G2 Nitrolon switch wear?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Its hard to overstate the simplicity and reliability of the basic twisty switch (for the G's and Z41's). Have a look here:

1zewm4w.jpg

One cylinder twisting inside a larger cylinder. As you tighten down the cap, the threads push the flange at the top of the disk into contact with the end of the tube. The contact area is both massive and unyielding. Wear would occur with the gasket that centers the disk (installed in that groove shown in the first picture) or in the threads themselves.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If you constantly over tighten the switch you could eventually warp them and strip them I suppose.

Luckily some teflon tape will take up the thread slack if you have any and you can try to keep in mind that when the light comes on - stop twisting.

I've seen G series lights at work on the belts of our maintence guys that are really old and beaten but besides melted lenses none of them have had any switch problems other than wearing thru the momentary switch's rubber.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
OK thanks... thats good information.
I was wondering how wear-resistant the plastic is around the threads, where the cap and body threads slide against each other.

thanks... sounds like its pretty durable.

Larry237

Newly Enlightened
I have several G-2's in our cars and have given about half a dozen to friends and relatives. Some of these have been heavily used for up to five years and there haven't been any problems with switches or anything else. These seem to be rugged and reliable lights.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great pics, EG. You know, for all the wonderful ideas that have come from SF (including the P-series drop-in), I think that the Z41-type switch is arguably the best flashlight invention ever, IMO. Every flashlight (in my pre-CPF days) that has ever failed me did so in the switch.

:bow: SF Z41

Last edited: