Im assuming everyone we know is getting a 3 mode AAA for xmas?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
no way a preon. too much :p

itp also has their new a2 which is the AA version of their popular aaa. for 25 beans.

probably another good one as a gift because everyone has aa's lying around.

bansuri

Enlightened
Photon Freedom Micros for my family from CFR, it's the only light I know they'll have when they need it. Any "regular" flashlight would be left in a drawer.
If they can keep it on their keychain long enough to encounter a situation where they need it, then they will appreciate it. That is the moment to swoop in and indoctrinate them .
"Boy that little light sure came in handy!"
"Indeed! You can see how beneficial it is to have a light on you all the time. Oh yeah, that reminds me, take a look at this...."

sabre7

Enlightened
no way a preon. too much :p

itp also has their new a2 which is the AA version of their popular aaa. for 25 beans.

probably another good one as a gift because everyone has aa's lying around.

Anybody know if these will still be Med-Lo-High like the AAA version?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i actually just gave a lady friend of mine this light and she really likes it, says that it looks like a really expensive lipstick.

3 modes, high, low, strobe (wth??) with a protruding GITD reverse clicky. Its very decently bright on a primary 1xAAA and loads brighter running on a 10440.

For $13.80, it's a steal, as usual, need to dismantle the light and lube everything but once done, the threads are very smooth.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the iTP AAA upgraded version a couple of weeks ago to play with and decided that while I don't actually care for it (don't like AAA lights, don't like twisties, don't like M-L-H mode order, prefer lights that tailstand, don't like cool tint emitters), it's the perfect keychain/emergency light for someone who isn't into flashlights.

Consider:
1. It's small enough that there's a chance that the non-flashaholic might actually have it with them when they need it.
2. It uses a dirt cheap, commonly available battery which means that if they use it up, they might actually bother to replace it.
3. A non-flashaholic that only uses the light a couple of times a year is unlikely to even remember how to change modes (or that the light even has multiple modes), so the default mode needs to be bright enough to be generally useful but not drain the battery too fast. Medium does this.
4. The lack of knurling makes it less likely to damage the contents of a purse/pocket/keychain which means it's more likely they'll actually carry it with them (what was maratac thinking?)
5. Not even a flashaholic cares what tint their light is in an emergency. They're just grateful to have the light.

I'm about to order 10 or so for gifts. I'll drop an L92 in each of them and hope for the best. With any luck, if someone ever needs a light, they'll have it on them and the battery will still be good.

--flatline

LightOnAHill

Newly Enlightened
I'm expecting a blue preon in my stocking, but she doesn't know that I know. :devil:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was buying regular people gift lights, I would get the single mode ITP light. It's probably the smallest aaa light on the market today, which means it will fit on the keychain even better. The single mode is super simple to use and provides awesome brightness right away. I bet most regular people would stop at first mode on multi-mode lights if they are not told how to use the lights.

sabre7

Enlightened
If I was buying regular people gift lights, I would get the single mode ITP light. It's probably the smallest aaa light on the market today, which means it will fit on the keychain even better. The single mode is super simple to use and provides awesome brightness right away. I bet most regular people would stop at first mode on multi-mode lights if they are not told how to use the lights.

In an era of electronic controls containing menus and sub-menus on everything from phones to home appliances, I would imagine anyone - especially regular people, would still be able to figure out a 3 mode twisty flashlight, even if they can't set the clock on their now ancient VCRs!!

Last edited: