Whoa! 6 Mil CP 1800 Lumens "Long Arm" rechargable 2 hr run time flashlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Re: Whoa! 6 Mil CP 1800 Lumens "Long Arm" rechargable 2 hr run time flashlight?

T-Rex,
I sure do (have an X990 to compare, that is).

I didn't give too much details of the review because it is still a bit aways, but trust me, it will be the review that all flashaholics dream about.....

I will keep everyone posted as more details are planned out.

Like I said, keep your fingers crossed.....

bmsmith,
It's funny because I got the EXACT same question for the EXACT same reason on the eariler post (that I'm sure you read).

Anyway, remember. The term HID simply stands for "high intensity discharge". There are many types of lights that use this technology. I know there are many terms that can confuse someone if they are not careful. (Like the too-often-misused term "Xenon Headlights" to discribe "HID Headlights")

The signature(?) difference between HID and other incandenscent lights (halogen being one type of incandenscent) is NOT the "whiter beam", "longer throw", etc. It is actually that HID lights have NO FILAMENT. As stated in the earlier post, this is why PK likes to refer to them as "Arc lights".
Flourescent lights have no filament also, but they are not "high-intensity".
Anyway, as I was mentioning, there are many types of HID as well. These include: Short Arc Lamps (Xenon Short Arc, Mercury Short Arc, etc.) Long Arc Lamps (Xenon type used in most automotive headlights), Metal Halide Lamps (HMI, HTI, HSR, etc. and also many street lights), etc. HID is nothing new. They have been used in the film and stage lighting industry for many years, you've seen those trucks with spotlights that shoot into the sky, the "sky light" at the Luxor hotel in Vegas, and the lights that were shot up in the sky at the world trade center site this year.

The reason why the Reva mentions that "no other handheld halogen can match....." is because most lights out there use a halogen bulb. They are simply saying that no halogen handheld can match their performance BECAUSE theirs is different. Whether that's absolutely true is still debatable, but that is what they are saying.

Think of it this way, if an auto manufacturer claimed that their new (HID) headlights "out-perform every other halogen headlight out there", it wouldn't necessarily mean that theirs is also halogen.

Hope this has been helpful.
(And double-hoping that it hasn't actually confused you more)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa! 6 Mil CP 1800 Lumens "Long Arm" rechargable 2 hr run time flashlight?

I was reading another posting, and T-Rex posted this web site:

http://www.revainternational.com/lighting/longarm/index2.html

leftshot.gif

Bulb Type - Metal Halide Arc Lamp
Brightness - 1800 Lumens
Shatterproof lense
6 foot drop test
330 ft waterproof
2 hr run time

There are some vital details missing however:

How long is it
How much does it weight
The Price!

Has anyone used this bad boy? Does it really exist?

After all, their site says that:

"US Border Patrols, Military, Search and Rescue, Dive and SWAT teams, Fire Rescue and Law Enforcement around the nation and internationally have selected the Long Arm (tm) as their illumination tool of choice"

I would have thought that someone here would have mentioned this light by now. unless it doesn't exist, or is too expensive?!?!?!?!?

Byron Walter

Enlightened

I'm gonna guess the price is $399. Hey, it's group buy time again!

Byron

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry it's closer to $1300

Have a read through this thread, the Long Arm and a few other HID's are mentioned.

Byron Walter

Enlightened

x-ray,

Thanks for the read. Should have know it would be far more costlier since it is being marketed to the Gov. Our tax bucks at work.

Oh well, I still have my trusty SF M4... presently the brightest torch I own (and bright enough).

Byron

PS: Oops... no light is bright enough!

Kenshiro

Enlightened

Guys,
There will be a detailed review with pictures on this light in about a month or so.

Keep, your fingers crossed.....

bmsmith

Enlightened

I don't see anywhere on the site that says it uses an HID lamp. The blurb under the picure says that "... No other handheld halogen matches the Long Arm(tm)'s performance."

