How to clean threads of E1e tail cap?

LightChucker

Enlightened
The SureFire E1e has a spring and seat in the tail cap that gets in the way of cleaning the threads. The spring is easy to just pull out, but the seat is still in the way of cleaning the threads.

Does anyone know how to remove the spring seat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
Al,

This is just normal oxidation and grit from the air or my pocket - whatever. You can see it by wiping the male threads with a white rag or towel. It's very black. If you apply some oil (as is recomended by ARC) the dirt is desolved into suspension. Then you can wipe it away, and then apply clean lube.

Chuck

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't worry about that stuff, never have. Hasn't cause me any problems as far as I can tell. However, can you get some thin swabs like cotton buds but flat?
Perhaps from PC keyboard cleaning kit?

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
use a small allen wrench. you'll need to hold everything from spinning when you loosen the screw.

LightChucker

Enlightened
That's a good idea, Al.

I tried that, but the little fibers get caught on the threads and kind of make things worse. Also, the swab doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the female thread's groove, so it's not as perfect as when I clean the male threads.

There is an allen (hex) screw head at the center of the spring holder. I tried to turn it, thinking it might be the key to removing it, but there is no resistance; it just spins freely.

Maybe it's just pressed into place.

Chuck

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i see i posted while you were writing your reply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you will need to hold everything from spinning while you unscrew the allen-screw.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
use a small allen wrench. you'll need to hold everything from spinning when you loosen the screw.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the hard part...holding everything from spinning. I don't think I have a tool to fit in there to do the job.

Have you ever tried to do this? If so, what kind of tool did you use?

Thanks,

Chuck

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
yclo said:
Chuck, just press the rubber boot down on the tailcap.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

FANTASTIC! Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help!

Chuck

yclo

Flashaholic*
fbe03f1a.jpg

Bigger picture

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
its kinda crude and tedious, but what i do is repeatedly screw on and unscrew the tailcap, and clean the black gunk that accumulates on the battery tube until no more black gunk gets deposited.

usually i don't bother though, because the electrical path does not pass through the threads.