Hunt Smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all. I just found a nice looking new site today to get some very unusual flashlights, spotlights and headlamps that I've never seen a link posted to on CPF before. The name of the site is Hunt Smart and the URL for it is: www.huntsmart.com Just click on "Lights". They also have a free catalog that you can order.

They appear to cater more to the hunting crowd than anything else, but they have some very unusual spotlights and headlamps that look really cool. Plus I noticed that they sell at least 2 different 12-Volt PR base bulbs which should be of particular interest to many of my fellow modders out there, especially with Wayne's 3-To-Ds nearing release. One is a Halogen 12-Volt and the other is a Krypton 12-Volt. It will be really interesting to hear of someone putting these 2 new bulbs through their paces. I tried to figure out who manufactured them but the info wasn't listed, so these may or may not be anything new. Anyway, check it out and see what you guys think.

As a side note, I have no Earthly idea whether or not this post is in any way a violation of the new CPF rules, but I have posted many such links in the past, I believe, to the betterment of the entire CPF community, so if any over-zealous moderator feels an overwhelming desire to kill this post, then fine. There are other places on the net where I can feel free to post things that I believe will be of help to others. I know that this may sound a bit cynical but I've always been a very strong advocate of free speech and I will only choose to spend my time at a place where I can feel free to speak my mind. I truly do hope that CPF remains a forum that supports free speech in the future, as it has in the past, because I really would like to continue to contribute post here that I believe would benefit everyone that reads this great forum.

On a brighter note, have fun checking out the new link and let us all know if you find any really neat stuff there that I might have forgotten to mention or overlooked in this first post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not in violation of any CPF rules. You're not advertizing for them, just basically giving a "cheers" for them and pointing us in their direction. There is a long tradition of that on CPF as you mention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Now if you start hawking for them on a regular basis and pointing out specific prices and such you may earn a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

I checked out their website and there are some interesting things, but I have to ask, what is "frog gigging" and why would I need a special flashlight for it?!?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
"Frog Gigging" is the sport of hunting frogs with a pointed stick at night. Headlights are used to find you way around the swamps at night! By the way, fried frogs legs are supposed to be good tasteing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S: I would like to thank you for your reply on this matter. For a while there I was worried that CPF had completely sold out or something. It cheers me up greatly to know that I can continue to feel free to post here because I've made a lot of great friends here and would hate to have to go searching for greener, more free, pastures.

As for your "frog gigging" question (HeHe), that is going up to a bull frog, sitting on the side of a pond. at night, with a sort of spear, usually 2 or 3 pronged, and impaling them on it and it does help to have a certain kind of light for the task.

As you probably already know, in France, as well as in some other countries in the world, fried frog legs are considered to be a rare delicacy. When you take into account that the Cajuns in the extreme southern United States are descended from the French, it is little wonder that this is such a popular sport in the southern states. Also, as I understand it, this is also popular among several Indian tribes in the U.S. Believe it or not, even as gross as it seems on the surface of the matter, fried frog legs are very tasty. The general practice in this part of the country (Western TN) is to cut off the legs, pull the skin from the legs with pliers of one sort or another, then soak the legs in strong salt water over night then fry them just as you would fish. Believe it or not, they are quite good when prepared this way.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy: Your post must have gone through just before mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't know if I would be considered cajun. I am mostly French and was born and raised near New Orleans. "frog gigging" lights are used to temporarily stun the frogs by shining it in their eyes so you can whack/stab/capture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif the poor little creatures. I suppose the L4 was designed for this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And yes frog legs taste like chicken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
I checked out their website and there are some interesting things, but I have to ask, what is "frog gigging" and why would I need a special flashlight for it?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to go frog gigging once when I was a kid. (The frogs won /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The gig is a triple-barbed harpoon thing. You see their eyes in the flashlight beam. The ones in the Texas "tank" (pond) seemed to be wise to this, and ducked immediately. I have had frog's legs a couple of times and they were delicious- taste kinda like........ chicken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Larry

bwcaw

Enlightened
Sounds like there are quite a few frog giggers on the forums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is "frog gigging" and why would I need a special flashlight for it???<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Are you kidding !!! I'm a Tennessee boy, and we grew up frog gigging. Any self respectin feller near the Mississippi river that don't no nuthin bout frog gigging would be; well, thought rather strange....

Didja know the legs jump around when they hit the grease ? The ladies get used to it after awhile. Tastes like tender quail.

I finally gave up nocturnal gigging after a few run ins with ol' Mr. cottonmouth. I've seen 'um thick as your upper leg, and twice as mean.

Don't mean I stopped etting 'em, we just switched to daytime hunting with .22's. Helps on skinning, you just blow the front end off first.

Now isn't this an interesting diversion from boring old lights ?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
X-cal- YOU ought to know about this. It sounds like you'r frum around these parts. I was born in Union City, and now live in Jackson.

You ever hunted in the old Rives bottom before the Corp. of Engineers drained the poor thing. ?

