A case where I turned my light OFF instead of on

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was a bit of a switch from the usual stories where somebody fires up their flashlight when needed.

I often go out for a run shortly after dark. A couple of days ago I headed out at dusk, after sundown but not completely dark yet. I was carrying my TK11 R2 edition (I typically use either it or my TK20 for running after dark).

I had switched the TK11 on low mode because it wasn't pitch dark yet and I was still on a decent stretch of neighborhood road where I didn't need the extra lighting. I heard loud exhaust rumbling behind me, and turned and saw an '98-'02 style TransAm cruising slowly past me. The car went down the street about a block, then turned around in a driveway, and came back my direction, again passing by slowly. At this point I'm starting to get a bit nervous but I figured they just made a wrong turn.

A minute later, I hear the car turn around AGAIN behind me, and now I'm glancing back over my shoulder as it approaches and passes again, this time in the middle of the street so that the car isn't far away from where I'm running on the left of the road. The car has tinted windows and I can't see the occupants or what they're doing.

The car continues down the street and goes out of sight around a bend. At this point I clicked my light OFF because I figure now it's just drawing attention if anything, and making me a target. I also decided that if I heard the car turn around and come my way again, I was going to duck out of sight behind somebody's fence or in an open garage or something, just in case. I had no idea what the driver was doing but the alarm bells were going off big time and I was spooked. I suddenly felt very vulnerable out there alone in the dark, not even a cell phone to call the cops, and nothing in my hand but a light.

I finished the rest of the run with the light turned off, because if that car returned, I didn't want him to spot me first before I had the chance to duck for cover. I didn't actually NEED the light, really. There was about a 1/2 moon, and enough occasional streetlights, and I was familiar enough with the road surfaces to not have any trouble.

I figure that the car could've had a couple of teenagers board and up to no good, looking to start something (your basic "Clockwork Orange" style punks)

Or... The driver was looking for an address and couldn't find the right house, hence the slow driving and back-and-forth passes.

I figure the second scenario is the MOST likely, but man the Spidey Sense was definitely tingling there!

Ajay

Enlightened
Yep you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry.
Nice example of NOT using your light:D

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar thing happen in Charlotte. I and two others were walking around 2:30, and a car waited at a stop sign facing us for a few dozen seconds - We went on our way up the driveway, where he pulled in, stopped at the gate, got out of his car and looked for us. We had gotten out of sight, because he looked pretty shady there.

On the way back to the car (3 am), he drove past again - but swerved to the side of the road, stopping right beside us. We recognize the car and make tracks over the train...tracks towards our car to move away from him. At the same time he got out and went for "something" in his trunk. And then we're around the corner of a building and loading into our car. We again get scarce, with no other ill luck.

Recently, low-income workers in Charlotte have been held up at shotgun-point as they walk home along the train tracks. Cruising around with a shotgun -in- the car is a bad idea as the car body can be searched, but in the trunk... let's just say I'm glad I didn't have to jump into briars or a ditch to get Away from there.

Maybe he was in a hurry to change a tire right there, eh? Glad you were safe, be sure to keep that habit up ;)

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
when i run ( barely ) i carry a light in hand, but with it off..and only light up when i cross intersections and i stay on the side walks...soo yea..

but good thinking both of ya'll..stay safe!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good story and I'm glad nothing came of it. Nowadays you really have to be more careful and keep your spidey senses on alert.
Back in the day if you were in a movie theatre and some kids behind you were noisey you could tell them to shut up but today I hesitate to do that for fear of a group waiting for me to leave and following me.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Good story and I'm glad nothing came of it. Nowadays you really have to be more careful and keep your spidey senses on alert.
Back in the day if you were in a movie theatre and some kids behind you were noisey you could tell them to shut up but today I hesitate to do that for fear of a group waiting for me to leave and following me.

i havent been on this earth that long, but i believe that the world is getting crazier

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havent been on this earth that long, but i believe that the world is getting crazier

Things used to be pretty bad around here. Back when my dad was a reserve they had a pretty big operation to clean things up. Hit people hard and it worked. Things have been pretty good now. Low crime.

Lately it's started to rise. With the economy in the crapper and the newspaper talking about how the PD is so short handed (I would love to beat them black and blue. F the media) criminals are starting to get cocky and abundant.

You are right though. Looking around, people are getting dumber and things are getting worse.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasn't that the whole purpose of No Country For Old Men. the world isn't getting crazier. it has always been. just seems that way.

in these situations, it's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

Larry237

Newly Enlightened
Now you know why cops want lights that not only turn on quickly and reliably, but also are good in turning off. Mix in a potential shooting situation and this becomes a critical factor. As a retired cop, I know that sometimes you want to be the center and controller of light and sometimes dark is good. Some training for critical situations at night teaches you to find the darkest spot and work from there.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
wasn't that the whole purpose of No Country For Old Men. the world isn't getting crazier. it has always been. just seems that way.
:oops: I missed the point of that movie then.
I though it was about: Clint Eastwood is a bad-*** no matter how old he is. :laughing: Need to re-watch that one.

vitekboi

Newly Enlightened
Clint Eastwood wasn't in that movie. I think you're talking about Gran Torino

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:crackup:

I'm friggin' stupid! Sorry. Embarassing

f22shift, you are right-on. That's close to what I got from it too, well, now that I remember the right name for that one. :eek: :laughing:
As a small aside, why was Woody in that movie? The character was odd and the part was small so him playing it was more of a distraction then anything. IMO anyway.

Last edited:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened

in these situations, it's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

i think i need to see that movie...

Latest posts