Z58 water resistance?

Illum

Flashaholic
my Z58 tailcap just arrived from batteryjunction after a long overdue period of back orders.

It worked great until I did my first water resistance test by allowing it to stand in the shower to simulate rain. My L6 has not been submerged in water, just standing in it.

the M3 body was bought used from the forum and came with two o-rings on the tail end. I applied a coat of nyogel 760G in all surfaces prior to the test, after the test no water was found to have entered through the o-rings.

this is where the Z58 started acting funky, it will either not light up at all, or it will only light up when the tailcap is tightened down to a specific point, sometimes just before lock-out, other times just before its fully tightened. From tht symptom I'm inclined to think its not a contact to body issue, its something inside the tailcap thats causing this.

The clicking sound did not change, no fluids have been shooked out, and there are no loose pieces that can be heard before, during, or after the click

the tailend was shorted and the light works, so I know for sure its a matter of a bad tailcap. I'll be using this light in part to a Halloween event so I am not going to be able to acquire a replacement in time even if I do call surefire.

Has anyone had the same problem with the Z58 and was anyone able to fix it? from the design I doubt the tailcap can be disassembled but for now I'm out of ideas. :shakehead

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
hmm, they are.
the boiling trick might do it, I know the hairdryer is a fail:thinking:

That watch wrench would be a neat tool to have

Winx

Newly Enlightened
hmm, they are.
the boiling trick might do it, I know the hairdryer is a fail:thinking:

That watch wrench would be a neat tool to have

I opened my Z59 with a needle nose pliers. It opened easily with no heat.

I bought watch wrench tool for that and didn't need it :sigh:

Illum

Flashaholic
I managed to take it apart too, they are different:candle:

nekomane's disassembly

my Z58's disassembly, one integrated clickie, no way I can see or clean the internals

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Tell you what, when those go bad they are DONE.

Only thing you can do is find a bigger spring and rig it into a twisty.

Illum

Flashaholic
What I might do is drop a ball of solder on one of those copper leaflets and run a wire to the center spring, I think that'll do.

Something tells me surefire imported this "preassembled" clickie from somewhere else, its unlike any other tailcap I have taken apart from surefire thus far

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
That may be, don't know. I do know that I have 3 just like it and one of them's a dud. It clicks and sounds fine but it takes 10 clicks to get it to go off most times. I just left it on and used it as a twisty.

Eventually I'll give Surefire a call and get another. Till then it functions.
Your solder idea will work just fine. :thumbsup: