Terralux TLE-5EX Dead

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I while back I modded my AA MiniMag with a Terralux TLE-5EX and tailcap switch. I didn't use the light very often and soon moved on to tacticals such as my Olight T-20's. I gave the MiniMag to my elderly Mom as an around the house flashlight. She called that the light was not working and I brought over some fresh batteries, not thinking there could be some other problem. Sure enough it was the TLE, that was defective. I called the folks at Terralux and the gentleman I spoke to was very helpful. He pointed out that there was agood chance the reflector had cut through one or more of the LED lead, and he was right. He e-mailed a form for me to attempt securing a replacement. I've got my fingers crossed that they stand behind their product and send me a new unit. I know that I'll have to somehow prevent the bulb housing from moving and cauing the same problem down the road. Just a word of caution to others using a similar setup, do not allow the focus feature of your MiniMag to move in and out or it may break the LED leads.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I while back I modded my AA MiniMag with a Terralux TLE-5EX and tailcap switch. I didn't use the light very often and soon moved on to tacticals such as my Olight T-20's. I gave the MiniMag to my elderly Mom as an around the house flashlight. She called that the light was not working and I brought over some fresh batteries, not thinking there could be some other problem. Sure enough it was the TLE, that was defective. I called the folks at Terralux and the gentleman I spoke to was very helpful. He pointed out that there was agood chance the reflector had cut through one or more of the LED lead, and he was right. He e-mailed a form for me to attempt securing a replacement. I've got my fingers crossed that they stand behind their product and send me a new unit. I know that I'll have to somehow prevent the bulb housing from moving and cauing the same problem down the road. Just a word of caution to others using a similar setup, do not allow the focus feature of your MiniMag to move in and out or it may break the LED leads.

Thread tape works well to keep the head snug but won't make it impossible to move.The problem with Mini-Mags is that most people know that turning the light on and off is done by twisting the head and do it instictively even though there is a switch installed.I have a light on the fridge with a Nite-Ize switch and invariably my family members always twist the head for on/off instead of using the switch!:eek:
As far as TerraLUX standing behind their drop-ins I have had good results in the past when my TLE-6EX was defective.If you don't need throw the TLE-5EX makes a nice flood light when used with the straight wall reflector from the 3-LED Nite-Ize drop-in.You can use it without any reflector at all if you for a similar result.

Latest posts