• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS:Triple MC-E 4D Mag - Pewter / Shark Buck 3A (Price Drop)

wildstar87

Enlightened
I'm looking to sell this light to start another build, otherwise I'd keep it. Since it uses the Boom-S reflectors, it's definitely more of a flood light than throw, but VERY bright light EVERYWHERE. Basically selling it for what it cost me to build, complete turnkey build ready to use. First "I'll take it" gets it. $280 shipped CONUS, but would be willing to ship INTL (would have to discuss..), Paypal to [email protected], please PM me for details.

Mag 4D Pewter host
Download Multisink
3 - Cree MC-E WD M-Bin Leds - Wired 3S/4P
3 - Ledil Boom-S Reflectors
Thick UCL Lens
Shark Buck 3A w/Remora (L/M/H/Strobe) - AA Epoxied to Shark Sink
mdocdo 12AA/4D Battery Adapter w/charging leads
12 - Titanium 2700 Ni-MH batteries
Teflon jacketed silver coated OFC copper wire used in build

Here are pics of this build:

Light1.jpg

Light8.jpg

Light7.jpg

Light3-1.jpg

Light4.jpg

Light6.jpg

Light2.jpg

Light5.jpg

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
Re: FS:Triple MC-E 4D Mag - Pewter / Shark Buck 3A

how is it wired? are the led's wired parallel and they split the 3amps all together, making each mce driven by 1 amp? why did you choose 12aa's over 4d batts?
jason

Last edited:

wildstar87

Enlightened

They are wired 3S-4P, so each MC-E is connected in series to the next one, but the dies are all wired parallel. Think of it like the MC-Es are like P7s (which are permanently wired 4P). 4Ds wouldn't work for the forward voltage setup (at 4.8v), which that each MC-E would have a forward voltage of about 3.5-3.7, and 3 run in series would be 10.5-11.1v. There isn't anyone who makes a BOOST driver that can drive at 2.8-3A that I know of right now. You could run all of the dies in series (12s), then you would need only a 700ma driver, but none of them support that high a forward voltage. Wired like this, each MC-E sees 2.8-3A, additionally probably the easiest of all the configurations to wire. 12P or 12S would be a nightmare to wire.

Since I had to use a Shark Buck 3A to drive, I needed voltage above 11.1v, and 12AA would meet the bill in a 4D being 14.4v nominal, around 16.8v fully charged. I suppose I could have used Li-Ion, but I already had the gear for this, and I like having the safer chemistry, and easy adaptability.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic

Wildstar...since the mods seem to be asleep, I'll speak up.

You've got this thread posted in both CPF and CPFMP. That is against forum rules.

wildstar87

Enlightened

Ah I didn't know that.. I tried deleting the one in CPF-MP but I guess the mods have to do that. I did post in the ad to please delete.. I'll keep this one here.

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened

Wildstar87,

Nice clean build! I've got a similar set up (see my sig line) in a 2D host with a taskled hipflex. 3 x MCE puts out massive amount of light. My only wish is if I could find a reflector/optic that would produce better through, then I would really love it. Cheers to running the setup with 12AA's.

Good luck with your sale.