Preon battery question from a noob

divechief

Newly Enlightened
Hi, long time lurker, I love my fenix P3d, but you guys have reeled me in, I have my first quark and prisim on order and I am looking hard at the Preon's.

I am going to order a Preon kit. I will probably give the preon away for Xmas but I will use it to decide which Ti to order.

any guesses if a 3.7 volt 10440 battery in a Preon 1 will give the same 160 lumens as a two AAA preon? any one know the difference in run times?

how about two 10440's in a preon2?

TIA
Dave

Moonshadow

Enlightened
From 4Sevens own website:

Operating Voltage Range: 0.9V-3.0V
So don't even try it, unless you want to hear . . .:poof:

Unprotected cells are a bad idea in any light, and I'm sure a quick search will turn up plenty of discussions on the merits (or otherwise) of using 10440s in AAA lights.

:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Unless the battery is supported, I wouldn't use it. The Preon uses a boost circuit tp raise the voltage from the batteries to what the LED needs. 2 10440s will be way higher then the intended voltage of 3.0v, so it will fry the light.

I have no doubt that someone will try a 10440 in their Preon, so if you are willing to wait, you can see how that turns out.

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Someone's gotta try a 10440 in a Preon 1. But, only do it if you've purchased the kit and an extra head, because chances are it'll fry. I've got one on order, but am waiting for another adventurous soul to test it out.

I personally am guessing that one of his later releases will be a Preon type light designed for Lion batteries - or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

RR

travelinman

Enlightened
Someone's gotta try a 10440 in a Preon 1. But, only do it if you've purchased the kit and an extra head, because chances are it'll fry. I've got one on order, but am waiting for another adventurous soul to test it out.

I personally am guessing that one of his later releases will be a Preon type light designed for Lion batteries - or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

RR

If you read the entire Preon forum :huh: you'll find numerous times he has said no unprotected Lion cells, ever!

Probably you are engaging in wishful thinking.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've been using the 10440 in the Ti Preon since this morning and measured my starting output at 38-39 lux to set a reference output point. As the weeks pass I'll be able to retest it so see if any output degradation has occurred. The output is obviously outstanding and beats my Maratac AAA's and 10440 by 16-18% on high. My three Maratac's measured 31, 32 & 31 lux with equal cells. Based on other lights in the 38-39 lux range, the Preon is outputting in the neighborhood of 190 lumens.

I'll be carrying this light exclusively for the next few weeks so I recommend that anyone considering the 10440 wait for further reports. Also, if you're not a veteran 10440 user, don't even bother wasting your time with this combination. Ti, XP-G's and the 10440 may not play nicely together even if you know what you're doing. :caution:

I hope to post some outdoor beamshots later.

r1gm1n

Newly Enlightened
... Ti, XP-G's and the 10440 may not play nicely together even if you know what you're doing. :caution: ... .

Which is why I will be watching for your report. When (IF ?) PowerGenix releases a Ni-Zn AAA, I will try it in my Preon kit. I might have to replace the Preon head but, considering where I carry my EDC, I won't be looking for a prothesis.

:santa: MORE POWER

Viper715

Enlightened
Can't wait to here your further report Patriot. I have a extra head laying around just in case.

Patriot

Flashaholic
So far, so good with the 10440. I've been using it 10-15 minutes a day at various output levels including high. I ran an output test last night and got a reading of 40.1 lux vs. 38.8 lux, which was my starting figure. I reckon that was due to the cell I used this time and perhaps it was a slightly better performer. In any case, all my 10440's deliver between 37-40.1 lux in the Preon.

I'll likely be posting a video of actual use later today and I'm topping off cells at the moment and will be pulling them hot off the Nano chargers to demonstrate.

I want to reinforce that using the 10440 in the Preon is risky, so if you have any doubts don't even bother yourself with the combo. Remember you have the option of the 2xAAA if you want more output. The 10440 formula is for the LED hot rodder, who's well aware of the risks, has weighed those risks and understands them. This said, I'm not reckless either, I know where I might be able to push the envelope and where not to. For example I never ran a 10440 in the LOD Rebel because on paper it seemed like emitter death would surely result. I figured the XP-G would handle the voltage as long as the circuit would and so far everything is good.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks Bob! Of course, it all depends on how high the risk is whether I take one in the chin or not.. ;)

I was pretty certain that it wouldn't hurt the light because the voltage sag doesn't allow 4.2V to the LED continuously. It rapidly drops off the highest voltage and sort of self regulates to a point. The same goes for the cell. As the voltage sags and the LED output decreases the load, although initially very high, decreases as well to an acceptable (imo) discharge rate. Additionally the Ultrafire 10440's that I've purchased have been ridiculously robust to the point that even I'm surprised at the abuse they take. I'll be purchasing some fresh 10440's soon and I'll post another video with brand new cells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qAVOyo2UUU

For some "youtube" reason, the other video stopped working and I'm having to reload it now. It will take about 15 minutes until the quality improves.

Last edited:

droptop

Newly Enlightened
will the new protected 10440's work for this light using a single cell? i don't know much about how the protected cells work, but i'm sure most of do.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
From 4Sevens own website:

So don't even try it, unless you want to hear . . .:poof:

Unprotected cells are a bad idea in any light, and I'm sure a quick search will turn up plenty of discussions on the merits (or otherwise) of using 10440s in AAA lights.

Geeze....The head and LED is the same, many many lights not approved by the maker will work with diff battery options. Since about day 3 I have been running 10440 unprotected cells in my Preon 1, its simply awesome! I would bet its easily the 160 lumens. I use alot of 10440's and recharge them frequently, never had a mishap and the few you read about are nothing compared to how many of these are in use around the world. I use them in several different single AAA lights including several Fenix LD01 and LOD's with Streamlight clicky bodies.They all work great, after several months not a single problem with running them in my Preon among other lights before the Preon.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Still says "this video removed by user" :thinking:

Oops, sorry about that. Here is the correct link. I'll correct it up top as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qAVOyo2UUU

will the new protected 10440's work for this light using a single cell? i don't know much about how the protected cells work, but i'm sure most of do.

It should, as long as the length isn't excessive. The overdischarge protection circuit is set high enough on the AW cells that it shouldn't kick in.

Last edited:

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the video and sharing your experiences:bow:.
I can confirm your statement, i use 10440 too in my preon1. No problems and brighter than preon2 with two standard AAA.

travelinman

Enlightened
OK, lots on here about the Preon 1 being extra bright on high, but what happens to the low? I like the low for "midnight wanderings" so don't particularily want an "extra bright" low.

Any comparisons out there with NiMhs and 10440s on low in a Preon1?

Latest posts