Finally got me a Surefire U2

prime77

Enlightened
I finally got me a U2. Solid light. I really like the selector ring. The low is a really nice low as well. I got a good tint and it has a nice beam leaning more towards throw. All together I really like it.
100B5491.jpg

100B5501.jpg

100B5531.jpg

100_5610.jpg

100_5512.jpg

100B5640.jpg

Front porch beamshot.
100_5565.jpg

steveG

Enlightened
Awesome lights for sure. Everyone on this board should have one at least once. Especially now that you can pick them up so cheap used and like-new.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I bought mine in January 2006.

I recently put it on the shelf queen collection, even though it is still in flawless shape and still has the stock clickie.

I replaced it with a Olight M30, whcih absolutely puts the U2 to shame on output. I don't care what is said about Surefire's liberal interpretation of lumens. When the U2 and the M30 are compared side-to-side, the M30 will blow the U2 away. You will not even be able to tell the U2 is on.

I am keeping it, don't get me wrong. But is is definitely not edc worthy anymore.

Superdave

Enlightened
I don't get how you guys can keep the white dot in such good shape, mine lasted a week before i peeled it off.. haha

OP, welcome to the club! I use mine nightly. :thumbsup:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought mine in January 2006.

I recently put it on the shelf queen collection, even though it is still in flawless shape and still has the stock clickie.

I replaced it with a Olight M30, whcih absolutely puts the U2 to shame on output. I don't care what is said about Surefire's liberal interpretation of lumens. When the U2 and the M30 are compared side-to-side, the M30 will blow the U2 away. You will not even be able to tell the U2 is on.

I am keeping it, don't get me wrong. But is is definitely not edc worthy anymore.

Comparing an LED from pre 2006 to a MCE is a little unfair don't you think?

:laughing:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned 2 of them myself I liked them alot, can't remember the reason I got rid of them, probably for the funds.

steveG

Enlightened
Comparing an LED from pre 2006 to a MCE is a little unfair don't you think?

:laughing:

Agreed! I don't know what was available when this light was new, but it's not what I would call EDC friendly by today's standards. Still, I carry it every now and then just because it's such a useful light and, I think, super practical in terms of output and run time. What's funny is that it's kind of disappointing when I do a side-by-side comparison with my E2DL (Which I think we all agree is a champ). But when I use the U2A alone I think, "damn this light rocks!"

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The circuit of the newer Seoul P4 U2's could stand modding. High could be about 200 lumens, then 100, 50, 25, 12, and 6. It would be very useful then. The Lux V U2 is about 120 lumens high, then 85, 42, 20, 10 and 5, with runtimes of about 1 hour (maybe a little less), 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, 16 hours, and 32 hours. And runs on an 18650.

Bill

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Surefire just sent me a new clicky for my U2. The last one would click and click but wouldn't go off! Calling them was easy and I needed a few other little things anyway. I got 2 different clips, 1 lanyard ring, and 2 tailcaps replaced for free. Called Friday and got them here today! :twothumbs

The light will always be a good one as long as that ring UI works. Once the LEd is really dated an emitter change will get it up and going once more.

batmanacw

Enlightened
I am not a surefire guy, but I have one of these lights and really like it.

I wanted to buy a Titan, but will not until they put a real LED in it with a better tint than blueberry.

o0o

Enlightened
I bought mine when they first came out.

2 had problems (one with the switch, the second with the emitter window).

The third was perfect.

All are working fine now, and are great lights.

The only reservation I have is the output. Even the new ones are under whelming. They really need to come up with a new LED model rated for about 300 lumens on high.

steveG

Enlightened
The circuit of the newer Seoul P4 U2's could stand modding. High could be about 200 lumens, then 100, 50, 25, 12, and 6. It would be very useful then. The Lux V U2 is about 120 lumens high, then 85, 42, 20, 10 and 5, with runtimes of about 1 hour (maybe a little less), 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, 16 hours, and 32 hours. And runs on an 18650.

Bill

We need someone that can program custom brightness on all levels of the U2. I would love for my U2 to be a screamer on the high end with a very dim low level setting. Heck, if I could just have a higher high, the light would be just about everything I could want!

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the U2 is a good-looking, innovative, and solidly built light, I find the low too bright, especially after the many years of using an HDS that gets down to .3 lumens. The low is rated to be 2 lumens, the max 100 lumens - so on paper, it seems a large enough difference. Which it is; but then to have four more intermediate levels, is a bit superfluous, given the eye's logarithmic response to lumen change. If it had been a 3 level light, it would make more sense - or if the low was much lower, and the rest of the levels spread out more.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Actually, speaking as a U2 fan, I use all of the outputs, over time. It would be the last light to go, in my collection. Again, mine is the Lux V model.

Bill

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill, that's cool to hear. Is it due to runtime, or to tune the output to what's required by the environment? Do you ever find yourself wishing it had a lower low?

One other thing that would make the U2 perfect, is tactile-indexing. Detents that you could feel, like on the Kroma. Because then you could set the output level to what you wanted, with the light off, before ever needing to turn the light on.