• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Custom 2D Mag HID (welch allyn 11W)

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
I am selling my VERY recently built Maglite HID, which uses Welch Allyn 11W bulb, ballast, trailtech regulator and 14.8v li-ion battery pack.

The host is a Black 2D maglite. I also have a Red 2D maglite which can be used as the host (if you prefer).

IMG_0991.jpg

The great thing about this light is that it requires nearly no modification to the maglite body in order to assemble. So, if you get bored with the color, you can easily swap the internals into another maglite. The only modification that is required is to file a few threads from the tailcap in order to make room for the battery pack.

MOP reflector from: www.Britelumens.com

Borofloat Glass lens from: www.Flashlightlens.com

IMG_0962.jpg

Li-ion Battery Pack (4s2p): I used (8) Sanyo 14650 li-ion batteries and (4) 7.2v li-ion protection pcbs. Each battery has a capacity of 3.7v@900mah. This pack is good for [email protected]. The battery pack is perfectly aligned and glued together and fitted with plastic end and middle caps to eliminate the possibility of the batteries shorting with eachother or the host body. The external diameter of each cell is 13.9mm, which (conveniently) allows them to be configured in a square 4-cell pattern while still fitting safely inside the un-modified mag body. The length of the battery pack is exactly long enough to fit inside the mag body and places its negative terminal precisely onto the machined step inside the tailcap. This means that there is no spring tension required. You just need to make sure that the tailcap is tightened up snug.

IMG_0946.jpg

H.I.D. Bulb (minus the glass envelope):
http://www.walamp.com/lpd/webstore/detail.tpl?partnumber=M10N001-1&cart=12523078782852126

Ballast: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2689

Voltage Regulator: The ballast needs 10v-14.8v, so in order to regulate the voltage properly. So I used the circuit inside of this: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4656

The ballast has an cylindrical diameter of 35mm, so I had to spin it on the lathe to remove about 1mm, so it would fit precisely in the mag body. (Removing 1mm doesnt harm any of the potted internal components.) Fitting the ballast, regulator and stock maglite switch into the limited space in front of the battery was a challenge. First I reduced the length of the stock switch to the bare minimum. I then converted it to function as a momentary switch. Then I wired the regulator and epoxied it directly on top of the modified switch assembly. The slimmed down ballast was then wired to the regulator and epoxied in place. After everything was tested and functioning flawlessly, the switch/regulator/ballast was completely potted into a single cylinder shaped unit. The overall length of the assembly ended up being exactly long enough to place the bulb into the optimal range of focus for the reflector.

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

Light output should be >500 lumens (based on WA specs). This may not seem like a lot compared to the recent Cree and SSC led lights, however it will outthrow any of them many times over. And of course... there's always the "wow" factor of a hand held HID...

Its only been used a few times. Roughly enough to fully discharge the battery one and a half times. So all components are basically at the beginning of their life cycle.

Everything mentioned here is included. However, you will need some method of charging the 14.8v battery. The pack has all of the necessary protective circuitry, but requires a proper li-ion charger. I use a universal li-ion/NiMh/SLA, which I simply connect to my packs with alligator clips.

Im asking $250, but feel free to PM me with other offers. I accept Paypal. PM me for Paypal info.