an information and example rich post there! I find UV light facinating as it is light that we can't see but energy none the less. Some critters do see it and exploit this. It's fascinating to see how minerals and life forms will fluoresce under UV or near UV light in the absence of other light. I assume this is not something that critters and creatures can exploit since UV light does not occur in nature by itself; at least to my knowledge. I have yet to take a UV light underwater and I do have some reservations in doing so. I have read where some dive lights have UV blocking filters in consideration of potentially harming sea life and I wonder if there is some danger in subjecting the reef to strong UV sources? Clearly blue light is present at any depths that sunlight penetrates but I wonder what the presence of shorter wave length light is.
    Dear McGizmo,

thanks a lot for your kind reply!

On the contrary, it appears that corals use fluorescence to convert available UV and blue light into visible light, at greater depths where UV and blue light is the only light left (since all longer wavelengths are filtered out by water), in order to feed their symbiontic algae, which allows them to thrive at greater depths than corals without fluorescence can.

So in fact UV light is essential to their survival!

It also appears that fish use fluorescence for intra-species communication, at least at short distances, and for camouflage, when they live between fluorescent corals (since non-fluorescent fish would sharply contrast with fluorescent corals in the background, making them an easy prey).

It also appears that the energy delivered by UV lights is much lower than that originating from natural sunlight.
    Artificial UV light should therefore not harm any marine life.
    Moreover, the commercially available fluorescent diving lights are all blue, not UV.
    And the HID lights used by thousands of underwater photographers emit a large amount of UV anyway, so much so that the most common UV lights for diving are simply HID lights equipped with an additional dichroic UV filter in front of their lens.

See also the threads Dive Blacklight (UV Light)? ("Has anybody seen an underwater blacklight (ultraviolet light) for sale? I know many corals and things are fluorescent so I was wondering if a uv light would make them glow with strange colors -especially on a night dive. Any ideas?"), UV Night Dive?? ("I've seen a few posts about UV night dives but have yet to see any details. Are they offered through dive shops? Is it something that you do on your own. It looks like a VERY cool dive. Any info you guys have is greatly appreciated."), UltraViolet light... ("Does anyone have any experience with an underwater UV light? Especially in making one from UV LED's. I've made some regular LED lights with white light and red LED's but some folks have talked about using UV to make the colors pop with corals, etc. But would UV damage coral??"), and Biofluorescent fun with your HID light.
    Last edited by LarsB; 09-23-2011 at 04:58 AM.

LarsB,
    Thanks for the insight. I have a reasonable idea of what happens with the visible spectrum of light as you you leave the surface and go down in depth but no good feel for what happens with the invisible sides of the spectrum. With ambient light present, I don't perceive the fluorescence of coral and I suppose falsely assume that the ambient UV was therefore not significant or strong enough to generate any fluorescence. I guess the acuity or sensitivity of other critters is different than mine.

I recently purchased an IR converted digital camera and put together a UW system with the camera and a couple IR flashlights. I hope to use this at night to capture images of nesting turtles and hatchlings if the opportunity arises. I took the camera underwater yesterday in day time to see what the shallow reef and critters looked like when viewed through a filter passing the IR spectrum. In particular, there is a black frogfish which has been a very difficult subject to photograph as the camera simply doesn't gather reflected light from this "black hole". Its skin is non-reflective in the red and IR spectrum as well. I wonder if it reflects UV light or possibly even fluoresces. I suspect it simply absorbs all light. If my spectrometer were submersible, it would be interesting to record the noon day suns spectrum at the surface and then watch the spectrum change as the sampling port were lowered into the depths. But I digress .........

I wonder if one could construct a box of glass that only allowed UV light passage with a camera or viewing port on top and the bottom open if you could place this over a portion of reef and view the florescence using ambient light as the source of UV? I would think so.

