Surefire KX3 on the way!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got on eBay after getting home from running some errands and saw a black KX3 was available. Price was $91 including shipping

I should have it before the weekend and will post pictures and beamshots when it arrives.

It has 3 levels...15/60/115
Runtime is stated as 32/7/2 with respect to the levels
It has an SSC emitter and a reflector. The spring appears to be gold plated in the pictures

I'll post up more info when I get it.:thumbsup:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The levels throw me a bit, but I'm still interested in seeing what they have here.

Edit: If I don't like the levels, I can just get a KL5A. Options for everybody!

henry1960

Enlightened
Got on eBay after getting home from running some errands and saw a black KX3 was available. Price was $91 including shipping

I should have it before the weekend and will post pictures and beamshots when it arrives.

It has 3 levels...15/60/115
Runtime is stated as 32/7/2 with respect to the levels
It has an SSC emitter and a reflector. The spring appears to be gold plated in the pictures

I'll post up more info when I get it.:thumbsup:

I Want Oneeeeee :D

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
and you will end up putting another XPG-R5 emitter in it which will produce beautiful beam with that SSC reflector :whistle:

Sooo... Tim, what'cha doin' tonight? :whistle:

Depleting your stock of XP-G's?

Damn! I guess I'm gonna have to mix it up...:thinking:
My mods are becoming too predictable.:laughing:

It just came in the mail along with a Desert Tan Scoutlight!:naughty::twothumbs

Surefire must seem to think people like the blue/purple tints:ironic:
The reflector is plastic.
The window is plastic
And the bezel had NO loc-tite on it:thinking:
The plastic driver housing has 4 tabs that go through 4 holes and are melted and mushroomed out to hold it all together:ironic:
The beam is nice, but the tint could be better...it leans toward purple
The 3 levels are spaced out nicely and the highest level is actually pretty darn bright!:twothumbs..it also looks like it's going to throw well!:thumbsup:
Considering it cost $90, I think SF could have used better quality components/assembly techniques
If I end up keeping this, I'll have to do an emitter swap.
I will also replace the plastic window with a KL3 window I have laying around, if it will fit.
I'll have to wait till it's dark out to actually get a good idea of what this can do..:popcorn:
Until then heres some pics...

014-21.jpg

013-36.jpg

KX3 on Low---------------------------------------------E2DL Q3-5A on Low
015-18.jpg

KX3 on High--------------------------------------------E2DL /Q3-5A on High
016-24.jpg

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. I have some questions. First of all I'm suprised the reflector is plastic. Very suprised. I wonder what will happen if it gets hot when it runs for a long time.....

What would you say the high output rates at? Would you say its closer to actual rating or higher?

Can you measure that lens? I wonder if there is a UCL that size on flashlightlens.com.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics!! :twothumbs

Yeah, plastic reflector and lens? :sick2: Hopefully a glass lens can be fit in there..

That beam looks alot like that of the P60L. I wonder how the two compare?

ETA - Tan Scoutlight? :faint: Could you post some pics of that? Even if you have to start a new thread, please do it. We need shots of that light.. :grin2:

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta bump this thread. Considering picking one up. How hard is it to get the emitter or would you have to practically destroy it to swap it?

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
I now own this head. Picked it up in the marketplace.
The emitter is very easy to get to once you unscrew the bezel ring which DaFab noted is not glued. The emitter is held in by the typical SF gray thermal adhesive and the leads are not buried deep in any recessed hole. I see why the reflector is plastic instead of aluminum. The bottom of the reflector is resting right on the leads of the emitter! Very simple build, but does not seem to lack any quality. I'm going to be switching out the emitter pretty soon to a whiter one.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump for a great thread. Still considering picking up one.... would definetly like to see results of plopping an XP-G in there....