In the 50's, you could shoot up a brick of .22's in self defense in one hour. Cottonmouths that would make a great horror movie.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnK: Wow, you live the closest to me of any other member of CPF that I've met yet. I live about a 45minute drive from you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not only that, but you also nailed my preferred method of frog hunting to. Why mess with a gig half the night when you can just blow them in half with a .22. May not be quite as much sport to it but it gets the job done rather efficiently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What's really fun is to use hollow point shells so that you can almost blow the frog clean in half by shooting it in the back bone. Like you said, makes dressing them less of a chore and as anyone that has ever been frog hunting knows, if you miss the backbone then they are apt to jump into the middle of the pond and then they are food for no one but the turtles. Oh yeah, I've never hunted at the old Rives bottom but my dad used to a lot when I was a kid. He has shot many a cotton mouth snake in his day to. The worst is when they are mating. They just ball up into huge writhing balls. It is a site that, once seen, will not soon be forgotten!

And for everyone out there that is saying ew, yuck, I would never eat that, you have yet to try them. Just think, French people wouldn't pay a small fortune for a plate of these things if they weren't good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you miss the backbone then they are apt to jump into the middle of the pond and then they are food for no one but the turtles.>>>>

That's the truth!!! I started out using Rem. Yellow Jackets, then switched to the .22 Mag. Wore out one Win. lever action shooting the tasty buggars.

I'd rather clean a hog than than three or four frogs; wouldn't mess with them unless you had thirty or forty or more; then a little party was in order. Margaritas went well with frog legs.

Noticed you are a college student; I'm a bit older than that, old enough to remember with pleasure the Rives bottoms that your Dad hunted. Ahhh, old times.

You could walk through Union City with a Win. 69A on your back, and no one would think anything about it. I NEVER remember a murder in UC when I was a young man.

They have an active Drug Task Force now.

God, what happened ?

The moderators will probably pull this thread, I suppose it is too interesting compared to SF lights.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to try to make this a more relevant light topic. My dad had the Boy Scout franchise at the time (50's-60's). What else to use frog hunting than the old "bent neck" Boy Scout issue at the time, not dissimiliar to the current military flashlight.

THAT is something that needs to be changed. It was cruddy then, still is.

My 1L SL Twin-Task blows it away.

Heck, anything blows it away.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been meaning to get one of those bent neck metal flashlights to try to modify it with something a bit more powerful. I think a person should be able to do a pretty powerful mod with one seeing as how it is a metal flashlight and should be able to stand up to the extreme heat of a much more powerful bulb.

Perhaps one of those 12volt bulbs mentioned earlier in this thread. I've also considered trying to get one to drill a hole in the bottom of it and run a line out to a gell cell battery pack. That way, you could get a 12 volt gell cell that would be powerful enough to run the light all night long and just design a simple shoulder pack to put the battery in. In fact I ran across a link to a site just today that was selling a charger for a 12volt gell cell for only $11.00! Here is the link: http://www.alzatex.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?command=link_list--00kits&setuid=yes

I built a battery supplied headlamp similar to that for my dad to go coon hunting with years ago that ran on a gell cell and it was powerful enough to burn all night long without running down to an unusable level and best of all it was quite bright to boot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
never hunted frogs, but being chinese i've eaten them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif they're usually deep-fried with flour, and kinda taste like a cross between fish and chicken. there's this chinese delicacy that my mother made me try once when i was a kid that was made from frogs, but she refused to tell me exactly what it was because she probably knew i wouldn't eat it if i did. anyway i suspected it was frog's intestines (!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ) and i didn't like it anyway.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
chamenos: That's neat. I never knew that the Chinese were fond of frog legs to.

Wow, I should have named this thread to include something about frog hunting to, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suspected it was frog's intestines >>>>

Oh God, I've been there, and done a few things, but not that.

Used to travel with a couple of Cajun guys between semesters of college. They would eat the very primeval intestines of blue crabs. Put it on crackers. Ohhhhhhh............It looked like yellow throw up.

Al, have we departed from the topic yet ?

BUT: we used Sure Fire Lights to find the blue crabs on Galveston Island !! I promise !!

You have to approach the crabs from behind, then pick them up from BEHIND. There is a nice place to put your fingers so that you don't get your pinkies severed. One lesson is all you get.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one would like to speak out on behalf of free speech for frogs. After all, how do the frogs feel about this whole grisly business? I really hope that CPF will continue to support free speech for frogs in the future.

Thank you.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't guess they would let me tell the moose story complete with the distruction of the Yellowstone cabin in 1961. Oh well . Back to lights.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
x-calbr8: chinese eat just about -anything- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif people in rural parts of china even eat fried ants, grasshoppers, sometimes cockroaches. there's a chinese delicacy called bird's nest soup, which is made by boiling the abandoned nests of swallows.

johnk: frogs aren't the only animals whose intestines are eaten...pig's intestines are made into a soup as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif there's also a japanese snack called octopus balls which isn't made from what it sounds like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (just the octopus, not its balls)

i suspect this thread is going to be moved to the cafe very soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.