• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired I need help designing custom fog-lamps for my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankman1989

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

I am pretty new to the "light fetish (J/K)" crowd but have always been fascinated with bright lights, flashlights etc.

I am interested in finding out if it is possible to make fog-lights/lamps for my car. I have an area which could easily house a light assembly that is rough;y 3"x14" (this is where the factory headlamps were until someone stole them).

If anyone is wondering my car is a 2000 VW GTI.

Anyway, I would love to make a custom setup here and I have seen A LOT of talent on this board. I was wondering if some of you could give me some ideas as to how to go about, what the brightest lights (LED preffered) are and if they can be powered with a 12-14.4v system.

I don't want this to be "done" for me, that is not what I am asking. I feel overwhelmed with there being so much info on this board and over time I will acclimate, but now I need some help.

So, I'm looking for brightness, distance (maybe extra lights focused on dispersal?). This will be wired on it's own circuit which can have as much current as needed at 12v! ( have wire down to 0 gauge from my stereo system from years past).

So, what do you say? Can anyone help out?

Much thanks in advance!

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tankman1989,

First off :welcome:.

Having said that you are posting your question in the wrong place. This is for custom buy,sell and trade only.

Cheers

tankman1989

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I guess i know know what the B/S/T means. Thanks for the greetings and info on the post.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
copied over to the new thread deleted to avoid double posting

Last edited:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
although this will get moved, the LED i would suggest is the luminus devices CSM-360 its a quad-die LED that can put out 6000 lumens at 6.3amps, the most important part is that the forward voltage for the chip is between 12.8 and 13.6 volts. You will likely need some excellent heat sinking a a slight current regulator, but at least its starting in the correct range. data sheet for the LED is here

Holy Wow! That would be an insane set of Fog Lights! I do hope that the CSM-360-W gets used for something like this though (more of a headlight with an actuated cutoff for adding in high beams). 2x600 lumens in a set of fog lights would be far brighter than your headlights even.

Some good LEDs to use would be SSC P7, Cree MC-E, Luminous SST-50 or SST-90. I would love to pick up a couple of those 360's for some offroad lighting too. Harnessing the output from that emitter will be a chore as well as heatsinking though. Moving this to the automotive section, you'll most likely find that you'll be told that your creation is going to need to be safe and legal, (DOT approved as well as some other regulations). Just as your low beam headlights are set up to have a level they don't go over (for oncoming traffic purposes), a fog light also has regulations which must not be overlooked or you could be at fault for a serious accident. Its definitely possible to do, but its also a lot harder than you think.

My two cents.

:welcome:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, tankman1989.

I see you have now re-posted this in the Automotive section. As it is now running there, I'll close this version. For future reference, if you accidentally post in the wrong section, just ask a moderator to move it for you. Rule 9 is specific about posting duplicate threads.

To other members - the report button can be used to draw a moderator's attention to a misposted thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.