Strange bug

addictedmatt

Enlightened
Anybody know what this is? It was about three inches long. Sorry for the crappy cell picture. My dad took it at work, the bug was on his shop floor.

bughy.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
It reminds me of Nepa cinerea, its usually found in places where stagnant freshwater exists, not sure how it got in the shop. its probably just as confused as you are.

3 inches long would put in close to Lethocerus americanus

I think its a cute bug to have around, too bad its called the toe-biter :whistle:
interesting to note Nitroz, is that these insects are quadropods which no 'beetle" could ever suffce

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It reminds me of Nepa cinerea, its usually found in places where stagnant freshwater exists, not sure how it got in the shop. its probably just as confused as you are.

3 inches long would put in close to Lethocerus americanus
[/URL]
I think its a cute bug to have around, too bad its called the toe-biter :whistle:
interesting to note Nitroz, is that these insects are quadropods which no 'beetle" could ever suffce

Cool! I can see why it would be called a toe-biter. :) Learn something everyday.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i have no idea what the actual name is, but its definitely one of those biting water bugs...trust me i have seen many and they are unpleasant to say the least.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Ya water bug..lives in water and bites toes apparently. Never been bitten but with pinchers like that i'm sure it feels nice! Don't think they're venemous or anything. What did you name him?

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Thats a crazy looking bug. I'm going to have my wife, who works for an entomology lab ask her boss an entomologist tommorow. Illum do you work with bugs or are you an entomologist?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a few of them together and you could film a remake of Damnation Alley

I remember that movie! George Peppard leads the nuclear holocast survivors to safety! That is one movie that should be remade.

Back on topic. Those beetles eat small fish! They use bubbles as scuba gear. Never swim naked when they are present if you know what I mean!

Illum

Flashaholic
Thats a crazy looking bug. I'm going to have my wife, who works for an entomology lab ask her boss an entomologist tommorow. Illum do you work with bugs or are you an entomologist?

My father is a naturalist [bug/tree loving kinda guy] [not a naturist, he doesn't walk around in the nude:ohgeez:] so I have alot of books in insects I have access to. I immediately recognized it as the water scorpion, but that may have been a local name and not internationally known, so I looked it up and posted the scientific name instead:thumbsup:

I'm a college student majoring in operations research, I have nothing I can relate to on my academics towards entomology, zoology, or any mode of arthropodology for that matter. And no, arthropodology is not anthropology, do not confuse the two:shrug:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited: