Down to 2, Quark 123 or Nitecore EX10

prisoner6

Newly Enlightened
I was originally leaning toward a 1x AA light, but I think I need to spend more time with the battery learning curve on those.

I read good things about both the Quark 123, either the Normal or Tactical, and the Nitecore EX10. Both are in a similar price point, so I'm trying to break down the pros and cons.

Quark 123:

Pros: Warranty, Centered Beam, Higher Output?, Low Mode Is Lower, Better Glass?, Lego

Cons: Two UI Choices?, Prefer Not To Use Twisty, Build Quality?

Nitecore EX10

Pros: Better UI?, Appearance, More Established? Better Tailcap

Cons: Less Output?, Price

Any input or thoughts? I'm thinking I need to pull the trigger on one soon so I can get my feet wet.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I don't own any Nitecore lights. From what I've read, you'd be very happy with either choice. I chose Quark due to a lower low, a higher maximum, and the pocket clip.

If you prefer the piston drive UI, the Nitecore might be a better choice for you. Also, I find that set brightness levels work well for me, so the infinitely adjustable brightness on the Nitecore isn't something I'm looking for.

jsmitty1967

Newly Enlightened
I have used both and I would go for the EX-10. I find the UI much better and I really don't think there is much of a comprimise as far as output goes. With the Nitecore it can serve as a twisty, clicky, and has momentary ability. You also have instant access to full high and full low, as well as user adjustable brightenss. A memory ability allows you to dial in level and return to it. Also I like that the PD system is silent, and to be honest just really cool. The Quark is a good light as well. Very nice beam and a killer moonlight low. I don't like having to cycle through strobes and signals to get back to it from a higher setting. I also don't like having to tighten the bezel to get full high. The only other thing I don't like about the quark is the bezel up carry and the way the clip rides on the body when you are taking it apart. I will echo the previous post in that you can't go wrong with either one. Personally the only way I would get the Quark is if I needed a super low or SOS/strobe. Hope this helps.

pobox1475

Enlightened
How do you intend to use this light? EDC? If so pocket or bag? Will it be used outdoors often? If so a warm tint option may be a + for you.

prisoner6

Newly Enlightened
I would classify it as a most everyday general use. Maybe a backup in some situations, but mostly a throw in the pocket and have it with me kind of use. Not a camp light or trail light.

Count

Newly Enlightened
I was down to the same two. I decided about 5 minutes ago, after days of research, to get the Quark 123. I want the EX10 also, but I'm going to hold off on it until Nitecore puts a XP-G in it. I figured the EX10 could benefit more from a LED upgrade since it already puts out considerably less lumens than the Quark. But I hope Nitecore upgrades it SOOOON! I would also love to see a lower low on a upgraded EX10...I can hope, can't I? ;)

Gatsby

Enlightened
Not to cloud the waters, but in the same rough price range I really prefer the Liteflux LF3XT functionality to the EX10 (and can only speak to the Quarks via reference to Fenix counterparts, haven't owned one, but the tactical in particular seems good).

The EX10 user interface drove me nuts as I use the lowest and highest settings often - and the only way to get back to the user level is to ramp up or down respectively. Meaning the user level is always a moving target for me. I like the Liteflux compact interface better, and prefer the Novatac or Ra Clicky interface to them all actually, but that is definitely more expensive.

Konad

Newly Enlightened
I have both and like and use both of them. If you get the regular Quark 123 you will not have to ramp up and down for the output. The Nitecore can ramp and it is pretty easy to go from the preset to max high or low.

Get both! :twothumbs

ThesaurZA

Newly Enlightened
The EX-10 is a bit smaller and it has a better clip option for pocket carry. Also, you have the choice of getting it with the SP UI if you don't like the regular ramping UI. It's also more floody than the Q123. But the piston drives need a bit of loving right out of the box - you have to lube them properly and 'break in' the piston seal. Sometimes you'll also miss a press with the piston drive. If you can live with this, go for the EX10. Take the Q123 tactical if you want a 'no fuss' light.

prisoner6

Newly Enlightened
Ultimately, I think what will make me go EX10 is that I prefer the one-hand use for multiple power levels. I don't want to have to twist to choose. Also, I like that I can choose whether to go momentary on or not with ethe EX10, though that brings me back to twisting. Hmmmmm.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Nitecore, but I have 3 Quarks. The 123 has been in my pocket since I got it - not a mark on it yet. Programming takes NO TIME and I've left it with 'moonlight' and wide open. My 123.2 is strobe and wide open. I have the neutral tint on both and really like the color rendition. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but the UI is, IMHO, no big deal - and I guess ultimately it depends on how many different options you want at any given time. the beauty of this forum is the fact that EVERYONE has an opinion, and 99.9% of them are solid opinions with great logic behind them.

I sure do love the Lego capability of my 3 Quarks and my extra battery tube and clicky....

:eek:

prisoner6

Newly Enlightened
And that's the thing. They both appear to have very happy users, and excellent capabilities.

I may go with one in 123 and one in AA. If you did that, which is the better combo?

EX10 / Quark AA

or

D10 / Quark 123

jcw122

Enlightened
Nitecores from 4sevens are lifetime warranty, so warranty for the Quark isn't an advantage. Nevertheless, who the heck is going to have a light that long anyway.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
And that's the thing. They both appear to have very happy users, and excellent capabilities.

I may go with one in 123 and one in AA. If you did that, which is the better combo?

EX10 / Quark AA

or

D10 / Quark 123

Definitely a personal choice. I have a Fenix L1D Q5 in AA that I almost never use. Too dim for me, in spite of it's ratings and a bit longer than the Quark. So, for EDC I'd pick the 123 version, for 'other' duty I'd pick the AA. Not a big difference in size, but there will be some. The AA will be longer, right? Shoot, half the fun is deciding...

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Nitecores from 4sevens are lifetime warranty, so warranty for the Quark isn't an advantage. Nevertheless, who the heck is going to have a light that long anyway.

Are you sue about the Nitecores. I thought the warranty was for 2 years?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
fi don't own any nitecore but i made a similar choice before i bought my quark123, i got the regular because the tailstand ability comes in handy, i boiled it down to output, battery life, and aesthetics, (mostly output). For me, the quark won hands down, but when nitecore upgrades their LED i'll prolly get one of those also. My quark is still rockin the old XPE and its perfect been in my pocket except for a 1 week period where i thought i had lost it forever, i actually found it today!! so happy! i have all these other great/better lights, but it was very prodigal son-ish lol.

Norm

Retired Administrator
The EX10 user interface drove me nuts as I use the lowest and highest settings often - and the only way to get back to the user level is to ramp up or down respectively.
Double click for low, click and hold for high, no ramping necessary.
Norm