LarsB,
    Thanks for the insight. I have a reasonable idea of what happens with the visible spectrum of light as you you leave the surface and go down in depth but no good feel for what happens with the invisible sides of the spectrum. With ambient light present, I don't perceive the fluorescence of coral and I suppose falsely assume that the ambient UV was therefore not significant or strong enough to generate any fluorescence. I guess the acuity or sensitivity of other critters is different than mine.
    Actually, some fluorescent corals have been discovered because they were bright red in depths where no red or almost no red light is present anymore.
    So despite our sensitivity for certain wavelengths possibly being very different from that of marine life, in some cases ambient light does not prevent the detection of biofluorescence with the naked human eye.

I recently purchased an IR converted digital camera and put together a UW system with the camera and a couple IR flashlights. I hope to use this at night to capture images of nesting turtles and hatchlings if the opportunity arises. I took the camera underwater yesterday in day time to see what the shallow reef and critters looked like when viewed through a filter passing the IR spectrum. In particular, there is a black frogfish which has been a very difficult subject to photograph as the camera simply doesn't gather reflected light from this "black hole". Its skin is non-reflective in the red and IR spectrum as well. I wonder if it reflects UV light or possibly even fluoresces. I suspect it simply absorbs all light. If my spectrometer were submersible, it would be interesting to record the noon day suns spectrum at the surface and then watch the spectrum change as the sampling port were lowered into the depths. But I digress .........
    Sounds like a very interesting project!
    However, I wonder how far your IR light will actually shine under water, since water absorbs longer wavelengths first, I imagine that IR having a longer wavelength than red, which is the human-visible colour filtered out first, IR must be heavily affected as well, and travel only for very short distances in water.
    Maybe some of the black you saw is due to that?!

I wonder if one could construct a box of glass that only allowed UV light passage with a camera or viewing port on top and the bottom open if you could place this over a portion of reef and view the florescence using ambient light as the source of UV? I would think so.
    I believe that ambient backscatter would still overwhelm the fluorescent light.
    Consider how even street light at night illuminates the interior of a completely dark house in such a way that you can usually move around in it quite easily - and humans do not even have the best night vision of the animal kingdom!
    What I want to say is that backscattered light travels very far and illuminates even quite hidden hooks in a house.
    Now imagine what backscatter light must do in bright daylight!
    And also consider how faint the fluorescent light is, as you can see in my videos.
    I believe that you don't have a chance to observe biofluorescence under the conditions you described.
    Unfortunately!

And even if it worked, it would completely destroy the magic of these neon signs in the dark which are these fluorescing marine organisms, at night, under water!
    You would lose the most beautiful and enchanting part of it all!

Don.
    Are you using the same emitter you did in the earlier part of this thread?
    Has there been any updated emitters today?

Still working with the 033B.

Still working with the 033B.

Don. Earlier you mentioned in the Haiku UV setup, you had the centering ring removed to accommodate the UV emitter. What other emitter LE combination can I use with this Haiku?

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    Don. Earlier you mentioned in the Haiku UV setup, you had the centering ring removed to accommodate the UV emitter. What other emitter LE combination can I use with this Haiku?
    Nothing else I am aware of or at least working with.

Default Nichia 365nm Light offerings

I don't believe Don does. He orders the head and body in pairs. Selling you the head will leave him a headless body.

Enlightened

Thanks for the info mate.

Default Nichia 365nm Light offerings

Kitman22. Since you are already prepared to buy the LE and head, you will not save a substantial amount by leaving the body out. It is probably better for you to just buy the whole sapphire. At least you would not get the head mixed up. Just my 2 cents.

Flashaholic

Hello Mr.Don,

UV LE $200 ×1
    Sapphire version which uses a Nichia 5 mm 365 nm UV LED ×1

I want to order LE and sapphire UV.

Is there the stock?

Thank you
    E-J-J
    Last edited by E-J-J; 12-03-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Hello E-J-J,
    Yes, I can build bott the Sapphire UV as well as a UV LE for you.

If you want to see what underwater fluorescence looks like (which is what I was using the Nichia UV LEDs for),
    and why some people say that it is like being in the movie "Avatar",
    have a look at this video of mine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V9TCdCbX6U
    This video was made with blue light (around 450 nm) instead of UV, however,
    because, as I found out by trying, the fluorescence is much stronger with blue light,
    apparently because marine life has adapted during evolution to the properties of water,
    which is more transparent to blue light than it is to UV.
    Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast