Toronto woman ID'd as victim in coyote attack

Vesper

Enlightened
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1149776.html

Sad story reminded me of an episode that happened to me:

After college in the mid-90's I was working evenings at a local community center. One night on the way there my car broke down (69 VW Bug) on a very dark stretch of road that went on for several miles. Not having a cell phone then, I started huffing it on foot (and no I didn't have a flashlight :ohgeez:). About 20 minutes later a police car pulled up, asked me what was up and said I might want to get in as a pack of coyotes was running up the road behind me. I jumped in, he killed the engine and lights and turned on his spot. Sure enough about 6 sets of eyes shortly appeared running up the side of the road about 75-100 yrds back. He hit his lights and drove toward them and they scattered into the trees. Gives me the chills just typing this... Anyway, reading stories like the one above make me all the more happy providence of some sort sent that officer my way at that moment (thanks to all police BTW for what you do). I can't image those coyotes were doing anything other than stalking me.

Just another reminder to not head out unprepared. Anybody else with similar experiences?

Burgess

Flashaholic
A very sad and tragic story, indeed.

Many coyote are in my area. Often hear them on my nightly walks thru our woods.

Even tonight, on my 2.5 hour walk, i heard 'em calling in the distance.

The report Linked above, states:

" . . . . coyote attacks are rare unless the animal is diseased or provoked by humans"

My question is . . . .

How does one "provoke" a coyote ? ? ?

:confused:

Can't say that i've ever even SEEN one, but hear 'em all the time.

_

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
So coyotes do attack humans... Wow. My friend and i was wondering about this since we saw a pack during a night jog. Since we are city boys (Los Angeles CA) we were thinking that they would not attack something as big as a human. They took off when i hit them with my M60 equipped Z2 but we spend the rest of the night looking behind our backs ever few mins. I am just pretty amazed and worried about their survival skills. We rarely see wild dogs in the neighborhood and never any predictors. Is pretty amazing that they can survive in such a populated area at all. At this time they are staying at the wooded area around the neighborhood. But i am worried if they would come down to the more populated area and if they do what kind of impact they would have.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up on the edge of LA suburbs, and we'd hear them on our property most nights.

I never heard of them attacking any people in our community, but they would take down dogs that were bigger than any single coyote.

We had lots of small animals over the years (ducks, chickens, rabbits, etc), and even the strongest, most elaborate pens and cages only managed to postpone the inevitable. The coyotes would eventually get them (and they got *all* of them). We had some rabbits in an elevated pen - about 2' square x 5' long - and I went out to feed them one night and found a coyote in the pen (he'd broken up through the wire mesh bottom). Saw one of my cats nearly get taken one night, but I scared the coyote off with my old 2D Eveready.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Terrible story.
We've had them in our neighborhood forever. I've been hearig them a lot lately, and last night one ran across a pretty major road right in front of my car. it was late, and no one else was around, so I stopped, put on my hazards, and lit up the area with a 6P/M60, and saw him in a field right off the road. Good sized, one, too. I'd guess up near 50-55 pounds! Tall and thin, but not as thin as most I have seen. Could be mistaken for a dog pretty easily. Reminds me to keep an eye on my little (28-30 pound) dog in the back yard. Aparently, they have been known to clear a 5 foot fence for a meal...and I have exactly a 5 foot fence. Firepoker/baseball bat plus P7 is the defense of dog strategy. I've thought of putting some pepper spray by the door in case I have to go out, and am able to create some distance.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several dens surrounding the pond I live near. Howling can drive you crazy at 4am when you are trying to sleep. Big ones too. As others have stated, 50-55 pounds is not uncommon. I had a friend here last year from the west coast. He said "Ahhh....who's afraid of a little coyote". He said Coyotes out his way were 25-30pounds. I said "You're in for a hell of a shock here". He nearly freaked when he saw one. He said "It's as big as a full size dog"!

Common thought is that western Coyotes mated with Grey wolves creating the big Eastern Coyote. Keep Cats and small dogs inside if you have eastern Coyotes near you. You don't want to lose the pets you love.

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
Who is responsible for taking care (getting rid) of those animals in a populated area? Again i am from the city i am not too sure what to do with them even if i encounter one. I mean can i shoot it or should i just bring a pepper spray with me when i go for a run. Maybe i should just check with my local laws....

Patriot

Flashaholic
This story gave me a really sick feeling in my stomach. She was obviously a lovely young lady and it's a terrible shame that she succumbed to such a violent and terrifying death. I can't imagine the distress the family must be feeling.

I can't help but to be exasperated by the fact that this poor gal was walking alone in a remote area. My goodness folks, don't do this unless you have minimal protection! I'll never understand the absence of acknowledgment to a planet full of wild animals that are stronger, faster, sometimes bigger and better biters and claw-ers that we are.

I live with these animals and come across them almost daily and it's an infinite oddity that that they'd attack an adult human being unless they were rabid. When ever I see them I chase them as far as I'm able because I like to reinforce the natural fear that they have for us. It's always a concern when I'm by myself out hunting or something but I keep my head on a swivel and I have the means to stop an attack should one ever happen. Walking a dog adds considerable to your risk of encounter especially at night time when they're most active.

Spikeytree
to answer your question it's no one's responsibility for getting rid of animals. There's not much anyone can do. I mean, they've live there naturally and always have, the only difference is that we've built houses on top of their old territory. Out here in AZ we have a huge population that boarders desert type national forest lands and even though houses are built the wildlife runs freely between them with deer, bobcats, mountain lions, huge eagles, hawks and owls that are all capable of carrying off a small pet. I think the key is to just be aware of your surroundings if you live with wildlife then carry a minimal form or deterent and protection. A small air horn and a pepper spray for example. Or an air horn and a small clip knife, or a golf club, or a trekking pole. Anything that's reliable, basic and can be used as a weapon. If you're proficient with firearms that could be an option to depending on where you live.

With minimal forethought anyone can protect against becoming a victim to such a thing.

flashlightpower

Newly Enlightened
Nashville folk - Coyotes issues

Anyone aware of the coyote situation in the Franklin area south of Nashville.

My fiance got a what I believe was an over exaggerated advice from a lady at a pet store talking about people dropping off animals in rural areas and coyotes killing them.

We have 2 dogs (70-75 lbs each) and really dont think there is much of an issue, but figured I'd check in here to see if anyone knew anything about the real situation.

My fiance is a bit concerned because she and her dog, an older lab, where stalked by some coyotes during a walk in California while there was a fire driving the coyotes out of the hills.

Appreciate the advice...thanks

flashlightpower

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nashville folk - Coyotes issues

I wish the mods would not have combined my thread with this one. While I realize that the main subject, coyotes, is the same, the purpose of the threads are very different.

I'm looking for real world experience from individuals in the Nashville area, and the other is to share a very disturbing news story.

My thread is now lost to someone who might have been able to give me sound advice, unless they happen to see the post while browsing.