Where & How Much is Rayovac LED Keychain (BRSLEDKEY-BMF)

pongpong80

Newly Enlightened
My friend told me that Rayovac LED Keychain (BRSLEDKEY-BMF) is small enough for carrying and has a button at the back for easily turning on. But he forgot how does it come.

Where could I buy it and How much should it be?

Thanks in advance!

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, pongpong80.

I'll move your thread to the LED Flashlight section for you.

I'm not familiar with the light you mention, but have a look around here and I'm sure you'll find plenty of possible alternatives to it - and I expect you'll receive plenty of advice from other members too.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
It's about $3 at Walmart (in store, not listed at web site). There is a similar one with a pushbutton switch -- a penlight style -- but the other is a twisty, although you can fudge it a bit by almost tightening it enough and then using the play to turn it on momentarily.

Both use a single AAA but neither of these are very bright, although I always have one in my pocket. There are better lights available, but these are pretty good for the price.

The ITP A3 eos (a twisty switch) and the Maratec lights (both about $20) can go much brighter -- use the google search function at the top of this page to find reviews on them.

Dorcy (look at http://www.dorcydirect.com/c-1-led-flashlights.aspx ) also has nice little keychain lights, only about $6 or $8 but not very bright such as 41-4224 1AAA, among their offerings.

Fenix also has good lights in this class (look at 4sevens.com).

Someone may mention Photon lights, but I don't have any so I can't tell you about them. Check out 4seven's new Preons too.

Yeah -- there's a LOT of nice little lights around, but the Ray-o-vacs at Walmart are probably the cheapest if all you want is a sturdy light with low level to see something a few feet away. But these are like peanuts -- nobody can eat/buy just one.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
In Dixon and Sterling (Lee county, Il) they are $3 and $2.88 last week. Walmarts prices (and what is carried) vary a bit depending on where the store is.
I see the pen light at http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/flashlight_general.shtml (with list of places to buy) but not the same keychain light I have, which they may have discontinued -- it may have been too costly to make in their judgement: it IS very sturdy. There is another aaa one listed http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/key-b_rb.shtml

The way LED technology is growing, and the economy changing, I don't think most lights will be around for all that long -- maybe a few years. The good news is that newer is often better. (Maybe I should get a Fenix E01 for at least the collection, while I still can.)

pongpong80

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of your advice! :twothumbs

I will go to Walmart and locate it!

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
In Walmart today -- they had a new version of the BRSLEDKEY-BMF.
Still $3, and looks like the older one except the front bezel is chamfered and the tailcap is rounded.

But the LED is different and I have [never] seen such a horrible beam except on a few of the really bad cheap incandescents. The outside is a grey corona, then a light ring, then a thick dark ring, the another light ring, then a disk the color of pea soup with dark mold growing in it, and in the middle is a purple diamond with two dark circles that look like two eyes of a space alien looking at you. :eek:

Glad I bought only one -- and it may be the inspiration for doing my first led upgrade if I can get it apart, unless I want to shine it a dark disko hall to frighten people, who might think it's a UFO on the ceiling.

I think Rayovac must have gone nuts putting this garbage out, with their name plastered on the rubber sleeve. Seeing this I would be hesitant to buy anything else from RoV -- it's that bad. :eeew:

Last edited:

DarkMandalorian

Newly Enlightened
Your description of this flashlight is perfect! I just picked up one of these abominations today, and I have to say I have never seen a beam this ugly before. :sick2: I would have been better served spending my $2 on a glow stick.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these. A bit of diffusion film makes the beam a perfect directed flood.
After that, the build quality is actually quite decent for the price point; better and more solid than the Dorcy AAA 5mm led lights that were so popular from Walmart. I saw a post or two here about drilling out the lens, replacing the reflector, etc. The film does the trick, is cheap, and durable.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, the little Dorcy AAA model is better. Especially in terms of beam quality. I own a couple myself, including a One-Off "Patriot" model and the super Uber-rare black version.