Mag rebel focusing questions

RaVeN38571

Newly Enlightened
I've recently got a maglite rebel 2d and I like the brightness of it, but the flood to throw on it is a little lacking. So, is there a way to make it better by changing to a different lens or reflector? Thanks.

RaVeN38571

Newly Enlightened
Is there a cheap aspherical lens that would make it better? I've read that an aspherical lens seems to help, but no one mentions what brand or place to get them. Thanks.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rebel Mags are using new reflectors iirc. I don't think you'll find a readily available alternative for one but I could be wrong. I haven't gotten to disassemble one yet so I don't know if an old reflector fits or not but I doubt it.

An aspheric lens works without a reflector. So you'd have to remove the stock M@g reflector and replace the standard window with the aspheric lens. You can find cheap plastic aspherics that will work on Chinese bargain websites. You can find quality glass ones at mellesgriot.com

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Reflectors always have a problem of being ringy and producing artifacts when not in full focus (aka "flood" mode). I have never seen a reflector that does both well.

Having an add on diffuser would give a cleaner beampattern then trying to find a reflector that does well in both a tight beam and a floody beam (flood is a beam pattern! spill is not called flood!). You can try a lens, but remember that not all the light from the LED hits the lens, so you will loose some output.

RaVeN38571

Newly Enlightened
I would like to try an aspheric lens, but I dont know what size would work the best. Is there a way to determine the right "curve" of the lens?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Aspheric is a type of lens, so just look for an aspherical lens, look for a 52mm one. I'm not sure where the focus point should be though. The description of the lens should tell you what distance the focal point is at.