Help finding first light...

Joe Fowler

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for specific "specifics" but am having a hard time finding the right one that'll fit.

Here they are:

Length: 4.5 in, give or take half an inch.
Battery: AA
Crenelated Bezel
And around $50.

I've been looking at the Fenix LD10, but it may be a bit too short.

Any other suggestions?

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
dont think you gonna find many 1AA lights that are more than 4inches (100mm) as that is already a "long" one. (jetbeam pro1 and ld10 are both about that.. but most others are shorter.)

and crennalations are also a rare thing in AA lights as most of the "tactical" people demand bigger lights with longer runtimes anyways.

and that 50 dollars is low budget. in general in quality lights and in lights that are designed to be somewhat strong enough built to be used as some kind of implementation tool (why else you need thow crowns on the head unless you intend to use it as blunt trauma tool)

few lights that are for "heavy" users run in higher price class.. nitecore ndi to name one.. and that too is shorter than 100mm if i recall right.

to get 4.5 inches or more. i think you need to step up to different battery types (two cr123 or 18650) or amount of batteries there are several 2aa lights with crennelations( but then the length grows alot)

but if you dont need the crown
and can live with under 4 inches
and then increase the budget with 20$ or so,

then there are plenty 1AA lights we can start suggesting to you. ( naming my current favorite first, 47s quark aa)

Joe Fowler

Newly Enlightened
I definitely appreciate the response. I'm very new to flashlights and can use some help. My first light was an Inova T1, and although I like it, I think I could have gotten one that better suited my needs if I spent a bit more time looking. Here is a btter idea of what I'm looking for...

About 4 to 5 in long. (Just barely longer than my fist.) I need it short enough for pocket carry but long enough to use as a blunt impact weapon is necessary.

Uses one AA (not a deal breaker so CR123's or another battery is fine).

Has at least two brightness settings that are easy to switch between, preferable before the light is even turned on so I can keep it on the "turbo" mode most of the time, but switch to "very low" before I turn it on in a theater or my room and not blind anyone for the first second or two!

Crenelated bezel.

Pocket clip.

Tail switch.

And all this for around $50 (give or take).

I know I'm proably asking a lot, but so far I'v found the Fenix LD10+ and the ITP E50 (no crenelations) in my price range.

Just wondering if there are others I'm missing.

Thanks! :twothumbs

flasherByNight

Enlightened
E1L single stage think has gone as low as 60 in marketplace...closer to 80-90 for multi-stage. (uses 123's).

I have a single stage that I have just rediscovered out of my toolbox, definitely could smack someone on the head with it, even without a very aggressive crenelation...(technically just scalloped mebbe?)

(just about exactly 4")

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
man, rare to find someone who wants a longer 1xAA light, my akoray k106 comes in at just under 4 inches, but doesnt have crenellations etc.

The Solarforce L2 should suit you, get the stainless steel tactical bezel to go with it and you're all set, if you dont mind using 18650 cells you could probably get longer runtimes.

Alternatively (this is out of your budget but hey, get a good light that suits most if not all your needs), take a look at this tactical bezel, which fits this light or this light. I own the Pro ST and it's one tough light, it has 3 modes each individually programmable so depending on circumstances, i can program them to suit expected usage.

Say i'm heading to the theatre, i'd have first mode (or maybe even all 3 modes) on minimum to locate seats etc and after the show, i can re-program any of the modes to a higher level to check under the seats if i dropped anything etc.

I also own the Solarforce with that tactical bezel, the teeth are tough and sharp (but not razor sharp) and i have tested it against plaster walls etc with no damage so far (to the light i mean :D ), one good thing about the Solarforce is that it can take 18650s and/or CR123s/RCR123s. Got mine running a Lumens Factory HO-9 and its a great light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I was about to recommend the Tiablo TL-1 too. It's a long AA light that also has crenelations. A bit over 4.5" by my calculations (117mm/25.4mm-per-inch = 4.6") and also $9 more then your $50 cap. There is an 8% off coupon at 4sevens, "CPF8".

:welcome:

Joe Fowler

Newly Enlightened
That Tiablo looks good. It seems to fit my requirements.

Is there a pocket clip for it?

Also, am I reading this right? Max Lumens - 230 Min - 3?

That would be very cool.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
LEDs ace be driven at different currents to produce different output. So it is possible to have a light that can produce 200+ lumen and also less then 3 lumen with the same battery. You'll need a 14500 Li-ion battery to get the "230" lumen though. A normal AA battery can't supply the voltage or power.

Joe Fowler

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thank you.

At this point the Solarforce is the front runner. :thumbsup:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
solarforce L2 is very good option. it really is good value for dollar. and good start up light. (in my mind a bit big to carry comfortably in trouserpocket.. more like jacket pocket or holster kind of light.. but thats just me.)

i have got three of them.. well, actually now only two (as some bstrd liked my mce also too and stole it!)

upgrade to dropin of your preference. and with some drop ins you can use 18650 li-ion too.

18650 gives you long runtime and its rechargable. i just dont endorse primary batteries other than spares and backups. all my lights use rechargables if possible.