Jetbeam Raptor RRT-1: Little Disappointed

droeun

Newly Enlightened
As soon as I picked up this light, all I could say was:

124-1daamn.png

This thing feels like a brick compared to my DBS! most of the weight is up front and feels like a 5lb dumbbell. The thing is pretty bright, but I don't find it that much brighter than my DBS (currently using 3SD R2 w/SMO) - not enough difference to justify the additional size & weight. Compared to the DBS, it's only marginally taller & wider but after hands-on with this light I don't consider it to be in the same EDC pocket thrower class, but maybe a size up (something you'd keep in the glove box because it's too bulky to carry in your pants). It also seems you have to find the sweet spot with the focus ring; something I'd rather have pre-tuned for maximum distance straight from the factory. The UI is nice but it's easy to switch levels accidentally while turning it on. The light has a lot of potential but unfortunately it isn't there yet and didn't live up to my expectations. I understand that some others might have a difference of opinion but for me it just didn't live up to the hype. Some areas for improvement:

1. Make it lighter & more evenly balanced
  2. Tune it for maximum throw straight out of the box - do away with the focus ring
  3. Add a pocket clip
  4. Thicken the battery tube
  5. Offer regulation on 18650

Last edited:

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
I dont have the RRT-1 but I do have the RRT-2 and I do agree that the selector ring is fairly easy to turn when you are not intending to turn it. I almost got the RRT-1 but decided to go with the DBS instead. I am very happy with the DBS.

lightforce2

Enlightened
  1. Make it lighter & more evenly balanced
  2. Tune it for maximum throw straight out of the box - do away with the focus ring
  3. Add a pocket clip
  4. Thicken the battery tube
  5. Offer regulation on 18650
Yep, I'd have to agree with the above comments.
I have an RRT-1 and its an OK light only, I also have 2 DBS's and 4 Tiablo's A8/9's that are great. the least used is the RRT-1

I would love to do away with the strobe mode if I could.

The most dissapointing aspect of the RRT-1 is that I cant dismantle it to upgrade the emitter, I would like to mod the circuit to get greater lumen output so that its comparable to my other throwers which have been easy to mod

cheers

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I have an RRT-1 that I recently took out and checked out in the forest... my observations are: it's built like tank, solid with a good heft although unbalanced due to the large reflector / head and it throws like crazy! It easily out-threw all other lights, including an Olight M30 (not quite a valid comparison since it has an MC-E but the M30 does throw quite a bit) as well as my SF 6P w/ M60.

Make it lighter & more evenly balanced
  1. Tune it for maximum throw straight out of the box - do away with the focus ring
  2. Add a pocket clip
  3. Thicken the battery tube
  4. Offer regulation on 18650
I also agree with some of droeun's points 1, 3 and 4 and also the observation about tightening up the selector ring and getting rid of / hiding the strobe. In fact, if they made this IBS, then it would be a thing of beauty!

The most dissapointing aspect of the RRT-1 is that I cant dismantle it to upgrade the emitter, I would like to mod the circuit to get greater lumen output so that its comparable to my other throwers which have been easy to mod
cheers
Try this thread... unfortunately, some of the pics are no longer availble but there's some tips on how to open the head in order to gain access to the emitter.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/245465&highlight=Raptor

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Mine also flickers momentarily when turning on - anyone else notice this?

dunderhi

Newly Enlightened
I found the light to be front heavy, so I added two M1X extension tubes to turn it into a 2x18650 light. It's more balanced now and my "goto" light for my evening walks.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys I wouldn't start a new thread just fort hsi so please excuse the question...

I cannot find.uderstand whta the standby mod is...
something like off, or something like a crazy LOW just to find the light?

thanks, kostas

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is just what it says.

Standby, without turning the light off.

So you can just spin the selector ring and have instant light without needing to use the tailcap switch.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be sure not to use it for extended times also, as it has a parasitic draining effect... I feel that it is an unnecessary feature personally.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be sure not to use it for extended times also, as it has a parasitic draining effect... I feel that it is an unnecessary feature personally.
if your thumb is on the tail switch, you can only single-handledly control the light to go on or off, but if one is held with an underarm grip (whatever you call it), you can change the brightness level AND "on-off" via the ring.

so i think there is some use to the "standby" function, but to many IMO, is just superfluous.

I think Jetbeam or their dealer/s should teach their customers how to properly use their light.

Lunarcorey

Newly Enlightened
Actually I think this light is a little big as a EDC product, but it should be a good gadget for one when patrolling~~;)