Will there be a 300+ Lumen XP-G Flashlight?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Will there soon be a 300+ lumen XP-G mass produced flashlight?

My guess is if anybody drives this bin hard it may be Eagletac. Anybody know if they have one in the works?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will there soon be a 300+ lumen XP-G mass produced flashlight?

My guess is if anybody drives this bin hard it may be Eagletac. Anybody know if they have one in the works?

I have no idea if anything is in the works, but I'd imagine it is definitely possible. Considering that Eagletac was able to get over 260 lumens out the front on their old lights which used either an Q5 or R2.

The 2AA Quark Ti is only driving at 700ma, and it's over 200 lumens out the front. I could only imagine how bright it would be if driven at 1.2 amps!!!

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
+1

If anyone does it, it will be Eagletac. Of all manufacturers they seem to drive their LEDs hardest, and they have pretty good efficiency while they do it. They are also good about offering a neutral white option.
buttrock.gif

guardpost3

Enlightened
the quark Ti123² is 240 OTF, so if that is only a 20% loss from the emitter then they are right at 300 lumens, more if the numbers are based on a higher percentage of loss.

and thrunite is producing an XPG drop in with 345 lumens

recDNA

Flashaholic
the quark Ti123² is 240 OTF, so if that is only a 20% loss from the emitter then they are right at 300 lumens, more if the numbers are based on a higher percentage of loss.

and thrunite is producing an XPG drop in with 345 lumens

It seems like drop ins always claim or actually have higher numbers but I'mm strictly a production model guy.

I like the XP-G beam profile and it shouldn't get as hot as the small MC-E lights so if it can even approach their output I can't wait!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta be EagleTac.

I think that ET can stuff the xp-g into the '100' series.
P100A2 driving the xp-g at 800mA
P100C2 driving at 1,000ma
T100C2 mkII at 1.2 amps.
You'd figure 200, 250, 300 OTF lumens, would be good conservative numbers

or maybe 275, 335, 400 inflationary numbers.

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Yes, I'm pretty sure you'll see a light with over 300 OTF, maybe before Christmas but more likely January. :sssh:

Wolf Eyes is working on upgrading the D26 modules with the XP-G which should be rated around 320 at the emitter.

I think an EagleTac M2XC4 with XP-Gs would be quite interesting! :D No, I'm not aware of any plans yet.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S2 bin will do 400 emitter lumens at 1 amp and 300 lumens at 700mA. I'm waiting for that S2 bin to upgrade my Dinotte bicycle light, it has a current regulator set at 750mA so the sucker will be bright. Maybe by Christmas Cutter should have that bin since they are sampling now.

I would say Merry Christmas as EagleTac should have them out by then.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The S2 bin will do 400 emitter lumens at 1 amp and 300 lumens at 700mA. I'm waiting for that S2 bin to upgrade my Dinotte bicycle light, it has a current regulator set at 750mA so the sucker will be bright. Maybe by Christmas Cutter should have that bin since they are sampling now.

Looking at your sig reminds me Peak has one coming out too. I've always wanted a brass flashlight.

The key is the circuit must be designed for XP-G to get the most out of it. Just replacing an R2 with an XP-G in the exact same flashlight won't do enough

recDNA

Flashaholic

Will it burn your hand in a small flashlight like an MC-E? I'm looking for something around 5 inches without a giant head on it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't see why not, the technology is already there, provided you use low resistance cells. The real question is how well heatsinked the design will be and how far its Lumen output will drop from thermal issues. I also question the color tint quality from Cree. Some of the early reports of green tint leave me holding back on any high $$ purchases.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't see why not, the technology is already there, provided you use low resistance cells. The real question is how well heatsinked the design will be and how far its Lumen output will drop from thermal issues. I also question the color tint quality form Cree. Some of the early reports of green tint leave me holding back on any high $$ purchases.

Yes, I'm assuming bins will be separated by color as time goes on with the green ones going to DX type stuff. I want to something to tell my wife to buy me for Xmas! I'd love the M2XC4 but I know I'd use it so seldom it isn't worth the money for me. I use 1 X CR123 and 2 X CR123 sized flashlights all the time. My TK40 produces a gorgeous beam but it's so big I hardly ever reach for it. The hugely expensive multi-emitter light cannons that are bigger than 4 D Maglites look cool but when the heck would I ever use one?

Despite the green I would still buy a 2 X CR123 Titianium Quark if they made more...but I'd settle for an aluminum one for the same price if the beam were white.

S2 though...hmm...maybe not by Xmas but my birthday is in the spring!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce L2 Host for 18650 cells................$24.99
Thrunite XP-G R5 Drop-in (345 lumens).........$33.95
AW 2600 18650 cell...................................$16.00 (roughly)
total.......................................................$74.94
coupon code cpf at Lighthound.com takes off 2%
Buy something cheap to bring the total up to $75 and you have free shipping.
Going this route, you can more cheaply update to better l.e.d.s when they come out without having to replace the entire light.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
in a email i sent to eagletac last week concerning warranty work, i happened to mention looking forward to a xp-g light from them. et responded that their r&d was working on it, and that they should have it to customers soon. soon sounds like a four letter word to me.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will it burn your hand in a small flashlight like an MC-E? I'm looking for something around 5 inches without a giant head on it.

So you are looking for the p100c2, preferably in neutral-white.

Same here.