JETBeam Jet-I Pro V3 heatsinking problem

Mihakinen

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I got this light about a week ago and I have to say I like it a LOT! The size is perfect, it's bright, very high quality build and a good price too.

I noticed recently that the tint of the light has changed. I compared it when I first got it with my Fenix P2D which has a nice warm-white tint and the JETBeam's tint looked a little cooler, on the blue side. I turned it on tonight and something just didn't feel right to my eyes. I took the P2D out again to compare them and to my horror the JETBeam's tint now looks purple!

I have run it on 100% a couple of times for up to 10 minutes and holding it firmly. It does get warm but nothing alarming. So I decided to take off the retaining ring and have a look inside. The LED is surrounded by a plastic ring which is greenish in colour. I noticed that the LED can freely move around along with the ring! I thought that this thing would be glued to the heatsink with some sort of thermal paste but it is not! Also, if I shake the head with the reflector taken off (so there is no pressure to hold it down in its spot) then I can hear it rattle. There doesn't seem any way of getting to the heatsink so I haven't tried anything. But to make things worse, as I was moving the LED around, its dome popped off from one side. It looks like there is gel around the die and the dome just sits on top, certainly looked weird to me.

Any ideas/suggestions on this? I'd be happy to do a DIY job of my own and maybe even get an XP-E in there, but I can't figure out how to take the head apart.

Will JETBeam cover this under its warranty?

Thanks everyone!

Mihakinen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. That's unfeasible I'm afraid since I bought it on eBay and it was shipped from Hong Kong. I'd be happy if I could get a replacement head even if I have to pay for it.

henry1960

Enlightened
I really hope you can get a replacement for this light.

Next time try to buy from a well knowed dealer. :rolleyes:

Good Luck!!!

mfm

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. That's unfeasible I'm afraid since I bought it on eBay and it was shipped from Hong Kong. I'd be happy if I could get a replacement head even if I have to pay for it.

You can still ask them what to do? hkequipment on ebay?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
if its who mfm said, ive used them and they seem reasonable, id give em a call or email - prob send it back and get a replacement.

Mihakinen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your replies.

It wasn't "hkequipment", it was "hkelvisfever". I'd like to send it back for another one, although apart from the tint, knocking off the dome was pretty much my fault.

I am surprised these things are only held on by optical silicon, I thought they were made similar to 5mm LEDs, fully enclosed in plastic.

I asked JETBeam about the heatsink and they said that it is normal, apparently they only use thermal paste and I guess that's why the reflector is a very tight fit when you screw down the SS bezel. They don't sell the heads separately and I am waiting to get any info on disassembling the head to get to the led. Most likely I'll keep it and mod it, after all the RRT-0 is coming out and the V3 won't be seeing much action after I buy that one!

Sidenote: I don't know why but this one has an aluminium switch retaining ring and AFAIK everything else I've seen has the red plastic one. Also, the AW 14500 fits without having to slightly unscrew the head. There's also a "CE" marked next to the model description on the side. Anyone else has a similar JET-I Pro V3?