Trans Fats

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I would like to know what you people think of trans fat and if you still eat foods with it or if, like me, you have completely eliminated it from your diet.

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
i try to avoid it like 99% of the time. if you look around though who is the largest % at risk??? (smokers). i have not put much thought about it that way until recently people around me had heart attacks mostly all smoked!!!! if you look around yourself you will see what i mean.if you smoke quit!!!!!!!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I pretty much eliminated it from my diet. I won't knowingly buy anything which contains transfats according to the nutritional label but some things without nutritional information may still contain it.

While we're talking about bad food ingredients who here thinks high fructose corn syrup will end up being the next item eliminated from most foods? IMO high fructose corn syrup is every bit as bad as transfats both for the caloric content, and the long-term detrimental effects on health (see here), but unfortunately it seems to be in almost everything these days.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
More health scare(s) with little true science to back up the claims. I can care less.

It's more about eating correctly then "banning" certain foods because some people don't have the will power to say no.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Being a vegetarian who also avoids fried foods, I don't eat many trans fats. I still consciously try to avoid them though.

Last edited:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
As for looking at stuff on the Nutrition Facts, in the US, as long as there is less than .5 grams of trans fat, they can put Zero. To look past that, see the ingredients. Anything (Partially) Hydrogenated is trans fat. I liked how, as I was living in Canada for the summer, they put almost any amount of Trans Fat on the Nutrition Facts. The bad part was, I'm pretty sure no one else cared but me and it was in everything. Haha. Its pretty bad stuff and can severely increase your chances of developing Coronary Heart Disease. If something I like has it, I have sacrificed it and gave it up. But I must say, Pillsbury Toaster Strudels and Krispy Kremes were pretty hard to give up.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The overall concept here is actually pretty simple. How solid is the fat at room temperature?

The more solid a fat, the better it tastes and longer fried foods stay crispy (liquid fat makes the base food soggy). But, if its solid before its heated up, it will turn back to a solid after it cools down. And even at 98 degrees, is prone to forming blobs that like to grow and collect until they clog up the works.

Natural solid fats (butter) were linked with disease, so they started marketing artificial solid fats (margarine) to take their place. Trouble is, the artificial stuff is even more solid and better at growing and collecting after its eaten then the natural stuff.

Point here, is its not the source thats key anymore. Hydrogenated olive oil (if they made such a thing), would be just as harmful because it would become just as capable of being solid at cooler temperatures.

Liquid good - Solid bad

LEDobsession

Enlightened
The overall concept here is actually pretty simple. How solid is the fat at room temperature?

The more solid a fat, the better it tastes and longer fried foods stay crispy (liquid fat makes the base food soggy). But, if its solid before its heated up, it will turn back to a solid after it cools down. And even at 98 degrees, is prone to forming blobs that like to grow and collect until they clog up the works.

Natural solid fats (butter) were linked with disease, so they started marketing artificial solid fats (margarine) to take their place. Trouble is, the artificial stuff is even more solid and better at growing and collecting after its eaten then the natural stuff.

Point here, is its not the source thats key anymore. Hydrogenated olive oil (if they made such a thing), would be just as harmful because it would become just as capable of being solid at cooler temperatures.

Liquid good - Solid bad

Very well stated.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have avoided all trans fats for over 10 years.

Great explanation, ElectronGuru. So it's basically a plumbing issue. :laughing:
Not quite as simple as liquid good - solid bad. Trans fats are in another category again.

What can be a major cause of poor cholesterol levels is the bad timing of high GI meals and high carbs in general when taking little exercise. Some peoples blood lipids are NOT changed greatly by eating foods high in fat but go to hell with high GI meals at inappropriate times.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have avoided all trans fats for over 10 years.

Not quite as simple as liquid good - solid bad. Trans fats are in another category again.

What can be a major cause of poor cholesterol levels is the bad timing of high GI meals and high carbs in general when taking little exercise. Some peoples blood lipids are NOT changed greatly by eating foods high in fat but go to hell with high GI meals at inappropriate times.

What does GI refer to? I'm not familiar with that buzzword.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It probably refers to glycemic index although GI is also an abbreviation for gastro-intestinal. Many common foods are instantly converted into glucose and spike your insulin level, if I understand correctly.

Instant rice, rice krispies corn, corn flakes, puffed wheat & rice, 40% bran flakes, millet and white bread have a greater or equal GI to sugar. Many otherwise good foods, some fruits and veggies included, have high GI's.

Moderation is the key to our health, just as it is to keeping the CPF running smoothly.