V - the new series.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an avid sci-fi fan and I watched the reimagined V last night. It shows some promise IMO. I remember watching the original series back in High School. Anyone else catch it?
I tend to like seeing updated/reimagined charaters and stories. There is certainly no shortage of remakes in Hollywood but there are a few that do a really good job. I read that there are going to be 4 episodes in November and the series will continue in the late winter early spring. Hope it delivers.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a re-make?! I hope it's going to be as good a re-make as Battlestar Galactica. I LIKE the original series, never missed a single episode. If I remember correctly, the good alien guy who had a baby with an earthling was Freddy Krueger? :laughing:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a re-make?! I hope it's going to be as good a re-make as Battlestar Galactica. I LIKE the original series, never missed a single episode. If I remember correctly, the good alien guy who had a baby with an earthling was Freddy Krueger? :laughing:

Yeah it was Freddy. I remember when they would pick up rats by the tail and eat them.:sick2: :barf:
IIRC the half breed baby grew up fast and became a hottie.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it was Freddy. I remember when they would pick up rats by the tail and eat them.:sick2: :barf:

That rat-eating part WAS the highlight of the series, kind of realistic too. What was that sticking out? Cotton candy?... plus the revelation of the (*SPOILER!* :laughing:) lizard skin of course.

The alien leader was a hottie too, I do remember the warm fuzzy feeling with the way she er, had her uniform zipped.

gunga

Flashaholic
I recoreded it, will be checking it out in a few days. Looking forward to it since I saw the mini-series in the 80s. THe TV series that followed was terrible tho.

Yeah, you guys remember Jane Badler?

;)

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
We Tivo'd it and watched it late last night. My fiance does not care much for most Sci Fi, but she did like this, and she is hooked on FlashForward as well.

I will have to wait to see how the next few episodes are before I have any strong opinion, but I enjoyed the pilot, so it looks promising.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched it, and liked it. I'll try to catch it again next week. I remember the original series in the 80's, but never really got into it back then. Maybe this time will be different.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw it and liked it. Got two Firefly actors in it! How cool is that? But, yeah, I agree, it shows promise. I also watched the original in high school. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

mwaldron

Enlightened
I watched it the first time around as well, and I enjoyed it although an honest appraisal would conclude it was horrible.

The first episode appears to be pretty much exactly what I remember from the old series, which makes me laugh at all the people accusing it of being politically charged. It is of course politically charged, but they didn't invent this stuff specifically for taking a shot at anyone. All they did was modernize the terms and rehash the story. If you see yourself in it and don't like what you see then it seems to me that introspection is necessary not outrage.

Anyway, not much was really covered beyond character introductions, I am looking forward to the next episode.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember Jane Badler Gunga! She had that wicked stare.

Didn't the original have just one ship that President Reagan took in as political refugees?

If the movies "Independance Day" and "They Live" had a love child, this would be it!

This has promise. I like gratuitus violence, good special effects, and evil aliens.

1wrx7

Enlightened

"Here mousey mousey mousey....Mmmmm.... mousey"....:crackup:

I was young when the original was aired, and I loved it. I watched some of the original when they showed it again last weekend. There was a scene where a female alien removes and hands over her uniform to help the main character escape the mother ship;)... seeing that again brought back fond childhood memories:thumbsup:

I'll have to set the DVR to make sure I can check out the remake.

seaside

Enlightened
I watched it, and throughly disappointed.

Despite graphics and all eyecandies, it still feels like the SF version of "days of our lives". Dumber kids, stupid adults, plots that does not make sense, yeah, everything in these days are like that so I can live with that. But, please, can you drama guys stop trying to make a senseless romance out of everything?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LOL! Tonight's episode seems to be following some of the behind the scenes that we saw with ABC's Lost (besides the use of character(s)). About 41 mins into tonight's episode speaking to dead agent's wife, they clearly showed a list of two repeating phone numbers:

866-907-3235 & 347-692-1681

Interestingly, the first one does not answer but has a history of being the phone number used by the Supernatural show with recorded messages by the male lead, Dean Winchester.

The second number goes to someone's voicemail that traces to a cell phone in New York City, and has an answering box. I left a message. God help them if it is a real number of some innocent person. They are going to get hosed pretty quickly.

copperfox

Enlightened
LOL! Tonight's episode seems to be following some of the behind the scenes that we saw with ABC's Lost (besides the use of character(s)). About 41 mins into tonight's episode speaking to dead agent's wife, they clearly showed a list of two repeating phone numbers:

866-907-3235 & 347-692-1681

Interestingly, the first one does not answer but has a history of being the phone number used by the Supernatural show with recorded messages by the male lead, Dean Winchester.

The second number goes to someone's voicemail that traces to a cell phone in New York City, and has an answering box. I left a message. God help them if it is a real number of some innocent person. They are going to get hosed pretty quickly.

Lux, you are the man.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having a hard time getting into this. The story's ok, AFAICT from 2 eps, but the physics in the shuttle scenes are jarringly wrong. If you put big scorching engines on the back of your ship, you'd better make sure they seem to provide at least the horizontal propulsive force. If, OTOH, you have some sort of invisible counter-grav drive that can make the trajectories we saw plausible, don't show fixed rockets doing a constant burn! :ohgeez:

Making me shift from passive viewer to concerned engineer is ok, and usually good*; I'll spend a few minutes extra replaying and examining the action in question, and probably rewatch the entire episode uninterrupted the next day. But making me shift straight to irate engineer is unequivocally bad, since there's no mental exercise to compensate for the disruption, and no motivation to rewatch. (Since I can't resolve the issue, it'll just jar me out again.)

*Example: In the Battlestar Galactica season 1 episode "Hand of God", when Apollo pulls a U-turn into the canyon leading up to the conveyor tunnel. On first watching, the physics looked off, somehow cartoonish. But rewatching carefully, it made perfect sense, given no atmosphere and ultra-low gravity. Of course, this was well worth rewatching anyway; the entire episode is rock-solid, and the hangar-deck celebration scene at the end is one of my all-time favorites.