Nitecore PD20 vs 10

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
My D10 Q5 (on sale) from 4 Sevens arrived last week. I bought it because my PD20 is my favorite work EDC light:thumbsup:

My initial observations on the D10 are that the ramping is not as smooth as the PD20 ('choppy')and also it takes on toll on my already callosed hands.
I cant activate it using index finger like the PD20. I have to make a fist and use thumb to push piston.

I have nothing but the highest regard for 4 Sevens products & customer service. maybe i can return it?

BTW my CR123 neutral QUARK is a winner! I'd like to get a turbo version next!

Rat6P

Enlightened
I'm guessing you mean D20 and not PD20.
The PD20 is a FENIX light designation.

zven

Enlightened
Are you having to use the fist/thumb grip because you have to press too hard for use of your index finger to be possible? I ask because the D10 isn't always the smoothest of lights, and you may not necessarily have a problem that would be solved by a repair/exchange.

Personally, I have no trouble using my D10 with my index finger, or any other finger. It's a little tough to use it in a SureFire C2-style grip, where you're activating the light with the base of your thumb, but that's mostly because the piston button is recessed for tailstanding.

In general, if you're finding the action to be stiff (either with the piston action, or head twisting), the solution is re-lubricating it. I've observed this on mine, and I believe the D10 is one of the more finicky flashlights out there when it comes to lubrication. I believe there's a recent thread that talks in more detail about the D10's (stiff) switch, as well as which lubricants are recommended for which parts of the D10 and how and where you should apply it.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The D10 and D20 definitely have a different 'feel' to the plunger action. The D20 is wonderfully smooth, but to be fair, the D10 should not be difficult to operate either.

If the ramping is 'choppy' it's possible you have got one with the older firmware, which has fewer steps.

Try this quick test: ramp the light upwards to a medium level. Then double-click to jump to low. Now press and hold: the light should immediately begin to ramp up again.

Repeat this a few times. If you find that you are having to press twice to get it to ramp up after jumping to low you have got the older firmware, and I think would be entitled to return it.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you having to use the fist/thumb grip because you have to press too hard for use of your index finger to be possible? I ask because the D10 isn't always the smoothest of lights, and you may not necessarily have a problem that would be solved by a repair/exchange.

Personally, I have no trouble using my D10 with my index finger, or any other finger. It's a little tough to use it in a SureFire C2-style grip, where you're activating the light with the base of your thumb, but that's mostly because the piston button is recessed for tailstanding.

In general, if you're finding the action to be stiff (either with the piston action, or head twisting), the solution is re-lubricating it. I've observed this on mine, and I believe the D10 is one of the more finicky flashlights out there when it comes to lubrication. I believe there's a recent thread that talks in more detail about the D10's (stiff) switch, as well as which lubricants are recommended for which parts of the D10 and how and where you should apply it.

Thanks! I recall seeing alot of postings on that topic. I also know NOT to use a petrol based lubricant.
I had the head tightened because I preferred the piston action activation. Losening the head makes it "pushier" and a much more pleasant user experience.
I also now have a momemtary mode not possible with the head tightened. I like it more already...... very cool!!! Thanks again to CPF!

Last edited:

batmanacw

Enlightened
Just cleaning off most of the excess lube helped mine tremendously. I wiped down the entire piston except the o-ring. The remaining lube in the body was plenty. It works very nicely now.

Just give it some time and it will smooth out.