Need Advice for Jetbeams!

defconxzero

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Jetbeam Jet-III M and its a nice flashlight. However i discovered the Jet-i Pro v3 is smaller and lighter while the max output is 240 lumens while the jet3m is only 225. I need a lighter flashlight so this one seems to be exactly what im looking for since i want to be able to use one AA battery. does anyone have both? will i be disappointed going from the jet3m to the smaller light? or is the jet i pro actually brighter? any thoughts? thanks

Bass

Enlightened
The Jet III M comes in Q5 (225 lumens) and R2 (240 Lumens). The Army Green is the newer R2.

I have both the Jet-III M (R2) and the Jet-I Pro V3 and the Jet-III is the nicer light IMO. Different form factor and battery / run time but you will probably find the Jet-I Pro V3 a bit of a step down if you are used the M.

The Jet-I Pro V3 only achieves 240 Lumens on a rechargable Lithium 14500. On a standard AA, it maxes out at 145 Lumens. I find the Jet-III M brighter in real world use and with a smooth reflector, it throws a lot further.

The V3 is lighter and smaller, if this is what you are after but it's not brighter IMO.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have a Jetbeam Jet-III M and its a nice flashlight. However i discovered the Jet-i Pro v3 is smaller and lighter while the max output is 240 lumens while the jet3m is only 225. I need a lighter flashlight so this one seems to be exactly what im looking for since i want to be able to use one AA battery. does anyone have both? will i be disappointed going from the jet3m to the smaller light? or is the jet i pro actually brighter? any thoughts? thanks

Hi there and :welcome:

I have owned and still do, a few Jetbeams. I own the Jet I Pro v2.0 and the Jet III Pro ST so not exactly the same lights that you own but i think they're close enough.

You won't be disappointed with either of them, both of my Jetbeams are manufacturer rated at 225 lumens and the 15 lumen difference is not going to be noticeable to the eye IMHO.

However, the previous posts were right, you will only hit 240 lumens on your Jet I if you use a 14500 cell, a normal AA will not give you the juice to hit that.

More importantly, the Jet I is small enough to be unobtrusively pocket carried and has 3 individually programmable modes instead of the Jet III M's 2 modes (max and 1 programmable), so it gives you a lot of flexibility. It should be more than enough for everyday use and i'm sure the Jet III M will be with you as well (remember the CPF saying : "One is none, and two is one")

defconxzero

Newly Enlightened
thank you guys for helping me... i dont have money to drop on flashlights left and right though.. so i will be selling the Jet-III M to purchase the Jet-I Pro V3. Is this a bad move, should i just keep the M? Also what about the lithium AAs? wont they be better then the standard AAs? just as good as the 14000 cell? also i dont see a big difference between the upcoming rrt-0 and the jet-I pro v3....

Bass

Enlightened
I can't speak for you but if it was me, I would keep the M. The only benefits of the Jet-I Pro V3, versus the M are the smaller size, the three programmable modes and the ability to use common AA's if required.

You won't get 240 lumens with an Alkaline or lithium AA, it must be a rechargeable Lithium ion 14500.

The new RRT-0 looks like a great light, especially for EDC. From what details I have seen, it runs on CR123 but has an optional extender to take AA's as well; so plenty of options for primaries and rechargeables. It has the rotational ring from the other Raptors but adds a programmable mode, so again; plenty of options for settings.

Good luck, with whatever you decide.

pobox1475

Enlightened

defconxzero

Newly Enlightened
Yea iam just looking for an edc... I use the m alot and I often put it in my mouth to use both hands and it's too heavy for that and too big to fit comfortably in my pocket that's why I want the I pro v3. As long as the smaller one won't be nptocably dimmer...that's what iwant. Also. OP or SMO?

pobox1475

Enlightened
If you are utilizing it for close up work then it's size and weight will be better than M. It however is designed more for distance (throw) illumination and will not have a lot of spill (beam thrown more to sides) as let's say a Quark. Go with the OP IMO. smooths the beam out by reducing the Cree rings and is better for near illumination.

Bass

Enlightened
Yea iam just looking for an edc... I use the m alot and I often put it in my mouth to use both hands and it's too heavy for that and too big to fit comfortably in my pocket that's why I want the I pro v3. As long as the smaller one won't be nptocably dimmer...that's what iwant. Also. OP or SMO?

M in the teeth might require a visit to the dentist before long! The Jet-I is much better suited for 'oral' lighting :laughing:

I have OP in the Jet-I and Smooth in the M. Suits my needs.

gilly

Enlightened
Jet I Pro v3.0 is a great little light. You'll be losing the forward clickie from the Jet III - M and a lot of runtime. If you don't have any you'll want to buy a couple/few 14500 lithium ion cells and a charger.

Good luck

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
If you often put the light in mouth to use both hand, did you use the highest brightness? I think 225 lumens would be too much for nearby usage.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I use the m alot and I often put it in my mouth to use both hands and it's too heavy for that and too big to fit comfortably in my pocket that's why I want the I pro v3.

Have you considered a headlamp? I don't really like to wear them while walking around, but I use one when I'm working on something inside my observatory at night. They really are a lot more useful than a flashlight when you need both hands for a task.

I'd also like to echo what the others are saying - if you really are in a situation where you use the light a LOT, you should seriously consider keeping the other light as a backup.

Also, depending on what you are doing, you may find that smaller size + AA primary + 145 lumens is a much better tradeoff. You will definitely notice the difference between 145 & 240 lumens, but you know what? 145 lumens is still quite a lot of light in many situations.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you find you often have a light between your teeth - you need to change how you use a light. seriously, it's a route to illness, un-hygienic, and un-professional. By all means I appreciate the honesty but I hope you also appreciate my honesty suggesting you allow some suggestions to modify your most common flash-light use.
Consider, for example, a Zebralight H501. You can clip it on, or stand it up, or lie it down. Uber handy 'task-light'.
there's a world of difference between 1.5v batteries and 3.7v batteries. An energizer 'lithium' er, well when you read lithium here the l91 is no where close to what most people are talking about.
14500, a rechargable lithium -cobalt cell, is from the sounds of it something you've never seen.
Read batteryuniversity.com before getting these, imho.
The human eye can only perceive logarithmic light differences. So saying 225lumen or 240 lumen no-one could tell the difference and they're both only calculated numbers anyway.
An alkaline battery (a 1.5v cell) only has so much capacity. They struggle with high-power emitters. If you want something bright, you need more power. multiple cells, or more potent chemistry.
To answer your question - the lights with AA's are both the same as far as you'll see. Get whatever fits you best.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah, didnt realise that you intended to sell your Jet III M, don't do it! Keep the Jet III M and get another light, if cost is a concern, you can always look at budget options.

Akoray K106 (got mine from KD) seems viable, it may not be as bright as the Jet III M but if you're using it for closer work it's 3 programmable modes should suit your needs. There are quite a few threads discussing this light, have a read through those.

Another light that you can look at would be the Romisen RC G2s from , use the "CPFuser" discount code. Shipping is very fast too.

I recently ordered [url=http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24220]this light
and it is extremely bright on a 14500 and decently bright using a 1.2v NiMH, for $9.99 its a bargain.

Again, don't sell the Jet III M :D