Day carry?

RyanLF

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, by EDC to you guys mean you carry a light in your pocket during the day too? I just bought my first Surfire (LX2) and I carried it around in my pocket the whole day. I love it! Anyone else do that? :)

ejot

Enlightened
I'm carried my Novatac today and used it no less than 20 times. Lost count.

(No windows in my lab. :shakehead)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact of the matter is that humans don't have particularly good night vision and when it's dark we are significantly disabled. It doesn't even have to be nighttime for a flashlight to come in very handy. Especially in the urban environment, there are lots of opportunities for the lights to fail during the day in situations where there is no external source of lights. While most such places in the first world are equipped with emergency lighting, not the case in the second and third world, it is generally not very effective, at best, and often fails to work or is virtually ineffective in some circumstances.

from www.equipped.org

very true words..:)

I carry around a stash in case, and also for fun. Flashlights are my toys and my tools, so why not carry a few around instead of....say....a play station portable?

Crenshaw

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
yeah i carry a flashlight no matter if sun is up or down. (during regular day its rare if i dont need a flashlight for some chore atleast for 3-6 times.)

my edc lights means lights i may carry on me when im out of my house.

i have few that are in rotation for those edc lights. (currently 6 i think)

normally i have 3 on me.

one in keychain.. when i go out the door, i have that with me atleast.
one in belt holster.. if i wear pants, i have that with me.
one in pocket of my pants.. (this is the one that gets swapped by mood and by possible need)

then if i really know i need one for specific task.. i take one extra.

i dont carry spare batteries.. well i do.. sorta.. i carry them in containers that are actually flashlights.

and in my car. well. i have atleast 3 there too.
hmm.. no, now that i think about it.. currently there is Five (+6 fauxtons).

edit: yeah. we are flashlight nuts here. very newbie question "if we carry.." hahahahah.. we do. those who dont, should. sings: "here he comes (the flashlightnut) to save the day"

Last edited:

RyanLF

Newly Enlightened
wow okay then! sounds pretty unanimus. I guess I have another thing to carry around daily now! I carried a P3D every night I went out before, but now that I have a pocket clip I'm carrying my LX2! :D

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, by EDC to you guys mean you carry a light in your pocket during the day too? I just bought my first Surfire (LX2) and I carried it around in my pocket the whole day. I love it! Anyone else do that? :)

i think its safe to say that all (well, it should be all) of us do carry lights during the day. I usually have 2 on me and some more in the bag plus spare cells as well.

Right now, its the EX10 GDP in pocket, Fenix LD01 (10440) on keychain, Akoray K106 and Solarforce L2 with LF EO-9 in the bag. i still feel underquipped though.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow okay then! sounds pretty unanimus.
Heh, yes, just maybe it is. Depends though. If its the afternoon and I'm going to cut down a tree, no light.

I guess I have another thing to carry around daily now!
If its the afternoon and I'm in the office or called out to the hospital or a highrise, I'll have one in the pocket and another in the work bag, plus MEC turtle on keychain. Most helpful was a call by fire chief to an appartment that was gutted - I passed out my lights, could have had more, FD's gear was 20x larger and 1/20 as bright.
Don't carry anything because 'you have to.' If you're going to use it and it's helpful to you, maybe its a good idea to edc it. I don't carry anything I don't use.

(and I don't use anything I don't carry:crackup:)

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I carry mine all day also. Just today I used it to find a receipt that had slipped into a dark corner of my truck cab.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess that 30% to 40% of the time I turn my EDC on [a Nitecore D10] is during daylight hours. In the garage, or the basement, behind the desk, bottom shelf of the refridge. Part of that is because I don't necessarily turn on a light when I go into those rooms.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep my Saik SA-8 (cheap ebay knockoff, but is a Cree XR-E Q4 on 18650 with High/Low/Strobe - I find it very useful) in my work pack at all times, as well as a MiniMag AA in my tool kit.

My iTP A1 EOS will be going straight in my pocket as soon as it arrives...

shark_za

Enlightened
Power failures are a regular occurrence in South Africa, more so where I stay as the development is going through the roof. New places being built at an alarming rate, people cutting power by mistake and for scheduled link ups.
Most places are getting generators but almost every week I am walking in a dark basement parking or some dark place.
This is over and above the general use like looking at the back of the PC in a dark corner, that sort of thing.
Working late also gets me walking out of the building after security have turned off most of the lights. You never know when an issue creeps in that makes my day schedule a night event.

I now have an iTP A3 on my card lanyard and a small AA torch in my pocket all the time.
I bounce between LGX200 (favourite), LD10, iTP C7T and even a Romisen RC-G2.

They all could end up being night time lights if I get stuck in a bar somewhere after a long lunch but when I know I'm going out at night I like to have a Surefire with a high output R2 LED in it. Even the iTP in C8 mode works for this.

bstrickler

Enlightened
I carry my Surefire 6P with Lumensfactory 3.6-13v XR-E R2 dropin, along with my MiniMag AA with Nite-Ize 3-LED dropin (15+ hours of light from an Alkaline. Safe to use with Nimhs, since it only drops cells to 1.0 volts). I also carry my Lighthound $1 1 LED keychain light, and my strock Solitaire (in dire need of upgrade to XP-E!). I also carry 6+ AA's in my backpack, plus 2 extra sets of batteries for my 6P (1 set rechargable in the light, 1 set outside, in a case, and Surefire Primary CR123's in the same case). I need to get a Pelican 1010 with lots of RCR123's and CR123's (juuust in case). Also need the 3-mode dropin, too, on top of another 6P.

My other lights are too large to EDC with me (4D P7, which I'm tryin to sell, 3D 3W Mag LED, and 3-9AA Stanley 369. Last one is great for power-outages. Lots of runtime from it. Need to test on Nimhs, after checking dead Alkaline power levels. Still on first set, with 20+ hours of use)

~Brian

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my Surefire 6P with Lumensfactory 3.6-13v XR-E R2 dropin, along with my MiniMag AA with Nite-Ize 3-LED dropin (15+ hours of light from an Alkaline. Safe to use with Nimhs, since it only drops cells to 1.0 volts). I also carry my Lighthound $1 1 LED keychain light, and my strock Solitaire (in dire need of upgrade to XP-E!). I also carry 6+ AA's in my backpack, plus 2 extra sets of batteries for my 6P (1 set rechargable in the light, 1 set outside, in a case, and Surefire Primary CR123's in the same case). I need to get a Pelican 1010 with lots of RCR123's and CR123's (juuust in case). Also need the 3-mode dropin, too, on top of another 6P.

My other lights are too large to EDC with me (4D P7, which I'm tryin to sell, 3D 3W Mag LED, and 3-9AA Stanley 369. Last one is great for power-outages. Lots of runtime from it. Need to test on Nimhs, after checking dead Alkaline power levels. Still on first set, with 20+ hours of use)

~Brian
I have one of those Stanley 369's. I find it's only useful for mood lighting.

Yes, it lasts forever on 9 batteries, but that's because it doesn't put out any light!

There was a post floating around the depths of CPF about replacing the LED's with brighter ones. I might give that a go next time i'm bored.