Newbie question: Night Frisbee Golf Light ...

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by NightGolfer:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

After reading a ton of posts and looking at the various models, I've narrowed it down a bit.

e2e--small size, new LED adapter if I want one, not too expensive...but stuck at 60lm. Hmmm.

...snip...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Golfer,
I wouldn't worry about the 60lm - you have NO idea how much brighter the E2 is compared to a Minimag, or even your 3c mag! Not even the same class - it's more like a 5c Mag!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ahoy.

This is another of those pesky "what's the best light for..." questions. Here are the details:

I play frisbee golf *at night* on a local college campus twice a week. As you might imagine, the frisbees often end up in bushes, in trees, and lots of difficult-to-find places. Sometimes finding them involves clumping through dense brush/plantings. The toughest finds are when the disc is stuck in a thick oak. A powerful light is a must to avoid losing lots of disks.
The minimags we all started with just don't cut it. Waaaaay too little output. I've taken to carrying a 3-cell maglite--but that's a heavy, royal pain to lug around.
So here's what I need:

--Super bright output. 100+ lumens would be great, but could live with 65 I guess....
--small weight and size...anything will help after this monster mag tho.
--decent battery life--20min to 2 hours is scary...if there an alternative that won't greatly diminish the output?
--cost. Not really a factor. I can pay whatever it takes as I use this light all the time...and I want the best.

So there you have it. I don't really know much about the stuff available--everyone seems to rave about the Surefires--which model would work best for my needs?

Thanks,

--NightGolfer--

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Princeton Tec Surge:

prisurgeg.jpg

or the Underwater Kinetics SL6:

undsl6y.jpg

They're both brighter than a 3D Mag and have good battery life.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome, I would have to say an surefire C3+ optional beam shaper and lots of 123s, also a ARCAAA or another kind of task light. You will find plenty of good advice here. Good luck

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you frisbee golfers are a pretty active group, so I would think that Size and weight is important to you.

The above two lights are great, I own two of the Surge's. Great light, but it takes 8 AA batteries.

Also, that SL6, with it's very narrow, bright beam might be exactly what you want. That pencil thin, narrow beam for spotting your frisbee's.

Also, I would have to say look at the SureFire M3 or M4, or maybe one of the rechargable SureFire's.

Go to www.brightguy.com and look up SureFire, or go to www.surfire.com . There are lots of options for lights, but I am thinking that you want lightweight, right?

These lights are designed for high output, and light weigh carry, but are expensive!

Now, are you using golf carts?

If you were using Golf Carts, it is a whole other story, get an Optronics 2 mil CP spotlight for like 50-60 bucks. Blows any other suggestion here away, but is heavy and has like a 30-40 minute run time. You can even buy extra batteries, and charge up several of them at a time.

http://www.cabelas.com/ has them.

SteveK

Newly Enlightened
NightGolfer... I'm with ya! I also am an avid chain hound here in Wisconsin. My SureFire E2e works perfectly for lighting up the InnovaGlow discs and finding the path at night. I've also considered permanently attaching small LED's to other non-glow-in-the-dark drivers (as I don't really like Innova discs). It's certainly a challenge sometimes to even find your driver in the daytime. I'd be interested in anything you might come up with for improvements on this. Feel free to email me at [email protected] . Good luck.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Check out this frisbee...it's worth it's weight in gold when we play at night!

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=12880933&parent_category_rn=11549407

Also, if you want to rig a homemade version, you can Duct Tape a Photon 3 in flashing mode to the bottom of any Wham-O and you're good to go. If you have a Glow-in-the-Dark Frisbee (genuine Wham-O, of course) the opaque plastic makes the whole disc light up when you do this...by far, the best of any of the frisbee options, because you can see it from the top and not just the bottom and side.

We played with one set up like that for a nuber of night games, and I actually like the weight/feel better, but we now use the OrbyDisc from REI (until Wham-O comes out with their own version) because it's so much more visible.

As for flashlights, I always have a Princeton Tec "Tec 40" loaded with lithium batteries (makes it lighter and brighter). The Surge and all those other lights are great and all, but too big and heavy for what you want. Have fun!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I often duck tape Photons to my Frisbees. The trouble is at night, it gets damp and the tape weakens. I always thought that real brand duck tape was meant to be fine in the damp but it doesn't stick to frisbees in my experience.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After reading a ton of posts and looking at the various models, I've narrowed it down a bit.

e2e--small size, new LED adapter if I want one, not too expensive...but stuck at 60lm. Hmmm.

C3--Still not too big or heavy and the output is double the e2e. But no recharging ability (without an adapter kit? Couldn't find one...) and the Turbo upgrade is pricey...

9AN415-BK--Killer light: still not too big or heavy at 12 oz (remember I'm used to lugging around a 2+ lb Maglite, is rechargeable, has 140 lm and 20 if needed...downside is it's expensive and I'm not sure it would be a carry it around everywhere pocket pal like the e2e.

So I guess I'll ask for help again. Remember this light will be used a lot looking for lost frisbees in near pitch black in bushes and trees--not just for a minute or two now and then. It needs high output occasionally--at least as much as my 3-cell Maglite and maybe a bit more. It will get a lot of use.

I like the size of the e2e and the upgrades available...but big boxes of expensive cells is a little scary... I guess I'd go for the e2e IF it had an upgrade kit to make it 100+ lm. Hmmm.

I can't decide! Help, I'm going nuts!

Golfer

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a 8nx from Surefire. 110lm and rechargeable. If you carry an extra battery you'll have at least 1 1/2 hr of good light. You can probably even find a ripoffs holster to carry the light and a spare battery. You can carry an E2e as a backup if you drain both the 8nx's batts.

And if cost is really not a factor how about this.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can use an E2E if you add reflective around the perimeter and bottom, it should be able to be seen.