Lantern Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at getting a lantern...here is what I'd like, whats the best:

1. Rechargable
2. Flourescent
3. Weatherproof (just splashing, doesn't have to go underwater)
4. Would like to have two dual flourescent tubes, four tubes total..

I've seen the selection at wallyworld, and I saw a nice energizer brand, but it wasn't rechargable and took 8 D cells, how descent are the rechargables?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snakebite is selling slightly used wheelchair pack rechargeable 5000 mAh NiCad D cells for $2.50 @. I bought and traded for 22 of his D cells which I intend to use in applications designed for multiple alkaline D cells.

$20 for 8 rechargeable 5000 mAh D cells you can use in that lantern or whatever seems like a good buy to me.

I have found that the 4 and 8 cell lanterns work fine on the relatively constant 1.2 V of a rechargeable because they appear to be designed to ride alkaline voltage drops down to or below 1.0 V per cell.

I normally don't buy devices that are designed as rechargeable because they are usually either overpriced compared to components or the mAh rating is lower than what one can do with separately purchased rechargeable cells. Battery packs in particular, are a strong as their weakest cell while separate cells can be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.