Wacky luxeon light holder. Post your pic here.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometime ago, I built this with a couple of standard battery holders (2AA and 1AA), slide switch, heatsink and a resistor just for fun.

I am sure others have done something similar too. Grab your photos and post it here.

3aa_finned_heatsink.jpg

yclo, post your pic here.

moraino

Enlightened
What about this, wacky enough? It's my most used light in the house.

It has two speed. Low:about 60mA. High: full blast of 3 cells regarless NiMh or Alky.

fbdd707e.jpg

fbdd81e5.jpg

Henry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
toylet52.jpg

A yellow Luxeon in a pink plastic toliet.
Runs direct-drive from two AA cells in the cistern; pressing the "flusher" makes it light up.
Whacky enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
fcb3e692.jpg

fcb3e3c9.jpg

and another highlight from that topic:
fcb3e3c8.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey roth, is there an LS epoxied in that glass? where is the battery source? inside as well?

evan. i like it!! the heatsink acts as a protector for the star/o! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
no, that's not a light...it's rancid beverage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

if you're interested in reading more about it, look here

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
ha ha ha. boy do i feel silly! hey, you room is damn messy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

marklein

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this is "Wacky" but it sure is ghetto. My dual-Luxeon, infinitly adjustable brightness headlight.

headlight.jpg

You can't see it, but there is a plexi cover on the front.
head.jpg

Batteries in the back for weight balance:
batteries.jpg

Red for night vision, white for... um... seeing stuff:
light-ani.gif

Everybody says I look like a dork wearing it. Then I blind them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
Case is aluminum for direct heatsinking. The lamp and battery pack come off the straps and can be attached to my bike helmet instead. No chance to try it on a bike trail yet though. It looks uber-ghey but nobody makes a headlamp with my exact desires built in. If you want it done right, do it yourself!

moraino

Enlightened
Marklein,

Interesting mod.

The black is a pot, what value do you use?
What about the white tab on the other side? Is it a switch to choose white or red Luxeon?

Henry

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ughh, Roth
That is one messy room and a yuckie liquor. tidy up a bit, will you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
oh, there is also this.
fc2fef18.jpg

it's a reflector testing device /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

would you rather i clean my room or work on someones projects? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

marklein

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
moraino said:
The black is a pot, what value do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it was 300 or 500 ohm. 300 sounds correct at the moment. The trouble is that when you crank the brightness up that pot is carrying 1 watt of power (1W Luxeon) so it has to be pretty big. If not for that the whole head would have been much smaller. I REALLY wanted it though. Runtime on lower levels is many hours. At minimum bright it runs for nearly a week (calculated). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
moraino said:
What about the white tab on the other side? Is it a switch to choose white or red Luxeon?

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, some nice work here. I love ghetto, especially when it works!

Wilkey