EDC AA Light that can be used to strike. Suggestions?

snare

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an EDC two AA light.

My guidelines are:
-over 100 lumens
-long battery life
-crenelated bezel on the lens end or at least able to survive multiple hits as a weapon
-tail cap that is either also crenelated or at least able to survive multiple hits as a weapon
-momentary on
-pocket clip or decent quick draw holster available
-easy to EDC, particularly for a small woman
-durable/reliable

The lady and I both study a combat style that is heavy on FMA and kubotan use, so the light being designed with crenelated ends (preferably) or at least designed to hold up to multiple uses as a weapon (both ends too). That is why I am thinking of a two AA light as it will be long enough in the hand to use both ends for striking.

I am thinking of AA batteries for ease of finding them, cost, ease of finding/using rechargables and to standardize battery types in our gear.

Otherwise I'd probably just go with the Surefire ED2. In fact, if there was something just like that in AA, I'd probably be all over it.

As far as programmed functions/modes....honestly I don't need much more than a high, a low and momentary on......maybe a medium level, but I tend to think KISS is best.

I have considered the Nitecore D20. I have never held one. We have handled a D10, the UI was ok. Just not sure about the lens bezel in striking. This seems like the best bet so far.

Another one I have considered was the Fenix LD20, but I don't believe it has a momentary on.

The Fenix TK20 looks good, but I would prefer longer battery life.

Quark Tactical.....but I prefer the regular tailcap for striking purposes....can the regular tailcap be added to the tactical version and have momentary activation?

Thoughts?

xeltrop

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for the same thing recently, well really for any pocket edc that has a functional 'strike bezel'. It seems that many pocket lights have a very minor 'superficial crenelations' that are mostly a styling choice to make them look more "tactical".

The ones I have found that do look promising are:

C-8 3W Cree LED 2xAA

Kingpower K2 3W Cree Q5

MTE C3-1 Stainless Steel Cree Q5

The last one there is a copy of the Nitecore Defender Infinity (which is a great light), it only uses one AA cell so it is shorter and more pocket-able.

If you really want the best pocket tactical light you may want to broaden your search criteria beyond the AA realm. A 2xCR123 light isn't going to be much less like a kobutan than a 2xAA, and it will almost certainly be more powerful.

I don't own any Surefire lights, but the E2D LED Defender and the E2D Executive Defender (which is an incandescent) are supposed to be really the cream of the crop as far as defensive/tactical edc lights (yea...and way more expensive).

Hey it's my first post too!!!

snare

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

I think that would be a bit short, particularly when being used for control/locks etc.

I will try to make something with the same length and see if it would be enough.

This is why I was focusing on the two cell AA lights.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 2AA is kind of long for kubaton. I think I might have the perfect one for you although I'm not too keen on the UI. Introducing "The Teeth", Tiablo TL-1. :crackup:

But the newer version has its teeth blunted. :laughing:

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
I've got a LD10 and it does not have a momentary on. It also shares a bezel with the LD20 and while it is slightly crenelated, it's hardly what I'd call a self-defense bezel. The LD20 would be long enough for use as a kubaton though.

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
I think 2AA is kind of long for kubaton. I think I might have the perfect one for you although I'm not too keen on the UI. Introducing "The Teeth", Tiablo TL-1. :crackup:

But the newer version has its teeth blunted. :laughing:

GOOO! The head on that Tiablo is naaaaaasty!
That thing is definitely a carnivore.

Too bad they nerfed the teeth on the next gen.

xeltrop

Newly Enlightened
I just thought of this. It is probably the best 2xAA flashlight/kobutan item you can get:

A Mini Mag lite (modded any way you like) with one of these: http://www.xcapecap.com/products.html

You wouldn't have the benefit of a tailswitch, but that Tungsten Carbide tip beats any "strike bezel" hands down. It's the ultimate force multiplier, I carry one in my car.

snare

Newly Enlightened
I want to stick with AA. Kubatons are typically 5-6" long.

Does the TL1 do momentary on? I do value that as a disorientation tool.

For some reason lights like the AA2 Quark tactical when not using the 'tactical' tailcap do not allow for momentary on. But if you strike with the tactical tailcap you are striking directly with the clicky switch, no metal around it...so unfortunately I don't think that will do.

I am quite surprised that no one offers a AA light that is long enough, designed to be used as a strike tool on both ends (which, honestly, makes sense because you hammer fist and strike in both direction with a pocket stick/kubaton), and has momentary on. It seems like a logical set of needs in a tactical light. Especially when you are looking for readily available batteries (and I mean everywhere availability) and ease of rechargability.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think it's a good thing that it is harder to find strike bezel AA lights. One less thing for the mall ninjas and untrained people to their hands on.

kts

Enlightened
Fenix L2T V2.0..forward clickie and 2 simple modes...:thumbsup:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would still stick with the TK20, the durability of the form factor more than makes up for the lack of an assault bezel. i just got one and am totally awed by the build

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the new Solarforce offering L2-R.

Comes with the Klingon spikes and entirely customizable based on your preference.

-Trevor

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any AA light can be used to strike depending on the circumstances.

I wouldn't trust the Tiablo light. If the UI is anything like the A7, you will probably get it and never want to use it.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the new Solarforce offering L2-R.

Comes with the Klingon spikes and entirely customizable based on your preference.

-Trevor

You mean these spikes? :naughty:

3mal.jpg

ftumch33

Enlightened
I usually EDC a Surefire 6p with a combat ring and a very bright Cree Q5 drop in, especially on my night runs. What I like is the 6P fits my hand well and the bezel comes out of the bottom of my hand about an inch and a half to 2 inches. I have a 9P also but I find the 9P is too long for my thumb to reach the button to turn it on. I like to blind my bad guys and them beat them silly :)
A surefire L2(the old kind) I actually like better for a kubaton but I find they`re not that bright and need to send them off to someone to mod them so they can be blindingly bright.
Where do you study/train and which martial art?
-Tank