Why compare this light to halogen unless this light is halogen? Pointless otherwise, since any HID is completely different (and not necessarily better) than a halogen. It'd be like comparing apples to oranges. I guess that's why I don't work in marketing.
smile.gif
(no offense to Marketing types out there)

kenshiro, can't wait for the review!

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened

BM,

A snip from one of kenshiro's posts.

The Long Arm RI-2400 uses a Metal Halide Arc Lamp, which is a type of HID.

Kenshiro,

I'd like to have your resources/contacts/job. I could think of all sorts of tests for the Long Arm. You wouldn't have an X990 to compare with that Long Arm would you?

So looking forward to a review of it!

bmsmith

Enlightened

T-Rex, kenshiro,

I guess my original statement didn't come across as well as I had intended. I am not trying to be argumentative, though it's probably coming across that way. I appreciate the detailed reply, kenshiro, and I think I knew most of what you wrote, though perhaps not all. Thanks. I don't remember seeing another post with the same statement. I'll have to find it now. (guilty feelings of not reading prior posts now felt)
smile.gif

With that said, I think a comparision with another HID handheld flashlight would be more meaningful to someone thinking about buying this light. Comparing it with other halogen lights doesn't mean as much to me (and maybe it's just me). It's rather obvious that this light is intended to be bought and used by people with special needs and certain knowledge about what they are buying. What "normal" Joe is going to buy a $1000 flashlight? Given the target audience, which probably understands the technologies such as halogen and HID (or perhaps not?), a statement such as "no other handheld halogen can match..." holds little value in making a purchasing decision. After all, the reason I'm looking for an HID flashlight (and this light in particular) is because I already know that HID outperforms halogens in many cases, especially HID lights of this caliber. Certainly this light would outperform any other halogen. I'm sure the X990 and Maxa Beam do, too. But if Reva states this fact, why not also compare it to the McCulloch X990 or the Peak Beam Maxa Beam? Why should I buy *this* flashlight instead of the others? Brighter? Longer run time? Cheaper? I leave the Reva website knowing nothing more about their light except that it outperforms other halogens (the wording of which makes it sound like the Reva light is also a halogen, which it isn't).

I'm just being stupid and nitpicky, I guess. It just struck me strangely when I read that statement on the web site.
Sorry to make a fuss about something so silly.
smile.gif

- Brian

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened

Brian,
I didn't take it as argumentative. I was throwing my 2 cents in.

No worries.

Ken,
...waiting...

Ratso

Enlightened

bmsmith:

I think the way Reva is marketing it is because most people only know of or own a halogen. This is obviously in the Maxa Beam league and perhaps if they mentioned *"MAXA BEAM"* someone would check it out and maybe buy a Maxa Beam instead. Perhaps Reva thinks the consumer does not know too much about these HID lights and isn't trying to emphasize that the bulb is already 3 times brighter by default but that their light is specially built to be 3 times brighter. Throwing in the competitors could actually mean it has competitors and Reva would rather not have competitors.

G.L.JOHN

Newly Enlightened

The light looks interesting. I would say THE GONCZ HI-TECH M-10-COMET with 3 inch reflector can stand beside and I bet a Lunch that will outperform that light.

Any challenger.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

G.L.John,
Contact Mr. Ted Bear and or Kenshiro. I think there will be an opportunity for you to wager that lunch. :)

- Don

Kenshiro

Enlightened

bmsmith,
You are not being silly at all.
Remember, another member thought the same thing. It's just the wording of Reva's ad. One can get confused.
I didn't think you were being argumentative, either.
Once again, there was nothing wrong with your wording.
An interesting point that you mention is the absence of "competitor HIDs" on the ad. The fact is, all the manufacturers of the HIDs seem to do the same thing.
Xenonics mentions nothing about other manufacturers, neither does Peak Beam, nor Megaray, etc.....
Like you mentioned, maybe it's because they don't want you to know about the compitition. Or maybe it's a different reason.....
Who knows what these marketing guys are thinking?
Ha ha.....

