What has Longest Throw 4 under $100?

jorocketoz

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please tell me which flash light (which takes 1 or 2 18650 batteries. oh and uses a cree I spose) has the longest throw for under $100?

I recently purchased an Ultrafire UF-007 from ebay only to find that my Ultrafire C8 has a longer throw (which was the point of buying the UF-007 as I wanted something better than my C8).

Thankyou

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiablo A9

$70,

throw monster.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/245616

While the Arc Mania X6 Ostar cost $400 it is one of my dream lights:thumbsup: and if I had that money floating around I would buy one:twothumbs. However it has as perfect a round throwing beam as you will find. Also you have to understand the Task Force is rated at about 6,500 Lux, so there would be a huge difference in throw. That is the reason I don't believe you would be impressed with it next to your Mg P7, since EL's Mag P7 produces like 13,000 Lux. However if beam shape is not a problem the Tiablo A9 will produce a staggering 66,000 Lux:thumbsup:. However if you had the money for the X6 Ostar you might as well buy a DEFT, which is like "Saabluster will have to chime in" about 123,000-160,000 Lux:eek::naughty:! Also your Spear clone should out throw the Task Force by a good margin "around 15,000-22,000 Lux."

Last edited:

jorocketoz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Waddup, Where is the best place to purchase it? Also in the thread about it that u mention it talks about aspheric lens. Do I have to get one of these for it and if so where from?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I would strongly recommend the Dorcy 220 lumen rechargeable if its NI-CD battery would be okay with you.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the Dereelight DBS V3 that runs on a single 18650 has better throw than the tiablo A9. Its under $100 from Flashcrazy at flashlightconnection dot com. From the tests I have seen there is nothing better in that price range, holds regulation better using the 18650 battery as well.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The DBS would be the best in this price range. Remember that more output doesn't mean more throw, so go for the single die version (the none MC-E version).

You can also check the Marketplace and see if a better deal pops up.

An aspheric head will replace the reflector. It focuses the light from the LED into a hotspot with no spill. It should throw more then the reflector, but also cost more money.

:welcome:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My best normal thrower is the Jetbeam Raptor RRT2, which should be king in the compact class. The Raptor RRT1 throws much better, but is larger and more expensive. I belive that the DBS is the best price offer.

I let the DBS out and got an aspherical head for the CL1H-V4 yesterday. That's really the somewhat cheap way for throw. It outhrows the RRT2 by far, but the beam, better named quadratic hotspot, is horrible. I use the Q4-5A pill, so that the color distorsions are not so visible, on teh edges it varies from yellow over orange, brown to violet. Forget about it and focus on the tiny area in the middle, which is nearly pure white even with the 5A pill. That light is quite small and has a large and heavy head, you can always switch back to teh normal head in 2 minutes. The aspheric works with the DBS and the CL1H-V4.

If you want it versatile, get the CL1H and the head, if you want throw and super-throw, get the DBS and the head. Or get the NOHS version and the head, tehn you get flood (not really though...) and super-throw! :eek:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the MG RX-1 throws slightly better than the DBS.

dbsvsasp.jpg

Left DBS. Right MG RX-1. (crappy phone cam)

That is unless, of course, the DBS is fitted with an aspheric head.

asp1m.jpg

Last edited:

chef4850

Enlightened
+1 on the DBS single die and a second on the tiablo a9. DBS is a much better light IMOP. fit and finnish is better and I like the beam better as well. You can always upgrade the DBS and the aspheric lens is a must see!

Chef

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
I also agree. I love my DBS. I also have the aspheric lens for it. Very impressive throw. Dereelight will hopefully soon come out with an XP-E pill/reflector to even make it throw more.

jorocketoz

Newly Enlightened
Where can I purchase the aspherical head for the DBS V3 and how much is it?

Also Thanks everyone, that is fantastic information being so new to this world of light.

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
Where can I purchase the aspherical head for the DBS V3 and how much is it?

Also Thanks everyone, that is fantastic information being so new to this world of light.

The Dereelight and Tiablo aspheric lens can be bought at flashlightconnection.com, I think they are like 30 bucks.

And yes, I know they make the MC-E pill but that is not really made for the smooth reflector.

jorocketoz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks rhotondm, I found it. Should have used the search function on their site to start...ha.

jorocketoz

Newly Enlightened
What will give a better (longer throw) out of the DBS V3 that uses 2 X CR123 or the version that uses 1 X 18650?

Also with the different versions of the DBS V3 what is the difference between the "cree 5A Q4" and the "cree R2 WD"? which one will give a better throw?

Finally from these two questions which combination will give the best throw out of all the DBS V3 versions which are offered at flashlightconnection?

I want to get cool white of some version. I will also get an aspheric lens of course.

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
http://flashlightco683.corecommerce.com/FAQs-7.html

This page will answer your question on the brightness of each pill. The R2 is the brightest for throw. Obviously the MC-E puts out around 500L but it is meant for the OP reflector(flood/spill).

DBS V3 3SM Cree R2 WD Flashlight (neutral/cool white tint), that is the setup I have and I think it is the best they currently have to offer for throw. From my understanding, if you get a two cell configuration the light will be regulated. Meaning you won't notice the battery drain as much as if you use only one 18650. Somebody else will prolly be able to confirm the battery configuration better than me.
That FAQ page should help you a bunch. Also look at the decision guide page.

Latest posts