Quark lego

pipspeak

Enlightened
I presume from the 47s announcement of various lego pieces that the "tactical" feature of the lights is in the head, not the tail (hence the availability of a tailstanding forward clicky tailcap). Is this true for all the heads or just the turbo?

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quark lego turbo-head

Now that 47s is offering the turbo head as a lego piece for regular quarks, I'm curious what difference it will make. The blurb still talks of this 5% increase in throw, which I thought was for the XP-G emitter. Is there really only going to be a 5% increase in throw if you stick this on a regular Quark with an XP-E emitter?
I believe that "5% more throw" means "5% more lux in the hot spot at xx distance." There is more light everywhere in the beam, because the XP-G is straight-up brighter for the same power. But a truly useful light source has a small size and high surface brightness. I think that the XP-E in a turbo head would not have the reflector sized right for it?

pipspeak

Enlightened
sorry, I realized I was confusing the fact that the turbo head includes the emitter and is not simply a new reflector assembly for existing lights (hence your reply quotes my original message that's no longer there). We must have posted the same time :grin2:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry, I realized I was confusing the fact that the turbo head includes the emitter and is not simply a new reflector assembly for existing lights (hence your reply quotes my original message that's no longer there). We must have posted the same time :grin2:
You're exactly correct - all the brains are in the head. Swapping the tailcap will give you forward (Tactical) or reverse (Normal) clickie. Changing the body will give you different batteries, as long as you stay in the voltage range. If you go out of the voltage range, I suspect that direct-driving 2CR123 into the LED and buck/boost will *poof* something.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Can I buy a 2 X CR123 Titanium XP-G head and attach it to a Quark 18650 body and an ordinary Quark tail cap?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just lego'ed or "tuxedo'ed" my quark AA*2 Ti and Quark 1xAA light. BTW how do you post a "2" in superscript on this forum I have seen it done and the < sub> HTML tags do not work in a YABB type forum. I also don't see a way to ALT + (code) for superscript. How is this possible here?

2dmhztf.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/246944

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I buy a 2 X CR123 Titanium XP-G head and attach it to a Quark 18650 body and an ordinary Quark tail cap?

I believe the voltages will give you less battery life than you expect.
2xCR123 head: 3-9v
So as long as your 18650 stays above 3v you'll be happy. I have no experience with them so I don't know how long you'll stay in regulation, but it will certainly drop out of regulation before the protection on the battery cuts in - A feature to some, a fatal flaw to others.

Get someone to confirm this, but the .9-4.2v head may be better for the 18650 voltage range. You'll trip the protection without warning, but voltage rebound and lower modes will cut you a little bit of slack.

kageneko

Newly Enlightened
I believe the voltages will give you less battery life than you expect.
2xCR123 head: 3-9v
So as long as your 18650 stays above 3v you'll be happy. I have no experience with them so I don't know how long you'll stay in regulation, but it will certainly drop out of regulation before the protection on the battery cuts in - A feature to some, a fatal flaw to others.

Get someone to confirm this, but the .9-4.2v head may be better for the 18650 voltage range. You'll trip the protection without warning, but voltage rebound and lower modes will cut you a little bit of slack.

this makes a lot of sense, as most 18650s fall out of the 3V range as they expend power. In fact, this is what I'm doing:

1 Quark 123 no clip warm tint, plus 18650 body, plus Turbo flat tailcap = forward clicky 18650 with good regulation/runtime/output, and spare cr123 body for when I want a small light. I'm also getting the 2xAA with turbo flat tailcap for extra carry (I'm a forward clicky fan), but i'll also have the standard reverse clicky for whatever... hell, if i buy a 2xAA turbo head, i've got 3 flashlights that I can lego to my heart's content!

... well, damn.. there goes another $250 in flashlights.... :paypal:

Last edited:

pchambers

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up one of the last warm tint 123's and I'm so happy with it. It's got me wanting to expand my quark options but I'm still a bit dumb with all the battery choices.

Which would be better here for a rechargeable setup?

123 warm tint tactical head with 18650 body, tact cap

or

123 warm tint tactical head with 123^2 body using a R17670, tact cap

I assume the aw batteries and chargers are the way to go? (I've been using a generic RCR123 and charger from Hong Kong in the Quark 123 and it works great, just not for a long time)

I live where it's cold so it's nice to be able to swap in the primaries when outside in the winter.

Are turbo model parts interchangeable with the originals? Are there any differences in the Ti models that affect their interchangeability?

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully others will benefit from the answers as well.

Happy holidays everyone.:D

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which would be better here for a rechargeable setup?

123 warm tint tactical head with 18650 body, tact cap

or

123 warm tint tactical head with 123^2 body using a R17670, tact cap

I assume the aw batteries and chargers are the way to go? (I've been using a generic RCR123 and charger from Hong Kong in the Quark 123 and it works great, just not for a long time)

18650 will give longer runtime (2200-2600 mAh) vs 17670 (1600 mAh), but the Quark 18650 body is considerably longer than the 123^2 body. The 18650 body is only 1/4" shorter than the AA^2 body. So, pick between long runtime or compact body, whichever is your preference.

Yes, AW Li-Ions are the way to go. The Ultrafire charger AW sells is good, but the Pila is better.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If I lego a quark 123 head with a quark 123 x 2 body and a 17670 battery will the clip on the 123 head allow deeper pocket carry than the normal 123 x 2 setup?