G.L.John,
About that wager.....
Well, I'm tempted to take it because I've already compared a similar spec light to the X990, and I know the result. So it wouldn't be fair.
I'll tell you right now. It doesn't compare.
BTW, are you John Goncz? The designer? I'm assuming you are, so you will know a lot about lights and the specs.....
Here's the explaination.
First off, if your bulb is the Osram/Sylvania HLX64610 (G6.35 bi-pin, 12V, 1600lm), then I have the EXACT same bulb in one of my lights. It's one hell of a light. No doubt. But it does not quite challenge even the 35W D2S HID bulbs.
I modified a different light to use the HLX64625 (G6.35 bi-pin, 12V, 3600lm) and finally it was comparable. Too bad you can't use this bulb in your lights. The NiMH just wouldn't be able to supply the 8~9A current that is needed to drive these babys. The specs for the D2S HID bulb is 3200/3900 lm. But remember, it's not only the total lumens that count. Because HIDs have a much higher color temp., the "percieved brightness" is greater than a lower color temp. halogen bulb.
Also, the much smaller area of the "arc" versus the filament of a halogen makes the HIDs much more focusable. Xenon short arc lamps typically produce an arc that is only 1mm in diameter, allowing for extreme focusability.
Next, the reflector. You know that the bigger the reflector, the less light you will lose. After all, you make the 3" reflectors for the lights for that purpose, right (as opposed to the 2")? Many of these lights use 5~6" reflectors, so.....

That's just a simple explaination, and I really won't go into any more detail, but again, the HLX 64610 is great, but it is not an "HID killer".

Well John, if you don't believe me and you're still willing to bet a lunch.....
Let's do it!
Let me know.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

Damn...just woke from my first flashlight dream. I dreamed that i had the the Long Arm and was running down a paniced city during a blackout...saving people and leading the way with my HID fashlight.

...what a great dream...i'm serious too.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kenshiro, Long Arm claims 2 hrs runtime on high/low? Does it mean it has capacity of switching high/low mode?

The light seems perfect especially its rugged usage claims. The only thing that doesn't match its price is its 14 hours charger. x990 has 4 hrs charger.

Alan

Kenshiro

Enlightened

Alan,
the web site has some confusing info.

But as I said, I will be reviewing the Long Arm next month, so I promise to get to the bottom of things. I will report on REAL runtimes, charge times, and if it has a "high-low" mode, etc.

Until then.....

Be sure to ask me if you want me to test something in particular.

Thanks.

G.L.JOHN

Newly Enlightened

Well, well sombody is questioning my spelling etc.
that is nice... I speak only 6 languages and I may misspeling a word or two. As to the social skill I do not want to sink to the level where the gentlemen is, therefore I am not addresing it. Just an open question how many languages dos he speaks???

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I believe G.L. John has taken My signature line as a comment on him. I am sorry for this confusion. It is I wh have terrible spelling and marginal social skills. :) I can fake one language on a good day, maybe....

Sorry for the misunderstanding G.L. John.

By the way, are you guys going for lunch :)

- Don

Kenshiro

Enlightened

John,

McGizmo is not saying anything about your spelling or social skills.

I guess you got confused because you are fairly new to the board.
Anything that is written underneath the DASHED LINES of a post is simply a "SIGNATURE" of that person. If you check the top of the page and hit the "my profile" link under the big "new topic" button, you will see that anyone can put a "signature" at the end of their post. This can be any quote, poem, anything.....

If you look at any of McGizmo's post, the
"dmcleish.com NOTE: sub standard spelling, typing and social skills." always comes out.
He's saying that his (McGizmo's) web site has sub standard spelling, typing and social skills. It's a joke about himself.

For instance, take a look at the post by T-Rex above, his signature is the quote: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

BuddTx's signature on the very top reads "What happens when you travel at warp speed (light speed), and you turn on a flashlight?"

Remember, it's just a signature, and it's not toward anyone.

The people on this forum are very nice people, they really wouldn't say anything bad about anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts