Generic Question: what is the best light.......

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I want to know your opinion on your favorite flashlight. The light has to be portable (not a friggin lantern), handheld, takes a common battery for power, superbright, durable, and most of all GREAT !!! My fav yet is my GREEN surefire 6R... To me it is the perfect size, weight, balance, and overall GREAT !!! Tell me what is your fav, if there is a general consensus of a fav, ill probably buy one to try it out myself. Thanks !!!!!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Current Favourite has to be to the new SureFire M2 with P61 High Output Lamp Module.

Possible Favourites (ones I'm getting but don't yet have);
M3T with MN16
E2
10X

Funny how they're all SureFires. Thats very unlike me!
wink.gif

Al
grin.gif

Clay

Newly Enlightened
Well, a long time ago it was my UKE Mini q-40.

Lately it has been my Streamlight Scorpion and then my E1. But the E2 looks like it combines the best of both of those into one light, so it may be my next favourite...

grin.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I guess I would have to say that I have several favorites:

For long term use:
Petzl Mega headlamp. I love headlamps. When you are wearing one, after a couple minutes you forget that you are in the dark, because there is light every where you turn your head.

Daily carry:
Headlamps dont fit in my pockets or on my belt so I have handhelds for daily carry. I always have my PT Blast in my pocket. I also tend to frequently carry my 2AA Minimag with the nexstar lamp in it. (I will own a D3 in the near future)

Marginally portable:
I have a 3D mag with a xenon bulb. I have had it for a long time and I still enjoy using it. Also (this may be pushing the bounds of flashlight) I like the $20 rechargeable spot lights that you can get a Target or Walmart. They have a lot of bang for the buck... Good for in the truck.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price/size range of 6R, I would recommend Scorpion. It has the same brightness and better light quality. Unlike the P60 bulb in 6R which gives out oval-shaped light, Scorpion gives perfect circle when focused. Of course, some might prefer oval-shaped light.

Scorpion allows adjustable focus, regardless you like adjustable or not, it won't hurt if it's there. It also has built-in spare bulb, no more film canister for spare bulb. Besides, its replacement bulb cost a lot less, you don't need to replace entire lamp module and reflector like 6R.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kb0rrg:
I guess I would have to say that I have several favorites:

For long term use:
Petzl Mega headlamp. I love headlamps. When you are wearing one, after a couple minutes you forget that you are in the dark, because there is light every where you turn your head.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't agree more. I bought my headlamp for backpacking originally and found that it is also great as house hold light. No more biting the mini-maglite when your hands are not free:)

Alan

Size15's

Flashaholic
Alan,
I think you'll find the SureFire 6R uses the R60 Lamp Module which is rated at 50Lu for 45 minutes.
I don't know whether the R60 is an oval beam or not.

I think the whole point of the SureFire 6R is to have a small rechargeable flashlight.

I have quite a few P60 & P61 Lamp Modules, and they are all have pretty much perfect circular beams.

How often do you have to change the Scorpion's lamp? The Scorpion advertising said that the lamps would only last a few sets of batteries. Is this the case?

Thanks

Al

BTW, I find unfocused beams annoying. Personal opinion.

Skyline

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I have quite a few P60 & P61 Lamp Modules, and they are all have pretty much perfect circular beams.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I have to agree with this. My 6P's P60 and P61 lamps are perfectly circular. In fact, I'm so pleased with the P61s that I've pre-ordered the 2001 M2, a Z33 lanyard, and the F62 tipoff opaque cover.
grin.gif

Now, if only there were a nylon holster for it, too...

/mel
grin.gif

Spidey82

Enlightened
my first scorpion bulb blow aft exactly 2 sets.partially because i use ALOT of short bust(3-5sec) . I heard form my retailer that if your batt runs low and u dump in a set of new batt immedately, the bulb will blow. not sure how true this is but it happen to me.
Just wondering how long can a surefire bulb last??? 6P/E2 for instance???

Spidey82

Enlightened
Just some questions.
How waterproof are scorpion???
And how can i take out the switch????
confused.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I regularly dunk lights to see what they will do. The Scorpion leaked a lot at 10 feet. I am sure it would have killed the light if it had been on. The Surefire leaks a little at 10 feet. I would use it for a minute or two max, then take it up and dry it out. So my experience is the Scorpion leaks quite a bit more then the Surefire's. The UKE 2L is an a different boat, literally, waterproof to 100M or 300 feet. I use them diving and have never had one leak, unless I let someone else turn it off and they completely remove the bezel, opening up the light, opps.

Brock

Spidey82

Enlightened
thanx.....
thought the 'O' ring will work under a few feets. Look like i am wrong.
form what i know, lithium are rather reactive when contact with water, so will exposing the batt to water explode????
i do know that UKE's waterproofness means business.do u think i could add an additional 'O' ring to it???
don't have to dive with it jus under a few feet.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Alan,
I think you'll find the SureFire 6R uses the R60 Lamp Module which is rated at 50Lu for 45 minutes.
I don't know whether the R60 is an oval beam or not.

I think the whole point of the SureFire 6R is to have a small rechargeable flashlight.

I have quite a few P60 & P61 Lamp Modules, and they are all have pretty much perfect circular beams.

How often do you have to change the Scorpion's lamp? The Scorpion advertising said that the lamps would only last a few sets of batteries. Is this the case?

Thanks

Al

BTW, I find unfocused beams annoying. Personal opinion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops... my mistake. I messed up a 6R with 6P and forgot that it was convertiable version of 6P. I don't have any idea with light quality with R60.

I know P61 gives out perfect circlular light but personally, I won't take bulb that exhaust a battery set less than 1 hour unless it is rechargable. Hmm... regarding P60, it is strange ....

Regarding life span of Scorpion lamp (or any lamp), I am not qualified to comment as I use light just for fun and emergency, emergency doesn't happen too often though:) I have seldom burnt out any lamp.

I am kind of paranoid person that I carry 3 lights all the time to fit different emergency situation.

Correction : For the price/size range of 6R, 6R is one of best due to its convertibility. If not, 8N is also a good choice due to its extra brightness.

I hope this won't create Sure Fire/Streamlight argument again :)

In fact, I love both of them and they simply target different customer base.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
The UKE 2L is an a different boat, literally, waterproof to 100M or 300 feet. I use them diving and have never had one leak, unless I let someone else turn it off and they completely remove the bezel, opening up the light, opps.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, that's why 2L is one of three lights I carry all the time.

Alan

Skyline

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am kind of paranoid person that I carry 3 lights all the time to fit different emergency situation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, you're not the only one. I carry my E1 in my shirt pocket, 6P on my belt, Photon II on my keychain, M3 in my coat pocket, and Pelican SuperMityLite in my bag. Not sure where I'll carry my M2 when I get it...but I'll find a place!
grin.gif

/mel

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skyline:
Heh, you're not the only one. I carry my E1 in my shirt pocket, 6P on my belt, Photon II on my keychain, M3 in my coat pocket, and Pelican SuperMityLite in my bag. Not sure where I'll carry my M2 when I get it...but I'll find a place!
grin.gif

/mel
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm.... I think there's a kind of emergency situation that you might not be able to cope with, a situation that you need to run fast to get out of:)

Alan

Size15's

Flashaholic
Spidey82;
I have never broken a SureFire P60 or P61 (but believe me, I have tried)
One of my P61 lamps has had maybe 10 sets, and the P60 in the G2 has run through maybe 6 sets, but since before Christmas.

While the SureFire lamps are more expensive, they are now more reliable.

Regarding DL123As and water... If you expose hot DL123As to water, they start to froth. I do not suggest you try this.

New Millennium SureFires are designed to be waterproof.

Alan,
Yes, SF and SL do have different customer bases... Flashlights for different uses.

Hot off the press:
SureFire R60 is discontinued. Extensive tests at SureFire show that the P60 & P61 will work instead. I do not know the runtimes.

BTW, standard night carry - E1 in trouser pocket. New M2 clipped to belt, PhotonII on keyring. M3T comes out when there's a good chance I'll need it. The M6 comes out for specific tasks, until I get a holster from BlackHawk, it's a backpack carry
frown.gif

Al
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size 15s
Are you absolutely SURE that you have enough flashlights
with you?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

(I only carry three with me at all times-but then I might add another one later)...
smile.gif

fellowflashoholic

Skyline

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The M6 comes out for specific tasks, until I get a holster from BlackHawk, it's a backpack carry<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. For this reason, I ordered the BlackHawk M6 pouch as part of my M2 pre-order from ArizonaGunRunners. Note that their web page doesn't show the M6 pouch. I emailed them and Gary replied:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Blackhawk I need the number. We have not updated the site for 2001 but I can order all items.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully I'll get the pouch and I'll be able to carry my M6 ALL THE TIME.
grin.gif

/mel

Bucky

Enlightened
Until recently, my M2 was my favorite light and I would say the best light. The P61 really helps out the non-E2 lights, but I now feel that the E2 is the best light. If I had to give them all up and take one, the M2 would go second last, but the E2 would have to be pried out of my hand
smile.gif

Bucky